Plasti-Dipped Fairing..

Prongomatic

Plasti-Dipped Windscreen.

I got the idea from another member on here. I wish I could remember his name so I can thank him. Anyways. I had an old scratched and stained windscreen going to no use. So I sprayed it with Plasti-coat and was pleasantly surprised by the results. If it holds up I might do some other small parts.

Last edited:
Well if the fairing gets jacked ill just shoot it again or swap it out. Under no circumstances would I do the rest of the bike like I've seen on YouTube lol

That's a windscreen my friend. I shot my short windscreen with PD the other day. Trying it out on my tank too in the area where knees squeeze it.

My 02 Is plasti-dipped on the Front Fairing, Windscreen and the nose cone fender.

Until that lady ran me into the curb two weeks ago the stuff held up great. I might have to re-spray part of the nose where it hit the curb and peeled a bit.

I want to do the tank, but I am not sure how the rubbing of my legs will affect it.

20121123_102933.jpg

IMG_20130311_130233_zpsc97c09d2.jpg

When I get my bike back from the shop I will take a few pics of the damage and post them.

Nice.
How many coats did it take for you to get a good result? For now I'll just stick with the widscreen. The rest of my bikes finish is still nice.
BTW: Thanks for the idea!

I'd like to know how PD holds up as well. I've seen pics of a lot of bikes recently painted with the stuff, but the Internet has such a short memory that it seems no one does a "10,000 miles later" photo. I've thought about going PD white with my FZ1 for a while, but haven't made the plunge.

I keep a coat of wax on my bike most of the time. Anybody know if Plasti-Dip will adhere to that, or (if not) how to prep the body work to remove the wax without damaging the plastic/clearcoat?

INFORMATION FOR THOSE WHO ARE NEW to PLASTI DIP

I have done the rims on my car, the more your ride, the more layers you need to put on. I have a guy who has had plasti on his rims for over a year...no pealing no anything, through the winter, salt all....still good. He used 5+ layers though. I am going to do the carbon fiber pattern with plasti on my windscreen, to match the carbon fiber pattern on my mirrors since I have a carbon fiber helmet. I am also going to do the to black plastic covers as carbon fiber from plasti dip. Then probably do my rims blue with a silver metalizer over the top. I will be doing a minimum of 5 coats of the blue and 4 of the metalizer since motorcycle rims are more exposed to the elements than car rims.

the thing to remember about plasti dip is it has that tact feeling to it. So if you are going to put it on your tank where your knees are, your knees will grip it and won't slide, so if that's what you want....then it's perfect. Another thing....plasti dip becomes even more durable (hard) after 5+ days because it has time to "cure" once it's cured, its a lot lest tacty...it's not shiny smooth, but lint and cloth etc, wont stick to it at that point. If you are using it on your windshield, i would let it "cure" before riding at dusk and getting it plastered with bugs lol.

I love the stuff. I am about to plasti the mid consol in my car because it's starting to peel. And I am am thinking about doing the whole car for the winter, it's excellent for keeping salt off of your car. If not the whole thing...I am definitely doing the bottom.

FYI, Plasti dip is rated to 312 degrees Fahrenheit so I may do my Yoshi pipe metalic blue too! :) (the yoshi tag has a little rust on it) If anyone else considers this then it is a MUST that you let it CURE, if you do it before it cures then it will not be durable.

I'd like to know how PD holds up as well. I've seen pics of a lot of bikes recently painted with the stuff, but the Internet has such a short memory that it seems no one does a "10,000 miles later" photo. I've thought about going PD white with my FZ1 for a while, but haven't made the plunge.

I keep a coat of wax on my bike most of the time. Anybody know if Plasti-Dip will adhere to that, or (if not) how to prep the body work to remove the wax without damaging the plastic/clearcoat?

Check out you tube. I have no personal knowledge about this but since it doesn't damage the clear coat on the car I think the wax will be okay. The fascinating bit on plasti dip is...it bonds to itself extremely well. That's why it's hard to scratch etc, but it doesn't bond to other surfaces...it adheres itself to them, but what truly keeps it in place is the bond it makes on some molecular level with itself. Understand, this is my layman explanation, it is in no way a scientific one. Just from using it, and reading about it, that is the best way I can explain it. I mean, I know people who do it to their bike helmets. (If mine wasn't so old I would have done it to my own!) It's fascinating how you can do the whole helmet...and when you peel it, it comes right off the plastic visor and nowhere else! Same thing with doing rims. you don't have to tape off the tires. When done...it will peel right off the tires and not the rim! So I believe the only thing having a layer of wax on will do is make it easier to peal off. As long as you spray whatever piece you are spraying entirely and make sure you get the edges well.....you shouldn't have a problem. But again...I have never use it over wax before so i would suggest looking for youtube videos on it.

My REAL carbon fiber helmet came in today! I got a carbon fiber pattern helmet off of ebay for 40 bucks...didn't look too bad but has an awful chemical smell so i returned it. Then found a helmet for sale on Jafrum that has a lining of REAL carbon fiber with a smoke visor under the clear one (so I don't have to bring a clear visor to switch out at night) for 100 bucks. It looks like they wrapped the helmet in the carbon fiber and put a clear coat over it...very light!
Anyhow, I should have my gunmetal color by middle of next week. I will be out of town for the fourth, so the weekend after the forth I will plasti dip with the carbon fiber pattern on the parts I mentioned above and put some pictures up!

Not sure if it was me or not but I recently had a discussion with someone about doing this. Did my uncles windscreen and he loved it, thought some of the FZ1 screens would look great this way too. Nice job it Looks great!

Not sure if it was me or not but I recently had a discussion with someone about doing this. Did my uncles windscreen and he loved it, thought some of the FZ1 screens would look great this way too. Nice job it Looks great!

I believe it was me lol. About them manufacturing a carbon fiber looking screen and then realized I could make one on my own! :)

looks good, my screen had quite some scratches from the previous owner so I did the same thing about a week ago and looks great. It is holding up quite nicely. I did some other things as well about 3 weeks ago when I bought the bike. Radiator cover, radiator side pieces and the rear handles that bolt to the frame because they were heavily scratched

Another benefit that I noticed right away was that the now darkened windscreen keeps my GPS from getting sun glare. I can now actually see it better at high noon!

I will be plasti dipping my screen, and the two black coverings on each side right beneath the seat with Plasti Dip and making a carbon pattern that Dip your car shows on Youtube. Then I can go and choose the carbon patterned mirrors to replace the OEM ones.

Nice.
How many coats did it take for you to get a good result? For now I'll just stick with the widscreen. The rest of my bikes finish is still nice.
BTW: Thanks for the idea!

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I did 3-5 coats. I do not remember exactly how many. I did them over the course of two days on a weekend and rode to work on Monday morning.

I was not aware of the "cure" time.

I did spray a few parts in different area's and the plate next to the shifter has peeled really bad from my boot moving around, so when I re-build my bike I need to peel that stuff off and either go with paint or leave it silver.

I really want to do my tank..... And if it really does cure up nice and good, i might do it while I am in the re-build process so it has plenty of time to cure before I swing a leg over the saddle again.

Back