new owner, initial impressions...

cjbottaro

Well that was quick. I posted here on Monday and ended up buying one on Tuesday... :) I'm the proud new owner of a 2008 red FZ1 with 5550 miles. I think I got a good deal on it also... $5800. Not sure. KBB is $6000, but it needs new tires, I think.

I have lots of questions/comments. Bear in mind that 95% of my experience comes from SV650s (both first and second gen).

1) I have to give it a lot of gas and ride the clutch to get it started in first. I'm still not used to it. With the SV, you can just slowly let off the clutch and not even give it any gas and it will move nicely.

2) It vibrates... a lot. More so than the SV which is surprising. After riding the SV for 1.5 hours, my hands get uncomfortable and tingle. Seems like the FZ1 does it in just 15 mins.

3) This is the most important issue and would like feedback on this. It's VERY reluctant to turn. The SV you can toss around so easily. You barely push on the handle bar and it dips down quickly and sharply. The SV responds very quickly to steering inputs and has a huge response to counter steering. I felt like I was fighting the FZ1 to lean down. It was like I had to do more than counter steer; I had to really use my body weight to push the bike down to lean and turn. It just wants to stay upright. Is there any way to make the FZ more nimble? Maybe it's the stock tires? Maybe it's the handle bars? The steering geometry? The fork angle? I remember replacing the stock tires on the SV and it made a huge difference in the bike more readily wanting to lean over.

4) It's fast. Even at 3k RPM it feels like it has more torque than the SV (at any RPM). The gears are really tall also. I mainly just putt around in 3rd gear and it has plenty of acceleration and plenty of top speed for me. Even though it has gobs of power, I never felt like the front end would come up (and I rolled on the gas pretty hard a few times too).

All in all, I'm quite pleased with it. I would like to sort out the handle vibration issue and its seeming reluctance to turn, but all in all I'm happy with my purchase... and needless to say, am constantly fighting the urge to go ride it... :)

If this post didn't make it clear... I'm still gushing over the power. It's a WORLD of difference over the SV. It just pulls and pulls and doesn't let up. The SV would lose it's guts at 70+ mph... the FZ just keeps pulling hard. Crazy. Heh, never pictured myself on a liter bike... but I think I like it.

Oops, forgot to ask... is there any way to lower the seat by 0.5 to 1.0 inch? Or the ride height or something? I can put both heels on the ground, but not with as wide a stance as I'd like. Thanks!

I know changing the stock tyres does help the nimbleness a bit, especially if they are the stock Michelin roads.

Oh, re the revving to get moving - mine does that too. Seems to be normal.

Excessive vibration is something I haven't noticed though. I'm a relatively new purchaser too (2 weeks old).

First, congratulations on your new bike. They are very handsome in red for sure.

Second, don't worry about the roll on in first gear. You are experiencing the difference between the twins, which you are very used to, and the inline 4's. The twins, as you say, get rolling simply by just letting off the clutch with virtually no throttle. The 4's require very precise movements as they have, in my experience, a very narrow friction zone. That makes them more difficult to learn on compared to the twins but once your brain locks in on that narrow and precise friction zone you're good to go. Yes, you do have to give some throttle at the appropriate time as you come off the clutch in first gear, unlike the twins which virtually get started on their own as you release the clutch. As an experienced rider you'll adapt quickly to this. You'll also find out that once you've mastered this you'll probably be able to "take off" quicker from a stop. Many a big V-twin fellow who have tried my I-4's stall them at first because they do not realize what a narrow friction zone they have. A cop friend of mine who had ridden Harley's for years jumped on his son's R1 and the thing nearly shot out from under him because he gave it too much throttle as he passed through that narrow friction zone.

