Purchase Guidance

kpaul

Hey all, I'm a 2008 FZ6 owner, had it for about a year and I'm thinking now I want a little more power and torque. I rode my friend's CBR a while ago and found the torque addictive, but at 6'4" 275, I'm not interested in the riding position at all. :)

I'm thinking that next month or so, I'd like to sell my FZ6 on Craigslist hopefully for about 5k and then hold onto the money until the buying is good in December or January and buy a used FZ1. Here's where your advice comes in.

I'm wondering:
  • What's the latest FZ1 revision? e.g. the FZ6 had its last revision in 2007. I can't find any such info on the FZ1 for some reason.
  • When will we learn about a new FZ1 if there is one? If they come out with a brand new look for 2011 then I might want to hold off until they announce.
  • Any other general tips on the FZ1 vs. the FZ6? Seems the seating is slightly sportier but nothing ridiculous.

Thanks for the help. I see quite a few FZ1s available in the Seattle area, although unfortunately none of them in black. :)

The FZ1 is on the second generation. In 2006 the current model was released. The difference between the old and new is mostly carburation versus fuel injection and steel versus aluminum frame.

I am not aware of when a new FZ will be released. I think I remember there being a rumor that is was for the 2011 but that was just a rumor. When the FZ is redone it will probably get the current R1 engine with its crossplane firing order.

I have never been on a FZ6 so I can't compare them for you. However, I am 6'3'' and around 275 pounds, and I can tell you that the FZ1 will move ya pretty quickly. You may not be able to lift the front wheel like some of the lighter members here but the bike is potent enough to have some fun.

You will probobaly notice that you wont have to wind up a FZ1 like the 6 to make it go, and the gas mileage will be worse.

In this economy I doubt we will see many changes to most model lines as they are having enough trouble selling what they have now.

I had a FZ6 for three years and put 12k miles on it. I am not as big as you but here are some of my riding impressions.

The 6 has better wind protection or air flow, much better milage(10-15 mpg diff) bigger fuel tank and a better stock seat.

The 1 has more power-way more. No need to downshift a couple gears to pass. Much better brakes and adjustable suspension. The 1 is lower and easier to touch the ground but at your size I doubt that matters. Both headlights are on when in low beam.

Don't know your riding style but for me on the 6 I could do many twisty corners double +5 posted and the 1 it's double +10 or more. My FJR is happy at double.

Sell the 6 asap and buy the 1 asap as it is a sellers market and good deals are everywhere- why wait?

Now if you were looking for a fun day and traveling bike with plenty of grunt the FJR fits the bill very nicely. Good luck!

I'm wondering:
  • What's the latest FZ1 revision? e.g. the FZ6 had its last revision in 2007. I can't find any such info on the FZ1 for some reason.
  • When will we learn about a new FZ1 if there is one? If they come out with a brand new look for 2011 then I might want to hold off until they announce.
  • Any other general tips on the FZ1 vs. the FZ6? Seems the seating is slightly sportier but nothing ridiculous.

Thanks for the help. I see quite a few FZ1s available in the Seattle area, although unfortunately none of them in black. :)

The latest revision is the current Gen II which is 2006 through present. However, the 2010 model introduced a new 32 bit ECU and better throttle response. The 2006 model had a terrible throttle issue but is fixed with a $200 aftermarket part.

Yamaha always releases the new model lineup in the USA in the first half of Sept. Look for that in the next three weeks.

I was a 6 owner with both the '05 and '08. I thought that I'd be upset with myself after trading in to get the FZ1 but from the moment I hit the starter, I never looked back. What a world of difference between these two models. :tup: Everything you love about the FZ6 is there but it's all enhanced! The only pitfall has been the MPG and smaller tank thus more frequent stops.

While the stock seat is better than the stock FZ6 seat, it sill is crap and you should look to upgrade that to an aftermarket seat if you find it as uncomfortable as I did.

Lots of good deals out there. Craiglook: Craigslist Search and scan the number of miles you are willing to travel, or start beating up dealers on hold overs. We've seen some '09 new bikes leaving the dealer with under $9k OTD prices.

I moved up from a 2006 FZ6 to a 2009 FZ1 just this Saturday and it's amazing how similar the bikes feel.

The biggest difference was obviously power - my FZ6 was piped, pc3'd, K+N'd, and regeared. Not slow by any means but the bone-stock Fz1 still clobbers it. Working the bike to keep up with my buddies is fun, but it gets old on a multi day ride. Crusie control was pretty worthless on my FZ6 if there was any sort of hill or wind. No longer a problem now.

I do sorta miss the big ol' comfy banana seat of the FZ6 though, so I may have to start sit-testing a corbin or seargent for the new ride.

The most surprising difference difference to me was that despite the stat sheet, the FZ1 actually feels like it has a shorter wheelbase. Not really good or bad, just different...

I moved up from a 2006 FZ6 to a 2009 FZ1 just this Saturday and it's amazing how similar the bikes feel.

The biggest difference was obviously power - my FZ6 was piped, pc3'd, K+N'd, and regeared. Not slow by any means but the bone-stock Fz1 still clobbers it. Working the bike to keep up with my buddies is fun, but it gets old on a multi day ride. Crusie control was pretty worthless on my FZ6 if there was any sort of hill or wind. No longer a problem now.

I do sorta miss the big ol' comfy banana seat of the FZ6 though, so I may have to start sit-testing a corbin or seargent for the new ride.

The most surprising difference difference to me was that despite the stat sheet, the FZ1 actually feels like it has a shorter wheelbase. Not really good or bad, just different...

:welcome: and congrats to you! :D

The FZ1 has almost 1" longer wheelbase. Why it feels shorter is because the rider seat is positioned more forward than the FZ6 thus centering you over the bike's center of gravity. The weight distribution complements the better handling. :tup:

I traded up from a FZ6 Fazer (2006 model which I did 24,500 miles on) to a brand new FZ1 Fazer (2009 model) 2 weeks ago and for the first week I was wondering whether it was the right decision. But other than the MPG (15 mpg worse on the FZ1), the FZ1 is better in every way. The bike feels more sophisticated, due to the improved suspension, it feels much more planted when cornering.. The gearbox on the FZ6 was good but my new FZ1 is silky smooth, the brakes are better, a lot more bite. The improved power and torque make overtaking much safer. You can't wrong with either but if you have the money go for the FZ1.

Steve

Thanks all, pretty much how I figured it. I'm looking into it, hopefully sometime in the next year I'll be able to make the upgrade. The price needs to be right, so I'll probably be bikeless for a while, but in the Seattle winters (30-40s, rain) that isn't a terrible fate. :)

Oh, FZ1inNH, I knew I'd get caught cheating by an FZ6 forumer! :)

Thanks all, pretty much how I figured it. I'm looking into it, hopefully sometime in the next year I'll be able to make the upgrade. The price needs to be right, so I'll probably be bikeless for a while, but in the Seattle winters (30-40s, rain) that isn't a terrible fate. :)

Oh, FZ1inNH, I knew I'd get caught cheating by an FZ6 forumer! :)

I think now is a pretty good time to get a 06+ fz1, at least here in CA.

I just got mine for $4000 :D

Back