Penske 8900E help

mld85

I recently blew my stock shock and decided on replacing it with a Penske 8900E. The install was easy enough, but I seem to have a problem.
Now my rear is way too low/swingarm way too high. My rear fender is ~2 inches from my tire. It's so bad that I can't use my kickstand with wheel to the left, bike would fall over.

I tried the ride height adjustment (barely helped at all) and messing around with the preload, but nothing seems to be helping. I feel that I am missing something obvious here!

I recently blew my stock shock and decided on replacing it with a Penske 8900E. The install was easy enough, but I seem to have a problem.
Now my rear is way too low/swingarm way too high. My rear fender is ~2 inches from my tire. It's so bad that I can't use my kickstand with wheel to the left, bike would fall over.

I tried the ride height adjustment (barely helped at all) and messing around with the preload, but nothing seems to be helping. I feel that I am missing something obvious here!

It would really help us, and you too, if you were to post some shots of what your talking about. This way if something is amiss with your dogbones or an adjustment on the shock itself, we'd be able to see it quickly and help give you an accurate answer.

Maybe the shock is for another bike, it's too short?
The stock height of the rear shock from eye to eye is 320mm.
I would check that the shock is the correct height.

Other than that maybe your dog bones are broken?

A few pictures of the area would help.

Thanks for quick replies, I will get pictures and measurements as soon as I can. I know the dogbone is still good. I tried remounting the arm relays (triangle part connects shock and dogbone) to see if that was my problem but it seems they only work one way.

My arm relays have bends in them like flared out for clearance, is that normal? I will take pics when I can.

Definately think this would be the problem...
IMAG0204.jpg

When installed new shock just foolishly assumed they were supposed to be bent. I am guessing that when my old shock blew these arms were taking all of the force and bent a bit: oops:

WHOA!!! So, you have to tell us the story of how this happened? Were you out in a sand pit dirt tracking? Dukes of Hazzard jumping?? Stunt jumping over buses? How it the heck did you blow the shock AND bend those triangles that badly?

Yes, that would be the cause!!! Good news is, these are CHEAP parts. Partshark #2D1-2217A-00-00 and they are only $10.76 each.

Last edited:
Back