Now the vibration and handling: This is not right at all and I'm pretty sure this is your tires. Research tire threads and magazine reviews and get the tires that sound best for you. I personally loved the Michellin Pilot Powers which have outrageous stickiness and handling, although they don't last long in my experience as compared to some other tires. The FZ1 should be practically turning by telepathy. I found it to be an incredible bike in the corners. In fact, compared to the Kawasaki C14 I have now it required very little effort to throw it back and forth in the switchbacks. If its not the tires have a mechanic check it out. In fact you may even want to check it out before or concurrently with changing the tires. But I'm thinking its the tires because I've read many a thread on many a forums where someone was very disappointed with a used bike's handling that they just bought and then found that changing the tires changed everything.

The vibration may also relate to the tires but again it's worth checking with a mechanic on this as well. The FZ6 I owned was a little buzzy but I really didn't think this was a problem at all on the FZ1. This is a funny thing though because I've heard people complain about vibration and hand numbness and tingling on just about any bike. I'll leave it to some of the other members to give further thoughts on this as well.

Definitely get these things sorted out because although you're being very kind to tell us you still enjoy the bike with all these shortcomings I can tell you I would not be pleased at all with a new (to me) bike that didn't steer well or vibrated my hands to the point that they were uncomfortable.

vibes

Have you checked the torque on your engine mount bolts?
Also, you might want to check if your throttle bodies are in sync. You'll need access to a tool like this though.
http://www.carbtune.com/

I experienced the same as Norm. My previous FZ6 had more buzz than my FZ1. Good luck, ride safe.

Congratulations on the new bike! I'm sure you'll live it once you get used to it.

With regards your handling issues, firstly I'd get the suspension set-up for your weight and riding style, also check tyre pressures. The standard tyres don't really help the handling much, if you change them for something more sports biased, you'll find the bike turns in a lot quicker.

For the buzzyness or vibration, I'd start by checking all nuts and bolts with a torque wrench in case something's loose. After that i'd look at synching the throttle bodies. O did this to mine and it helped reduce the vibrations.

Congrats! Well, it sounds like you got a used bike with a few issues to iron out but it can be done.

I agree with everyone here... first thing is to get the service manual and start torquing every nut and bolt you can access starting with the engine mounts. Remember, when torquing, always back it out a bit first by loosening, then tighten with the correct torque.

Ride height. The FZ1 has a dogbone link on the rear. For not a lot of money, you can purchase an aftermarket link that will lower the bike. They are available in several sizes. When you do this, you'll also want to drop the triples in the forks. If you drop the triples enough, this will also help with the turn-in on the corners. I have not lowered the rear of the bike but did raise the forks 10mm and the bike literally FALLS into the corners. I may have to come back up 4mm and stay at 6mm because it it a bit much.

Last, to shorten the gearing, order a 2001-2005 OEM FZ1 front sprocket with 16 teeth and apply this to the bike. Changes this girl into a mad woman! :D You'll love it coming from the SV650! :tup:

+1 on getting your suspension setup-- this should make a huge difference. When I had my '06 1000rr, the stock suspension settings were way off, but I didn't realize that until I had a suspension guy perform a baseline setup trackside. After that, the bike was like a scalpel!

Jumping on the FZ1 after the 1000rr, I was very impressed with how nimble this bike is despite being heavier, but I think the wide bars help.

You already mentioned in your first post that it probably needs new tires. If the original tires are on there, its likely that the profile has degraded from normal use and a new set will also transform how the bike handles.

I would start with those two items for the handling. Lowering the suspension will throw new variables into the mix though- as was already mentioned, you'll likely need to raise the forks in the triples to compensate, but that is less than ideal and can sometimes compromise cornering stability if the front end is lowered too much. Its sounds like there are plenty of people who have had to do this however, so do some searching before hand to figure out what the ideal height should be.

Congrats on the purchase! I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and LOVE it.

Having to slip the clutch during take-offs is definitely due to the tall gearing. I didn't like it either. Putting a 16T sprocket on the front fixed this issue and made it much more pleasant to do the low speed parking lot stuff too. As mentioned, get the OEM front sprocket from the '01 - '05 at the dealer (I think I paid $34 OTD) and your bike will feel a lot more like your SV did in the lower gears.

