New Oil Cap - $15 upgrade

I just never liked my stock oil cap. Something about it never set well with me. I have seen the Billet oil caps and they are nice but I have a black engine (Gen 1 Skunk) - plus I'm starting to load up on carbon fiber so I didn't want to go chrome.
I ran across this cheap little oil cap on Ebay. Actually cheap only refers to the price. It is metal and it is pretty solid. I also think it's pretty attractive. So I'm sitting at home one night and decided to buy one of these:

YAMAHA OIL CAP R1 R6 R6S FZ6 FZ1 FAZER FZR 400 YZF 750 | eBay

I have to tell you - I'm pretty impressed. It is a nice little upgrade for $15. Plus - it is MUCH better than the stock oil cap (which is pretty close to the same price). I'm pretty sure it works for you R1 and R6 guys also.
Not much to this review. An oil cap has to keep oil in the crankcase and if it looks nice - that is a bonus. I think this does both. I like this cap and I would recommend it to anyone. It's not as nice as some of the brand names but it's pretty good for $15.
Here it is on my bike:

IMAG0564.jpg

**EDIT**
Patrice did point out that these caps are a little tough to pull off. I agree. However, I put on a pair of work gloves (helped get a grip on the metal) and it came off pretty easy. So I guess that is something you should consider.

Last edited:
That looks good thepopularjock. Just so happens I fitted my Rizoma Oil Cap yesterday. It has been sitting around for months but I changed the oil yesterday in preparation for my trip to Phillip Island and finally put it on. The thing I like about it is that you get to lock wire the cap on. This meant I had to buy lock wire and lock wire pliers but any excuse to buy new tools is fine by me.

attachment.php

Last edited:
That looks good thepopularjock. Just so happens I fitted my Rizoma Oil Cap yesterday. It has been sitting around for months but I changed the oil yesterday in preparation for my trip to Phillip Island and finally put it on. The thing I like about it is that you get to lock wire the cap on. This meant I had to buy lock wire and lock wire pliers but any excuse to buy new tools is fine by me.

attachment.php

That's pretty cool Bluey. How much did the whole set up cost you?
I'm a tool collector myself :D

I've got one of those! It's a pain to get off though.
IMG_20110425_153955.jpg

Can't decide which one I like best so I swap them out with each oil change!
IMG_20110425_153857.jpg

I've got the blue on now but it'll get switched later in the week when I do my oil change.

Last edited:
I agree that it was a little tough to take off with my bare hands. I put on my work gloves and got a good grip on it - it came off pretty easily with gloves.
I guess I should add that to my original post.

I have had the same one in silver for about 2 years now. I have had no issues removing it but then again I gently use a crescent wrench. I just love the logo on it.

I've got one of those! It's a pain to get off though.

Yea, I have one of those too and yes sometimes it takes quite a bit of force to remove. I usually only change the oil once a year so it's not that big a deal. I also got the master cylinder cover with the Yamaha logo on it ;)

attachment.php

Yoshimura cap for me. Billet aluminum w/ magnosonian finish, so you know it is fast(er).

standard.jpg

Hey that looks really cool. It also looks like the knurled section has been drilled to accomodate lock wire. I can give you some, I bought a 1lb container and have so far used about 1/1000th of an ounce. :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Back