Oil Pan Leak

I'm a new owner of a 2006 FZ1 with 4700kms. My first short ride, I could smell burning oil. After cleaning the oil pan up I found the source of the leak. It's a forged hole under the pan, like the one that has a bolt in it near the back of the pan. The oil is slowly seeping out onto the exhaust. At first I thought that a bolt had fallen out, but there is no thread, just a approx. 2mm diameter hole in the end of the recess. I looked in the service manual and it doesn't even show this recess from the exterior of the pan. Just wondering if anyone has an idea if a plug, small screw etc. should be there? Is it some kind of vent? Just to be clear the recess is factory made, and the hole appears to be also.

Thanks,
RT

The only hole in the pan should be in the front left-side corner where the drain plug is installed.

If I were you, I would bring it up with the dealer as it sounds like a casting defect where something actually fell out. If they will not do anything, you can replace the pan and a new gasket for under $150.00. Or, you can remove this pan and plug the hole with some JB Weld and test for leaks, then reinstall it. Last, you can tap the hole for a very shallow bolt and screw one in to plug it.

At this point, at the very least, I would drop the pan and have a look inside the pan and at the lower end of the engine to determine if anything is broken that you cannot see with the pan in place.

The recess is just beside the O2 sensor. I tried taking pictures, but it's in a tight spot. I've just ordered a gasket and will drop the pan. I'll post pictures when I get there.

I removed the oil pan and found that the hole was for the oil pump overflow. there is a copper tube from the oil pump with an o-ring at both ends. The o-ring at the pan was leaking, hence it would weep just sitting as the oil level is higher at the bottom of the pipe. All better.

Back