Powdercoating Gen2 HandleBars

For my blue 05. The stock bars are black and the gen2 bars I have on the way are not. I can get them powdercoated for $30. I'd like to since the frame and everything is black and the Gen2 bar color would not match.

The cheap b*tch in me is leaning towards getting a can of bed liner spay paint. I've seen it done on frames and it doesn't look that bad.

What do you think? Is $30 a fair price for powdercoating handlebars or should I invest only $8 for the bedliner spray paint.

For my blue 05. The stock bars are black and the gen2 bars I have on the way are not. I can get them powdercoated for $30. I'd like to since the frame and everything is black and the Gen2 bar color would not match.

The cheap b*tch in me is leaning towards getting a can of bed liner spay paint. I've seen it done on frames and it doesn't look that bad.

What do you think? Is $30 a fair price for powdercoating handlebars or should I invest only $8 for the bedliner spray paint.

30 bucks isn't that bad, I guess.

I painted mine black using high temp engine paint & let it set in the sun for a day before putting back on the bike.
Worked great, and only cost me 7 bucks!

I used Louisiana sunshine, but I reckon that Georgia sunshine will have to do for ya.

I'm a cheap bastard too. :cheers:

Last edited:
Considering the amount of prep work that goes into powder coating (if done properly) $30 is not bad at all. In the long run it will be much more durable than any spray paint job. And do you really ever want to go through the trouble of taking everything apart to repaint them?

Don't forget that the liner spray is much thicker and items will be a bit difficult to re-attach to the bars without damage to this spray-on finish. Powder coat is quite durable and a lot thinner.

I've never had powdercoating done, nor gotten quotes for work, but if you ask me, $30 seems quite reasonable! Powercoating looks so much better than spray paint, so for me it would be a no-brainer.

Back