PC-V Dual map & switch?

yes I have :) Easy to hook up, just 2 wires from a toggle switch to the PCV. Have the switch mounted in the left side black inner fairing panel.

Last edited:
Ah thanks guys! Super G, you already have answered my next question too :D as I was looking at it all on the power commander web site and I was thinking that it needed the hub thing to plug it in. But thats great that it's just 2 wires. Just have to fork out a bit extra cash for tuning I suppose.
So when you change maps with the switch, do you have to do anything, like let the engine drop to idle while riding to change or turn off the engine to do it?

So when you change maps with the switch, do you have to do anything, like let the engine drop to idle while riding to change or turn off the engine to do it?

You can switch the maps whenever you like any speed or rpm, no problem. :)
I used single strand wire from radio shack when I hooked it up, 22 gauge I think. The PCV directions tell you what gauge to use.
The single strand is easier to insert into the PCV.

I just hooked up the map switch, ignition module and a quick shifter a week ago.
I'm currently using the map switch to toggle between 2 maps deciding which one I prefer or if one is better than the other in certain areas.

Anyone with a PCV should give the map switch a try, all you need is a few feet of wire and a simple toggle switch. May have cost me 7 bucks to hook it up.
You can choose which map is in position 1 or 2 when you load them. Then all you have to do is toggle back and forth between them.

Sweet thanks Super G! I might after all get a PCV instead of the ECU reflash.

I was thinking about the flash also, but went with the PCV. Just not enough feedback yet on the flashing and I see one guy on the other forum has had a few issues.
Some guys have reported they love the flash but from what I can tell they all just run a slip-on. I'm more comfortable with having the ability to make adjustments with the PCV as apposed to being limited to a generic map with the flash.
So far it does not appear that different flashes are available for so many combinations of mods. Stock airbox, modded, full exhaust, slip-on, stock flies, small flies or none. Just to many variables to expect a few generic flashed maps to work well. What about the differences between a guy that lives 5,000ft above sea level compared to a guy at sea level ?
Currently I'm much more at easy with the PCV and being able to try different maps or have a custom map made.

............and I'm still waiting to see a dyno chart from a flashed bike !

Last edited:
I was thinking about the flash also, but went with the PCV. Just not enough feedback yet on the flashing and I see one guy on the other forum has had a few issues.
Some guys have reported they love the flash but from what I can tell they all just run a slip-on. I'm more comfortable with having the ability to make adjustments with the PCV as apposed to being limited to a generic map with the flash.
So far it does not appear that different flashes are available for so many combinations of mods. Stock airbox, modded, full exhaust, slip-on, stock flies, small flies or none. Just to many variables to expect a few generic flashed maps to work well. What about the differences between a guy that lives 5,000ft above sea level compared to a guy at sea level ?
Currently I'm much more at easy with the PCV and being able to try different maps or have a custom map made.

Yep that is my concern too, not having it exactly suited to my bike. Because it's not written while the bike is on the dyno at that time... and the other thing i read is that it's preferred if you have a power commander with it.

I was thinking of having 2 maps, a power/normal tuned map and one suited for a slightly leaner fuel ratio in the rev range for cruising on the highway...

You don't need a switch to do that with the PCV since you can map your bike per gear. The way I did mine is Gear1-3 are "Sport Maps" and 4-6 are "Touring Maps" What I did with the Touring map is leaning under 40% throttle. (13.8 with Auto Tune, that work like crap by the way) and keep the same map for hard acceleration.

You don't need a switch to do that with the PCV since you can map your bike per gear. The way I did mine is Gear1-3 are "Sport Maps" and 4-6 are "Touring Maps" What I did with the Touring map is leaning under 40% throttle. (13.8 with Auto Tune, that work like crap by the way) and keep the same map for hard acceleration.

Ah ok thanks for that. I din't know that could be done with each gear! :tup:

Ah ok thanks for that. I din't know that could be done with each gear! :tup:

Just need to tap one wire for gear position and you can have separate maps per gear. You can also have different kill times per gear if your running a quick shifter. Most bikes like a longer kill time in the lower gears.

The tuner emailed me back and has said for what I want there is no need for 2 maps, the map will be leaner in the rev range and throttle position used for cruising anyway. I'm happy with that! That will save me money on tuning and will be simpler.
It was a nice idea and sounded good, but without professional advise it was just an idea.
But thanks for all the knowledge on this anyway. I have learned a lot here.

I wish I could run the duel map option. The stock ECU has a nasty habit of changing the AFR targets seemingly randomly. The way that the PC5 wires up, you can not run duel maps and autotune at the same time. I use the autotune option to fix the AFR shift whenever it decides to happen. It shows up about 1 out of 5 rides.

I hope this ugly shift goes away when the ECUnleashed gets here.

Beast

our mountains here don't go that high that I think i would need it.
Actually there is a new version of the PC5 that is perfect for elevation/atmospheric pressure variations... This is directly from the dynojet web site: here
NEW Power Commander V - PTi
On select models a new version of PCV is now available that’s perfect for forced induction applications. This new unit, PCV-PTi, comes with a Bosch 3 bar MAP/Temp sensor as part of the PCV harness for expanded capabilities built into the control center software. res.
The PTi version of the PCV gives you the ability to modify your fuel curve based off a pressure (boost) table and/or temperature table. The pressure table gives you 3D mapping capability based on boost vs RPM, while the temperature table gives you 2D mapping capability with up to 50 points of adjustment.
This new version of the Power Commander V is perfect for turbocharged or supercharged applications looking for precision, control, and reliability.

Why do they change? shouldn't they be fixed for each load point (or throttle position)?

I have no clue why the stock ECU does it. Both my 08 and my 10 Euro ECU will do it. The first couple of times I saw the bike pull this stunt, I was in denial.

I am hoping the guys at ECUnleashed have figured it out. It will take about 20 rides without seeing it happen to prove to me with any confidence that they fixed it. It really is that random.

Here is a plot catching it happening. Check out the white trace in the center of the graph. RPM and throttle are dead stable in the top trace. I have seen this about 8 times out of 150 or so plots. It turns out I now have a function in my plotting software that can locate it happening every time.

SteppingAFR2.png

Beast

Any chance of it being a wiring fault?
ie. going over a bumb shorts out or looses connection on a wire??

The thing is when you look at the data later, is is only a small section on the fuel map that is effected. From about 4000 to 5500 and from about 50 KPA to about 75 KPA. Right in the center of the cruse range. If it was mechanical, I would think it would be more wide spread. Killing the motor and restarting fixes it. Now, the way I have my bike set up, it is getting fairly hard to spot wile riding as the auto tune will fix it in about 3 sec on the fly.

Look at the field [PC5 Fuel Adj] in that plot, shown as green at the bottom of that trace.

Beast

Last edited:
Back