PR2 Tire Pressures

3B43

After 2 sets of PP 2CT's, I'm getting ready to put on a set of PR2's. I've been very happy w/the PP2CT's, but I'm taking a few trips (Laguna Seca is trip1!) and will end up putting 5-6000 miles on the bike in 8 weeks and want a set of tires to last!

Question: same tire pressures in the PR2's as the PP2CT's? I read on the 'other' FZ forum that a Michelin tire guy recommended 32/32 for the PP 2CT's (seems low to me) . . . commetns?

After 2 sets of PP 2CT's, I'm getting ready to put on a set of PR2's. I've been very happy w/the PP2CT's, but I'm taking a few trips (Laguna Seca is trip1!) and will end up putting 5-6000 miles on the bike in 8 weeks and want a set of tires to last!

Question: same tire pressures in the PR2's as the PP2CT's? I read on the 'other' FZ forum that a Michelin tire guy recommended 32/32 for the PP 2CT's (seems low to me) . . . commetns?

32/32 seems low unless you are talking about running at the track.

Commute i run 38/38
Back Road rides I do 35/35
Track I did 30/29

Last edited:
Start with manufacturer specs... Work from there if you need to... Reduced pressure = slower handling. If your suspension is properly set up, you should be able to run 38/40 or so...

If your suspension isn't set up properly, you are asking the tire to do part of the work of the suspension.

If your transitions aren't smooth, you may complain of reduced grip and want to lower the pressures... Don't. Ride better.

If your on/off throttle transitions aren't smooth... You may complain about premature tire wear... It's not the tire's fault. Learn how to be more smooth on the throttle and on the brakes.

Many problems caused by the rider are blamed on the tires... Don't blame the tires.

You shouldn't have to run excessively low pressures on the street if you are an average sized person.. If you're 110 lbs, you might have to.. You shouldn't have to drastically deviate from the manufacturer's suggested pressures until you get to the track...

Anybody that has ridden with me can tell you how I ride on the street... I'm no slouch... And I run 40 up front and 42 in the rear... My suspension is set up dead on, and I make every effort to be smooth at all times..

Start with manufacturer specs... Work from there if you need to... Reduced pressure = slower handling. If your suspension is properly set up, you should be able to run 38/40 or so...

If your suspension isn't set up properly, you are asking the tire to do part of the work of the suspension.

If your transitions aren't smooth, you may complain of reduced grip and want to lower the pressures... Don't. Ride better.

If your on/off throttle transitions aren't smooth... You may complain about premature tire wear... It's not the tire's fault. Learn how to be more smooth on the throttle and on the brakes.

Many problems caused by the rider are blamed on the tires... Don't blame the tires.

You shouldn't have to run excessively low pressures on the street if you are an average sized person.. If you're 110 lbs, you might have to.. You shouldn't have to drastically deviate from the manufacturer's suggested pressures until you get to the track...

Anybody that has ridden with me can tell you how I ride on the street... I'm no slouch... And I run 40 up front and 42 in the rear... My suspension is set up dead on, and I make every effort to be smooth at all times..

Why do you run 40 psi on the front tyre when 36 is recommended from factory, that's way too high IMHO.

That's tire manufacturer specs... You go by tire... Factory pressures listed in the manual by Yamaha only apply to factory tires. Used by Yamaha.... If you're not running the OEM tires, these pressures do not apply.

Last edited:
I've been through many sets of PR2's on my FJR. On that bike I run 40/42.
On the FZ1 I run 36/42 as Yamaha says to do. You could up the front to 38 or more for longer tire life but I replace them as a set and ride the twistys hard so 36 in the front is ok.
Much of how the tires will last is up to your right wrist but with smooth easy riding you should be able to get 6K plus out of the PR2

The factory settings are mainly for max tyre life, personally I prefer more grip over longevity so I run 34 front 36 rear. That way I still get fairly decent tyre life but also get excellent grip.
It's worked with all my other Sportsbikes previous to the FZ1, so why change when your on a good thing.

Back