No ciggs for 6 weeks

I haven't had a cigg in 42 days and this is by far the hardest addiction that im trying to beat. Watching my friend going through chemo and radiation for lung cancer and my mind is still telling me to light one up it wont happen to me.

Cold turkey and going crazy
Lonney

Hang in there, Lonney. You've made it this far! I'm amazed that after 6 weeks it still has a hold on you (not you in general, but how powerful this particular *drug* is).

I never smoked, but spent majority of my childhood (from 3 to 13) in a household with 2 heavy smokers. I was constantly sick .. had pneumonia 3 times and asthma for 10 years with chronic bronchitis. When I moved away from smokers, most of my illnesses *mysteriously* went away, including asthma!

my mind is still telling me to light one up it wont happen to me.

I smoked for 15 years and then decided that I wanted to stop smoking, mostly for health reasons.

No patches, no gum, no books, no videos, no E-cigs, none of that shite.

I've had about 3-5 ciggies all up in the last 12 years since I quit, usually when I was fkn hammered and a long way from home. I still kindof enjoyed them but the decision is made and the decision stands.

Some of my mates are still smokers and I still go to the pub with them, they can fog away all night long in front of me and it doesn't even enter my head to have one.

Just decide that you want to quit. And then quit. That's my advice. If you're quitting for someone else, then it probably won't work. Good luck.

It will likely be one of the hardest things you ever do but you will get through it! ...and you will be much better off for it. I quit cold turkey 13 years ago and it was hard but I was determined. After 3 months I had absolutely no desire to smoke anymore and it grossed me out. Once you get to that point it is easy. After 13 years I still occasionally have a dream about smoking but wake up feeling guilty. lol

I am sorry that the decision had to be brought on by your friends suffering. It is a very good decision and I know that if you want it bad enough you'll make it happen.

Congrats on your 42 days. Keep up the good work.

As with all addictions, it's as much psychological as it is physical.
I've never smoked cigarettes but I've done virtually everything else and my drinking- oh dear lord my drinking was ridiculous. But I stopped everything at different times in my life without too much drama.
You just have to get to a point where you want to avoid the drug/smoke/drink/gambling etc, more than you actually want it. It gets easier over time

I haven't had a cigg in 42 days and this is by far the hardest addiction that im trying to beat. Watching my friend going through chemo and radiation for lung cancer and my mind is still telling me to light one up it wont happen to me.

Cold turkey and going crazy
Lonney

Congratulations Lonney, I also have quit tobacco (smokeless) I'm 3 weeks in so far. I figure if you never have "just one more" then you'll never smoke again. I like you am going cold turkey. I don't think anything else would work for me. Keep it up and never smoke again.

Congrats to you both!

Congratulations Lonney, I also have quit tobacco (smokeless) I'm 3 weeks in so far. I figure if you never have "just one more" then you'll never smoke again. I like you am going cold turkey. I don't think anything else would work for me. Keep it up and never smoke again.

I was never a smoker but chewed Copenhagen for years. I finally quit in my mid thirties and it was the hardest thing I ever did. Now the thought of a dip makes my stomach turn, hang in there, it gets better!

Thanks to everyone for your support and kind words. As Brad said the worst thing is dreaming that I smoked and waking up with terrible guilt.

Thanks again my FZ1 family HAPPY NEW YEAR

Lonney

I smoked for over 30 years and the only way to go is cold turkey and I went through tons of cough drops,chewing gum just agitated me.Its been around 4 years since I quit.The other thing is figure out your triggers mine were coffee an alchohol mostly so I gave it all up.Congrats and DONT GIVE IN TO THE URGES YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I quit smoking almost 30 years ago. I did it cold turkey and it was hard for the first 3 to 6 months. After that it was about another couple years for the urge to go away.

Now I have a clean bill of health according to my last chest X-ray (pre carpal tunnel surgery) which showed clear lungs and no damage at all. No smoking and a lot of bicycling really helped clear the lungs out.

Back