I noticed I was fighting to get the bike to turn too. Most of my previous riding was on an EX500. I've played with the suspension, but I'm a big dude at 270# and I'm sure I won't be able to get it right until I invest in a new rear shock/spring and I don't have the cash for that right now. I think a lot of it was just getting used to a heavier bike and I'm much more comfortable tossing it into a turn now that I'm used to it.

The vibration is NOT normal so rest assured that you're not going to be stuck with a buzzy bike after you figure out that issue.

Wow, this forum is great. Thanks for all the replies, I enjoyed reading all of them.

So it looks like the consensus is tires. I know the exact ones I want... the Dunlop Roadsmart Sport Touring tires. Loved them on the SV and definitely noticed a big difference in the bike wanting to lean after replacing the stock tires... hope for the same effect on the FZ.

Then some bolt tightening and next stop will be a suspension guy. I know an old coworker that raved about one here in Austin who is also reasonably priced.

Thanks, everyone.

Oops, forgot to ask... is there any way to lower the seat by 0.5 to 1.0 inch? Or the ride height or something? I can put both heels on the ground, but not with as wide a stance as I'd like. Thanks!

I (well, we) just installed a lowering link on my FZ1...made a huge difference! I went from a ballerina postion to about an inch before my heel touches the ground. It was pretty easy to install & didn't take very long, but you'll need an extra pair of hands.

SOUPY'S MOTORCYCLE LOWERING KITS, HONDA LOWERING, KAWASAKI LOWERING, YAMAHA LOWERING, SUZUKI LOWERING, TRIUMPH LOWERING, SPEED TRIPLE LOWERING, STREET TRIPLE LOWERING, GSXR LOWERING LINK, GSXR LOWERING KIT, RAISING LINKS, RISER LINK, KAWASAKI ZX14 LO

and welcome to the forum ;)

Last edited:
Congrats on the new ride! It was great listening to your decision in progress on the other thread.

I will say with no doubt it's your tires! If they are the original with 5,500 miles on them, they probably have flat spots in the center (especially in Texas) and need to be replaced. The front tire losing it's profile will do exactly what you're describing, and the bike will handle like a Mack truck!

Change very few things at once. Concentrate on correcting the current issues prior to making lowering adjustments or suspension changes. Someone good with suspension adjustments will help a lot, someone who is tinkering can make a bad problem worse.

Start with the turning. I wouldn't be surprised if the tires are starting to pill as well. Another way to check for suspension issues is to look at your front tire. Is it smooth all the way around from the center to the edges, or are there small "bumps" when you spin the wheel on your fingers?

What Norm said is perfect on the difference between slipping the clutch on an I4 vs a V2.

If the tires are bumpy you may find a lot of the vibration is taken care of as well when replaced. You do have to realize this is the nature of the beast, and I would ask at what rpms are you feeling the most vibration? Make sure both wheels are in alignment. Take the bike onto it's center stand and spin the rear wheel. Is it tracking straight? No excessive slack in the chain? Don't rely solely on the swingarm marks. Then spin the front wheel. Do you hear intermittent "slicing" sounds like it's rotors are rubbing on the pads?

Start with the simple stuff and go from there. Remember as with any quantifiable measurement, the more variables you change at any one time will make it harder to figure out which one was effective.

Now, show us some photos!

Congrats.

Well that was quick. I posted here on Monday and ended up buying one on Tuesday... :) I'm the proud new owner of a 2008 red FZ1 with 5550 miles. I think I got a good deal on it also... $5800. Not sure. KBB is $6000, but it needs new tires, I think.

I have lots of questions/comments. Bear in mind that 95% of my experience comes from SV650s (both first and second gen).

1) I have to give it a lot of gas and ride the clutch to get it started in first. I'm still not used to it. With the SV, you can just slowly let off the clutch and not even give it any gas and it will move nicely.

