Oil Filter options

troyw

Hey All FZ1 folks,

Brand new FZ1 owner here, and I'd like to see if anyone has a nice listing of oil filter options for this bike. I had a nice list for the FZ6, but I'm not riding that little baby anymore. I've got just under 100 miles on the bike now, and the oil is turning black really fast. I usually like the do the first one at about 300 miles, not 600, then a second at 1500 with a switch to synthetic then. It's been my M.O. for a long time.

Anyway, oil filters?

Thanks!

Troy

Alot of guys would probably disagree with me, but when it comes to my bike and oil, I will only use a filter from the dealer as well as the oil. I know that the filter could be as low as half the price elsewhere but I don't care. If GM sold filters for their cars, I would be buying them as well. I just like my Yamaha to be all Yamaha.

You're really wasting your money. There's really nothing special about Yamaha oil and filters. The GM thing should tell you something about that. However, isn't AC Delco the GM "brand"?
Yamaha probably has Wix or someone else making their filters, then charging you more. I could be wrong-o there, but I've rarely used the manuf. brand, and I've never had any problems with my bikes.
I'm not saying you're wrong at all, just spending more than you need to.
At least the Yamaha oil filter is black though...LOL...some of the other brands are like putting a booger on the bike. Like, what's up with that new Purolator yellow, or that Fram orange? Yikes. I've even seen some...booger green ones!

So, anyone else?

T.

Last edited:
i run a mobil 1 filter think it is an M-108 like 5 -6 bucks a piece at advanced.
is is painted black with a HD case for high oil pressures.
and GM does make there own filters /the ACdelco brand

I only use K&N oil filters... it's handy to have the 17mm nut on the end for removal.... and it's already drilled for safety wire... so that's good... it's worth the few extra bucks to me for piece of mind.

I'm not sure who Yamaha uses for their filters or lubricants, but I'll bet they make sure they will keep their engines going strong a long time as long as their ecommended change intervals are followed. There are also other brands that are good, including Amsoil and K&N, which in some cases may be the same. I usually change my oil and filters three times a year because I put about 12,000 miles on. If I can't get the exact oil or filter that I normally use (amsoil) I get the best I can find at the time. The last time I was away from home I used a Yamaha filter and Mobil One. I'm much more concerned with changing it when Yamaha calls for it than what I change with. One thing I wouldn't do is use an oil that was $2.50/qt or a $4 filter.
Something you don't hear much about when speaking about filters is how fine they filter or the bypass valve setting. When Harley changed from the Evolution engine to the Twin-Cam, their oil filter changed from a 10 micron to a 5 micron filter and the bypass valve setting also changed but you couldn't tell that just by looking at the filter. If I recall correctly, ther was a bout a 3 lb/inch difference in when the bypass valve would open. If anyone has info on those two values for Yamaha's filter I would like to see them.

I ended up using a Fram 6017A motorcycle filter for this change. I know some folks breathe hatred at Fram, but I've used them for years on end without ever experiencing any problems, and on bikes that I put over 20k miles on. But, some of the articles with filter cutaways have me leaning more on Purolator or Wix these days. All I could get was a Fram yesterday, so I did. The oil & filter will only be in there for about 1200 miles, so I'm not that worried.

I wonder why no one has come up with a list here yet? I had the same question I posted just about 2 months ago when I briefly had a new FZ6, and I had a long list hours later. Where are you all? Are there just not that many of us FZ1 riders? When I went to Advance Auto Parts, they had nothing, and couldn't even cross-reference anything to it. Then I found the Fram in the motorcycle section.

I have done a lot of research on this subject. I have checked the forums and have read other peoples experiences with different filter and oil options. The Yamaha filters aren't all that good not very well built. I found that the cheapest and one of the best options is the Puralator pure one filters
PL 14610 you can find these at Pep Boys for around $6 to $7 a piece. This filter is a little longer than the OEM filter but does fit behind the exhaust pipes and the longer filter provides better filtration. As far as oil goes I read a lot on different oils and at 2100 miles went synthetic with Shell Rotella T 5w-40 in the blue container about $19.99 a gallon at Walmart. My bike never shifted better since, great oil for a reasonable price. In my opinion save your money don't go to the dealership and go with this combo Puralator pure one filter PL 14610 from pep boys and Shell Rotell T 5w-40(blue container) from walmart. Can't beat it.

