Old Yamaha Spotting

So I was out riding on the weekend and spotted this. I stopped and had a chat with the 60 year old rider. He was Austrian and named Adolph (what were his parents thinking). He was an interesting guy, and very passionate about the bike and the sport. He was dressed in 80's vintage leathers that matched the bike, of course. Note the Japanese market front signals.

1987TZR250.jpg

TZR2501987.jpg

It's a 1987 TZR 250 for those too young to remember these 2 stroke wonders.

That was a nice little find! :tup:

Based on the title alone, my reply was to be "It's usually in need of a gasket somewhere if it is spotting. ;)

Was that a Japanese only? I don't remember the TZR 250. Maybe it was sold in Canada but not the states? I remember the RZ 350 and 500, but I don't remember the TZR... Maybe I'm just old and senile... :shame:

Anyway, great pics! Always happy to see a 2 stroke on the road! *ring-a-ding-ding-ding-ding*

Canada and Europe

Was that a Japanese only? I don't remember the TZR 250. Maybe it was sold in Canada but not the states? I remember the RZ 350 and 500, but I don't remember the TZR... Maybe I'm just old and senile... :shame:

Anyway, great pics! Always happy to see a 2 stroke on the road! *ring-a-ding-ding-ding-ding*

It was another example of a bike brought to Canada but not the US (I think). It was very rare here though as it was more expensive than the RZ 350, and most ended up on the track. This one had been ported, polished, had piston work, air box work and a few other things, by a well known tuner in Calgary. It could do 215 kph (confirmed by GPS) and could turn very quick lap times at Race city. The rubber on it were slightly oversize Bridgestone Battlaxe.

Nope, that bike was never sold here. Last year for street legal 2-strokes in the US was 1985 if I remember correctly. A nice RZ500 would be nice to have, but they are big bucks around here (well over $10k for a nice example).

Very cool Old School...been on the hunt for one of these...a tarrif beater

Yamaha20FZ700.jpg

Oh yes, the FZ700. Nice bike back in the day and probably still a decent street bike today. There was a blue/white that sold on eBay over the Winter for a little over $2k that was very nice.

One of these RZ500s would be the ultimate "oldschool" bike for me :D This one is for sale locally for $12.5k. Looks to be in very nice condition and has been for sale for well over a year. I think the owner is pretty firm on the price.

attachment.php

^ Wow the FZ haven't strayed far from the original theme. Being new to motorcycling and sportsbikes, I never really followed them so it's kool to see some of the older models. Even if it's not an FZ, ie in the OP

Back