Normal Engine RPMs

With stock gearing in second gear, my indicated speed is about RPM/100 - 3000 RPM is about 30 mph, 4000 RPM is about 40.

You guys who are usually riding at 6-8000 RPM "around town".....do you rarely use gears 3-6? How fast do you ride around town? Are you guys passing me all the time, but the act of blinking has kept me unaware of your existence? :bowdown:

Boy, I feel like a tortoise in a room full of hares!, but then again, I'm still averaging over 40mpg.

I think you have the right idea Billy. There's really no need to uselessly burn up fuel and fill the pockets of OPEC. I'm in Arizona, In the Havasu/Parker area and I filled my GoldWing two days ago and it cost me $2.98/gal:stirpot: for my usual regular. When I head home in March I'll be driving an RV that will be netting only about 7-8 MPG and I'll be trying to offset that with the best I can coax out of the Wing and FZ when I get home. I've got the feeling we're going to be headed towards $4/gal again before we know it and we should all be aware of what that does to our economy and country.

A good ride is not about the miles/galon it's about feeling great and having a grin ear to ear.:p

yeah, in the twists. Dry weather. No traffic. Hit most of the twists excellent. Bike wanting more. Get home, and those endorphins kick in. That's where it's at.

2008 FZ1....by the time I hit between 35-40 I am always in 6th gear. When I first bought the bike, I was very surprised at the acceleration and how quickly I went through gears and ended up in 6th. I only have about 200 miles on the bike since I got it but the weather is getting nicer, so that will change.

Stop gramma shifting and feel the power :)

With every liter+ bike i've had, I typically keep the rpm's at least 3500 or higher around town, and higher yet on the backroads.

Even my c14 with the engine mods (which makes nearly 80 ft lb @ 3K rpm) feels anemic below 3/3500. I rarely if ever get into top gear around town. The fz1 is obviously geared differently, but if you're in 6th gear at 40 mph, you may find yourself in trouble if you need to accelerate suddenly.

I am almost always running at a minimum of 5,500 rpms. Maybe I have a lead foot? It just "feels" right to me above 5000. I am not worried about mileage. I already get so much better mileage than in my F150 even 30mpg is like music to my ears.

up the tempo.

If I'm riding around in city traffic I mostly ride with the rmps @ 3500 to 4500 rpm's I only reach 4 gear around town if I'm lucky 40 to 45 mph.( seems it's Manhattan, trust me you need that get up and go riding down town. )

As for on the open road riding some what conservatively, 1st gear 3500 2nd and up 5500 to 6000 rpm. I find the bike changes gear smoother above 5000 rpm.

If I'm running @ a hot pace 1 gear @ 4000 2nd @ 6500 3rd @ 8500 4th @ 9000 5 & 6 around 9000 to 10000 rpm. off the gas is around 6000 from third gear up, for engine breaking before the turns roles down to about 5000 in the turn, seems to work well for me. The bike seems to wake up around 8000 rpm, feels like a different bike altogether.

I would like to know how others run there bikes at a fast pace? :sport12:

Back