2) It vibrates... a lot. More so than the SV which is surprising. After riding the SV for 1.5 hours, my hands get uncomfortable and tingle. Seems like the FZ1 does it in just 15 mins.

3) This is the most important issue and would like feedback on this. It's VERY reluctant to turn. The SV you can toss around so easily. You barely push on the handle bar and it dips down quickly and sharply. The SV responds very quickly to steering inputs and has a huge response to counter steering. I felt like I was fighting the FZ1 to lean down. It was like I had to do more than counter steer; I had to really use my body weight to push the bike down to lean and turn. It just wants to stay upright. Is there any way to make the FZ more nimble? Maybe it's the stock tires? Maybe it's the handle bars? The steering geometry? The fork angle? I remember replacing the stock tires on the SV and it made a huge difference in the bike more readily wanting to lean over.

4) It's fast. Even at 3k RPM it feels like it has more torque than the SV (at any RPM). The gears are really tall also. I mainly just putt around in 3rd gear and it has plenty of acceleration and plenty of top speed for me. Even though it has gobs of power, I never felt like the front end would come up (and I rolled on the gas pretty hard a few times too).

All in all, I'm quite pleased with it. I would like to sort out the handle vibration issue and its seeming reluctance to turn, but all in all I'm happy with my purchase... and needless to say, am constantly fighting the urge to go ride it... :)

If this post didn't make it clear... I'm still gushing over the power. It's a WORLD of difference over the SV. It just pulls and pulls and doesn't let up. The SV would lose it's guts at 70+ mph... the FZ just keeps pulling hard. Crazy. Heh, never pictured myself on a liter bike... but I think I like it.

Congrats on your new FZ! I also had an SV650 (2002 SV650S)before my FZ1, so I will give my input based on my experience with both.
1) I honestly hadn't noticed that I have to give it more gas to start off in first, but what you notice is normal due to the gearing and different powerband of the inline 4 vs. twin.
2) My FZ definitely DOES NOT vibrate more than the SV did, so I can confirm this is not normal for the FZ. The only vibration I notice on my FZ is just a light vibration in the seat around 5,500 rpms or so. My throttle wrist does get numb and tingly after a while, but not from vibration, just from holding the throttle open... so I installed a throttle lock for use on long stretches to address this issue.
3)I find that the FZ has superior suspension to the SV and handles much better. I would concur with others that your issue is likely in the worn out tires. Beyond that get the suspension adjusted to your weight and riding style to improve things further.
4)Yes, it is MUCH faster than the SV:D The tall gearing is great for cruising around too.

As far as lowering the seat height is concerned. You can shave some foam out of the stock seat or order a custom seat from somewhere like top saddlery with lowering already done. If you want to tinker with the suspension geometry you can also use dogbone links to lower, just make sure you get everything properly adjusted front to rear.

2) My FZ definitely DOES NOT vibrate more than the SV did, so I can confirm this is not normal for the FZ. The only vibration I notice on my FZ is just a light vibration in the seat around 5,500 rpms or so. My throttle wrist does get numb and tingly after a while, but not from vibration, just from holding the throttle open... so I installed a throttle lock for use on long stretches to address this issue.

Ahh, I was going to say that I noticed today that the vibration only really happens between 5-6k rpm... it just happens that that is where I tend to cruise. I'll just make a conscious effort to cruise in a different rpm range, and it'll be habit in no time.

4)Yes, it is MUCH faster than the SV:D The tall gearing is great for cruising around too.

Yes!! I just followed a coworker to lunch (he rode his SV). He took off on the feeder and hammered through 3 gears after down shifting. I didn't shift once and felt like the FZ was barely working.

Blavenia, that's good advice on doing one thing at a time, I will follow that.

Ahh, I was going to say that I noticed today that the vibration only really happens between 5-6k rpm... it just happens that that is where I tend to cruise. I'll just make a conscious effort to cruise in a different rpm range, and it'll be habit in no time.