+1 on that! I plan on using the Rotella T synth in this bike too. Great oil. I'm thinking I could probably use the Purolator PL14612 if I didn't want to use the longer one then. Same filter I used on the FZ6. Same options. Yeah, I'd pick Purolator over Yamaha any day.:thumbup:

T.

What's the advantage of going synthetic? I understand what you're saying about the clutch but I'm sure that's not the primary reason. Is it because it maintains its viscosity properties longer? If so, since we all do frequent oil changes anyway is it really worth it? I would think it's good to change the oil just because it gets contaminated with fine crud the filter can't get anyway. I mean, when the oil gets black that's obviously something the filter can't get, right?

I've also read that once you go synthetic you can't ( or shouldn't) go back to dino. Is that true?

I'm sure you all seen this site but here is a link. This guy cuts open oil filters and compares the construction. He agres with the assesments on this thread of the Yamaha filter.
OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Introduction

When I had my first servicing done the dealer told me to stick with the Yamaha filter because it's designed correctly to match the bike. What he meant was if you use a different filter that has say a finer filter element it cuts down on the flow rate of oil through it, which isn't good either. I realize that sounds like it could be BS.

Hey Billy, how was Englishtown?

The advantage of synthetic, as I have personally observed mile after mile, year after year in my own bikes, is multiple. First, they flow better when cold. Then, they do keep their viscosity longer, making them a better lubricant during the time in between changes. Also, every bike I've ridden has shifted much better with synthetic oil in there, and for a longer period of time. So, while I will still change oil at 4k miles, I'd rather have a stronger, better oil in there to begin with.
That oil filter expose is cool, but I don't understand the Fram thing. I've used countless Fram filters on my cars and bikes for many years. One Toyota I had went over 300k with NO problems at all, and I don't think I ever used anything but a Fram filter. I've also put over 20k on bikes using Frams, and never had any trouble. I'm not saying the articles are wrong, but I do question some of it since I've not ever had any issues with them. Sometimes that's all I can get in stores!
The thing about not being able to switch back to regular oil after using synthetic. Say what? How is the engine going to even know? Oil is lubrication. If the engine is lubricated properly, it's happy. Plus, most, if not all synthetics say right on their bottles that they are fully compatible with other oils. So, what would it hurt? I don't understand the logic behind that one.

When I had my first servicing done the dealer told me to stick with the Yamaha filter because it's designed correctly to match the bike. What he meant was if you use a different filter that has say a finer filter element it cuts down on the flow rate of oil through it, which isn't good either. I realize that sounds like it could be BS.

Hey Billy, how was Englishtown?

You mean he did not tell you to go with an oil filter that would do the same or BETTER job than the "Yamaha" filter. He told you to go with the Yamaha filter because he makes a good penny off that sale. Especially when you change your oil more often then you should.

I read the thread you mentioned, looked at the filters and I use the Purolator filter.

In reality all of them will do an "adequate" job.

A good filter is just as important as a good motor oil

You're really wasting your money. There's really nothing special about Yamaha oil and filters. The GM thing should tell you something about that. However, isn't AC Delco the GM \"brand\"?
Yamaha probably has Wix or someone else making their filters, then charging you more. I could be wrong-o there, but I've rarely used the manuf. brand, and I've never had any problems with my bikes.
I'm not saying you're wrong at all, just spending more than you need to.
At least the Yamaha oil filter is black though...LOL...some of the other brands are like putting a booger on the bike. Like, what's up with that new Purolator yellow, or that Fram orange? Yikes. I've even seen some...booger green ones!

So, anyone else?

