quick fix after being screwed by insurance.

hello all,
i am new to the forum and looking for some insight. I come from the italian (ducati) world, purchased my 2010 FZ1-S in 2012 after costs of my Duc monster got to heavy for my income to support. So, i had a buddy driving up to whitehorse after christmas and he offered to haul my bike if i rented the u-haul trailer. In the process of hauling my bike from calgary to whitehorse he hit the ditch. upon the impact the straps broke and allowed the bike to nose dive into the trailer. The "crash" broke the headlight unit, main stays and brackets. as well the cowl it messed and handlebar/ mirrors are goners, the levers and electrical controls appear to have made it out scott free though. I did not have collision on the bike while it was being transported to my new home, i did attempt to contact my broken before the bike left on the trip but he was "on vacation" and never answers phone calls.... i spoke with another agent there and he had told me that i would be covered while in transport. *i was not present (as i flew down for the holidays and flew back up after) Now, insurnce is refusing to pay anything on it and he feels he is "not responcible". any cheap options to fix? or any insight into other alternatives? any help would be greatly appreciated. :banghead:

his insurance should pay to fix the bike. the transport trailer insurance you get with a motorcycle policy doesn't cover the bike when it's in tow, instead it pays for replacement or fixing of a trailer specifically designed to transport the bike. It was property he was responsible for when he offered to transport it and basically took possession of the property for transport. You paid your insurance company for insurance to either pay or to deal with the people to pay to fix the bike. At the very least it may be a good idea to sit down with a lawyer over this before you do to much to the bike. Sometimes it only takes a phone call from a lawyer to get your insurance company motivated enough to deal with it.

You could get the cowl new, I would by it from part shark and the rest would be cheapest from part out bikes. If you want to convert it into naked version than I would go the OEM way. I do not know anything about the version you posted but usually fitting and lasting are much better for OEM parts, you really do not want to replace this every 3 years because color faded or the plastics starts ripping due to age. Some things are good from China but without any long time experience I would not assume that they do not change with time.

His insurance isn't going to pay you dick. The vehicle cover he has will only cover the damage the trailer does to other vehicles or property. It won't cover the trailer or it's contents. You need to have trailer insurance for that. As far as what the insurance guy told you, coverage cannot be obtained through a conversation on the phone. You need to have the paper work done. Lawyering up isn't going to get you no where. Been there done this.

What's kind of amazing is that you had the balls to ask your buddy to pay for it. He offered to transport it for you and it was unfortunate that the accident happened. When you decided to get him to pick it up you accepted all risk. Do you think he would have transported it if you had said to him before he left, anything that happens to that bike your responsible for.

Last edited:
Back