Performance Coatings Plus

MrHix

I am thinking about having my headers ceramic coated and using Performance Coatings Plus out of Joplin MO. They have several colors available including satin black. Has anyone used this company? They quoted me a price of $125 - 140.

Thanks,

MrHix

I am thinking about having my headers ceramic coated and using Performance Coatings Plus out of Joplin MO. They have several colors available including satin black. Has anyone used this company? They quoted me a price of $125 - 140.

Thanks,

MrHix

Have not used them, but their price seems about the going rate for that type of service. I say go for it. For a while I was running the stock header coated in satin black. The flash made it look kind of brownish in the one pic, but it was really black...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This looks sweet. I have been thinking about doing this also to my 86 GSXR header... I was thinking the price was more expensive.

This type of coating has been around for quite a while now so the costs have come down. I think the satin black is the cheapest. Ceramic silver may be a little more expensive.

Noticed any gains? I like the shiny look too.. But Dang! I need to polish those headers just sitting in my garage...

Not really, but then again even if it was good for 1 or 2 HP it wouldn't really be noticeable. The silver ceramic coating has more of a shiny look to it.

My XS Eleven could use a coating like that but they are chrome coated now and I would think the ceramic would need to have the chrome removed. Is the price you were given for a stainless starting surface? And, did they even ask what the present state of your hearders were?

My XS Eleven could use a coating like that but they are chrome coated now and I would think the ceramic would need to have the chrome removed. Is the price you were given for a stainless starting surface? And, did they even ask what the present state of your hearders were?

The prices they give you are usually for clean, new parts. And you are right about the chrome needing to come off before they can coat it. However, I don't think that stripping the headers to bare metal will add that much to the cost...

I got them to do the satin black 10% coating on my Graves. Reasonable price and quality. Not the best but got a little better than I paid for so no complaints. Needed a little sandpaper here and patience there but the coating has held up well and done its part. Basically seen reduced heat from the pipes and the coating made for quick gumless seam closing.
Email customer service is not so great though.

I had it done to help maintain exhaust gas temps down to the o2 sensor.
Pics HERE

Beware,

It looks like you had new pipes and got the inside done too? I have read that it is not good to do the inside of "used" pipes.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers,

MrHix

Beware,

It looks like you had new pipes and got the inside done too? I have read that it is not good to do the inside of "used" pipes.

Not sure why it's not good to do the insides of used pipes other than the fact that they may not be able to clean them properly for the coating to adhere to the metal. One of the big advantages of coatings is being able to do the insides as well so less of the heat escapes through the metal.

Beware,

Yep, inside and out is standard procedure. They thoroughly sandblast the surface then high pressure hit with some metallic surface impregnation medium before being dipped and baked.
The Graves was new but used follows the same procedure with supposedly same results. I've had car headers done with no problems. Just have to make sure they are cleaned right with the sandblast to remove impurities that can spoil the bonding relantionship. Blasting the inside of pipes is difficult and possibly fatal to wall thickness when digging out heavy deposits. Many prefer acid dipping to avoid this.
Best to speak with PCP to see what they recommend.
Best of luck with it.

Back