T.
I could not agree more, although AC Delco is a subsidiary of Government Motors, it is a seperate entity. I posted several months ago about Fram filters and how poorly and dangerously made they are. So much so in fact that they are banned from any bike on any AMA track for any type of AMA event. Wix makes a top shelf filter, and I believe they make several for Yamaha, but not sure specifically about the FZ1. I will never use another fram filter on any vehicle of mine, for more info go to my old post and the attached link. :stunta]:

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
14 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve,
2.3" O.D. gasket
2.5" to 3.5" long.
If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

Motorcycle Filters.
None are recommended.

AC Delco PF2135
AMSOil SMF103
Carquest 85358
FRAM PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
STP SMO 17
WIX 51358
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy these filters Automobile Filters,
about 2.5 inches long.
AC Delco PF1237
Baldwin B1400
Firestone TF2876
Hastings LF113
NAPA Gold 1365
Purolator L14612
STP S-02876
WalMart SuperTech ST6607
WIX 51365
Automobile Filters,
about 3.25 inches long.
AC Delco PF-2057
Auto Pro 2356
Autopride CF240AP
Baldwin B1402
Carquest 85356
Carquest Red B4620
Casite CF240
Castrol 7317
Champion Labs Ph2867
Defense Filters Dl7317
Deutsch D-370
Federated Filters LF240F
Automobile Filters,
about 3.25 inches long.
Fram Double Guard DG7317
Fram PH7317
Fram Tough Guard TG7317
Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
Group 7 V4610
Group 7 V4620
Hastings LF240
Mighty M4612
Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
Napa FIL1356
Napa Gold 1356
Parts Plus PH2867
Pennzoil PZ-109
Penske 7317
Powerflo SL14610
Powerflo SL14620
Pro Gauge PGO-4620
Pro Tec 164
Promotive PH4610
Pronto PO3593A
Purolator L14610
Service Champ OF-4622
Shell SH48
Shell SH529
Stp S-02867.
Valvoline VO50
Warner PH2867
Wix 51356

This info is available at Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

I will link to thier oil filter testing as well.

I highly highly recomend the purolator pure one filter PL14610 for less than 6 dollars it is one of the finest available.

Stay away from the long ones on the Gen II bike as they are very close to the header.

The above list is from the FZ6 forum, but these all fit the FZ6, FZ6R, FZ1, R6 and R1.

Yea, I saw that list before also. I have a couple of filters leftover (1 stock Yamaha and 1 Hi Flo one) from my '97 YZF1000 that I will use up before I switch to the Purolator PureOne PL14610. The Pulorator happens to be the same filter that my '06 Honda Accord uses so I will stock up when I can find them on sale.

Time to go clear out Wally World... I just used the last one in the garage Thursday night. Now it is really cool because both mine and my wife's FZ6R take the same filters! :D Oh, and more Rotella Blue bottle too!

She's got less than 400 miles on her bike. I changed the oil Thurs with 588 on the clock. I parked it yesterday with 1279. It was a busy weekend on the road! YEAH!!!

Wow, just under 700 miles over the course of the weekend! Man, I put on just under 400 from Friday thru Sunday and I thought that was a ton. You guys have got me beat. God Bless your Butts! LOL.

Wow, just under 700 miles over the course of the weekend! Man, I put on just under 400 from Friday thru Sunday and I thought that was a ton. You guys have got me beat. God Bless your Butts! LOL.

Feeling the ill effects of it today! :D The stock seat isn't too bad but it's also not the best for LD rides. I covered a fair amount of NH, parts of MA and half of VT in three days.

Time for a seat investment... Hello, Sargent? ;)

Feeling the ill effects of it today! :D The stock seat isn't too bad but it's also not the best for LD rides. I covered a fair amount of NH, parts of MA and half of VT in three days.

Time for a seat investment... Hello, Sargent? ;)

I saw NJFZ1's Sargent yesterday. Looked mighty comfy!!! He had the black with the red piping. It really looked good.

Back