Yes!! I just followed a coworker to lunch (he rode his SV). He took off on the feeder and hammered through 3 gears after down shifting. I didn't shift once and felt like the FZ was barely working.

Blavenia, that's good advice on doing one thing at a time, I will follow that.

I did notice you mentioned that you tend to cruise around everywhere in 3rd gear, if you aren't needing the extra power right away you are better off staying at a lower rpm than 5-6k anyway (assuming you aren't lugging the engine) it just puts extra wear on the motor and uses more gas buzzing along at a higher rpm. As you stated it becomes habit and you'll have these other benefits as a bonus :cheers:
Don't humiliate your coworker with the SV too badly... the FZ1 has literally twice the horsepower after all (75hp vs. 150hp)! One thing he will have you on is gas mileage/range. I averaged 45-50mpg without even trying on the SV, so far (although I'm still breaking the motor in and a lot of my riding has been two up) I've averaged 35-38mpg on the FZ. The FZ is WELL worth the trade off in gas mileage, and to my surprise I found that the owner's manual actually recommends regular unleaded... I thought a 150hp 1 liter engine would want premium for sure!

Like the OP, I took my 07 FZ1 out for the first time yesterday and had some similar impressions. However, I previously rode an 08FZ6 (still have it) and I am quite surprised at how different these two bikes are. The 6 is lithe and very easy to drive, an absolute joy. The 1000 is more of a brute with boatloads more of both torque and horsepower. While it handles well, I think I will have to learn how to properly adjust the suspension for a smoother ride. The current adjustment is rather harsh (compared to the 6) but VERY stable. The 1000 came with an Akropovic CF/SO, Power Commander III, and Michelin Pilot Roads. It also came with Givi monokey bags, Corbin seat, Puig touring screen, and some kinda different risers for the bars. I like it, for sure! I had to leave my toys today to visit with the in-laws (it's all good, they are great folks) but I will be back on Monday and ready to "compare" some more.

Like the OP, I took my 07 FZ1 out for the first time yesterday and had some similar impressions. However, I previously rode an 08FZ6 (still have it) and I am quite surprised at how different these two bikes are. The 6 is lithe and very easy to drive, an absolute joy. The 1000 is more of a brute with boatloads more of both torque and horsepower. While it handles well, I think I will have to learn how to properly adjust the suspension for a smoother ride. The current adjustment is rather harsh (compared to the 6) but VERY stable. The 1000 came with an Akropovic CF/SO, Power Commander III, and Michelin Pilot Roads. It also came with Givi monokey bags, Corbin seat, Puig touring screen, and some kinda different risers for the bars. I like it, for sure! I had to leave my toys today to visit with the in-laws (it's all good, they are great folks) but I will be back on Monday and ready to "compare" some more.
Congrats on your new bike. Good post, I like hearing comparisons like that. I agree on the harsh suspension... I feel a lot more of the road and it's slightly unnerving for me when cornering (can feel lots of little bumps and a little tracking).

Congrats on your new bike. Good post, I like hearing comparisons like that. I agree on the harsh suspension... I feel a lot more of the road and it's slightly unnerving for me when cornering (can feel lots of little bumps and a little tracking).

+1 on feeling more little bumps. I would reckon that the amount of feedback I am getting from the bike went up substantially on the 1000. I only test drove it on a nearby 4-lane highway for about 45 minutes so a run through the Blue Ridge mountains of SWVA is next. Should prove fun and interesting!

Congratulations on the new bike. Not sure if you can put a lower profile rear tyre on to lower it a little? As far as cornering goes I find mine turns easily, as far as general ride goes an O'hlins shock on the rear will do wonders.

Last edited:
I've been feeling more and more lately. I'm thinking that it is long over-do for some major suspension changes, plus I am coming up on 10k on the stock crappy tires. I'd like to get the suspension done first and smooth out the front and better plant the rear before putting on new skins. Looks like I'll be asking Santa for a new Penske. Then come bonus time next year, the new front springs and a Power Commander.

Back