Radiator fluid coming out side of engine

I have radiator fluid dripping/dropping/coming out the side hole of the engine. Ideas on what the issue is and how to repair it? I have heard to use stop leak and pepper, in lieu of major repair work.

Worst part is that I took my ride in for the 12,000 mile work to be performed and it came back to me in worse condition. I say that because I was not having this issue before it went in. Now I've heard it could be a cracked engine because the leak is between 3&4.

Whatever the case, it sucks. Now I ride back home on Friday night and it has two drops on the garage floor Monday morning. Or in the case of last night, I ran to the store, set it on the side peg and it ran down there. I use the center stand at home now so I don't get radiator fluid on the garage floor.

I have radiator fluid dripping/dropping/coming out the side hole of the engine. Ideas on what the issue is and how to repair it? I have heard to use stop leak and pepper, in lieu of major repair work.

Worst part is that I took my ride in for the 12,000 mile work to be performed and it came back to me in worse condition. I say that because I was not having this issue before it went in. Now I've heard it could be a cracked engine because the leak is between 3&4.

Whatever the case, it sucks. Now I ride back home on Friday night and it has two drops on the garage floor Monday morning. Or in the case of last night, I ran to the store, set it on the side peg and it ran down there. I use the center stand at home now so I don't get radiator fluid on the garage floor.

Gen I or Gen II? A picture would be helpful...

If it came out of the shop that way, how come you have not pressured them into fixing it? Did they adjust the valves or at least check for clearance? If so, it could be that they did not get the head gasket installed correctly with either a pinch, break, or debris trapped that is allowing fluid by.

Check the oil CLOSELY to insure it isn't turning into a brown foam indicating a leak inside as well. That will ruin the bearings throughout the engine.

I have done some pressure but being a newbie, I really didn't have the confidence to push them hard to fix it for free. I will be. I just got back and there was another puddle. :(

It seems fair to say it comes out whether the engine is on or off? If so, then it sounds like y'all are right that it was not put back together correctly.

My bike is a 2005 so Gen I. I will take a picture of the hole and the fluid. Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Don't be afraid to push them to fix this. Just go in and inquire and calmly/nicely explain that the bike did not leak before you took it to them but now it does. Do you know if they removed the valve cover and checked the valves? If so, there is a compelling reason to ask nicely and then firmly to get it fixed. If they refuse, tell them you are leaving to consult legal counsel. Just don't be rude with them or raise your voice. State it as "matter of fact" as you can. Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking, Who did you take it to? Hayden, Midwest, Olathe Suzuki, or did you buzz over to Reno's?

I was sort of nice. I put the whole truth out there. I just can't believe that by sheer coincidence that this happened while at their shop...the service manager believes it could happen and that he wouldn't be upset if it happened to him once it was explained to me that by sheer coincidence you didn't have this issue before service and now you do so he just accepts it. Bigger man than me. I have spoken to a friend of mine who is an atty and he asks me daily how's it going. I update him and tell him that I'll let him know when I hear from the shop. I have to wait for the loan funds before I will take the cycle in. No credit cards and we drained our savings.

I think I am getting the shaft...however, they have agreed to take my cycle in, look it over, and IF whatever the issue is, is a result of something they did, no charge to me. Seems fair, but I feel as though I will be paying big bucks, that I had to get a loan for, to fix my only transportation (wife has her own car and needs it).

I took it to Reno's. Same place I bought it from. I called three other shops in town. All don't believe it happened or would happen. One even went so far as to say that these engines don't just do that. Heck, tank in and tank out, my mileage is 43-45 mpg. Yes, I am told often by a friend that I don't ride the bike the way it was meant to be ridden. Maybe one of these days I will.

Last edited:
I was sort of nice. I put the whole truth out there. I just can't believe that by sheer coincidence that this happened while at their shop...the service manager believes it could happen and that he wouldn't be upset if it happened to him once it was explained to me that by sheer coincidence you didn't have this issue before service and now you do so he just accepts it. Bigger man than me. I have spoken to a friend of mine who is an atty and he asks me daily how's it going. I update him and tell him that I'll let him know when I hear from the shop. I have to wait for the loan funds before I will take the cycle in. No credit cards and we drained our savings.

I think I am getting the shaft...however, they have agreed to take my cycle in, look it over, and IF whatever the issue is, is a result of something they did, no charge to me. Seems fair, but I feel as though I will be paying big bucks, that I had to get a loan for, to fix my only transportation (wife has her own car and needs it).

I took it to Reno's. Same place I bought it from. I called three other shops in town. All don't believe it happened or would happen. One even went so far as to say that these engines don't just do that. Heck, tank in and tank out, my mileage is 43-45 mpg. Yes, I am told often by a friend that I don't ride the bike the way it was meant to be ridden. Maybe one of these days I will.

Yes he is a bigger man Literally, :th_smiley_rotfl2[1] I am going to guess that they will deny they had anything to do with it, and will most likely tell you how much it will cost to fix it.

my bike is also throwing the liquid from the radiator overflow hose, may be the coolant? Replace the original by a Motul fluid, that it buy a new radiator, remove the thermostat to rule out heating oil level is correct and maintains its color and viscosity, after leaving the highway and make a stop, the level of deposit water mark up full (when I left home was just full) waiting for the engine to cool, I look back on the water tank and the water level is well below empty almost nothing!, this has me crazy grhhh ..

my bike is also throwing the liquid from the radiator overflow hose, may be the coolant? Replace the original by a Motul fluid, that it buy a new radiator, remove the thermostat to rule out heating oil level is correct and maintains its color and viscosity, after leaving the highway and make a stop, the level of deposit water mark up full (when I left home was just full) waiting for the engine to cool, I look back on the water tank and the water level is well below empty almost nothing!, this has me crazy grhhh ..

What you are describing may be perfectly normal as long as your coolant temperature isn't getting too high. As coolant heats up and expands it will "overflow" into the reservoir and raise the level. As the engine cools down, coolant is sucked back out of the reservoir. If your coolant reservoir is overfilled it will spit the excess coolant out to make room in the reservoir.

I have recommended to drain the coolant by the screw that goes into the metal tube of the lower left side may be that a vacuum of air is circulating inside the cooling system, I change the radiator with a new one because the first received a blow so I decided to change it.

I have recommended to drain the coolant by the screw that goes into the metal tube of the lower left side may be that a vacuum of air is circulating inside the cooling system, I change the radiator with a new one because the first received a blow so I decided to change it.

Sounds like you still have some air trapped in the system. Fill it best you can and remove the radiator cap. This is the highest point in the system and air should eventually end up located here. (only take the cap off with it cool, and you shouldn't need to run the engine more than a few minutes. As the coolant level goes down, just add more coolant/ water mix till it is full again. (this does not fill your reservoir.) Once you get all the air out of the system. Put the cap back on and fill the reservoir up so that the level is between the high level and the low level. Now take it for a ride and when you get back the reservoir should have about the same or a little bit more coolant than when you started. After the engine cools down you should see that the coolant level has gone back down to about where it was. If it goes a little lower don't sweat it, just fill it back to the middle. (If you have to add more fluid to the reservoir more than 2 times, you should seek assistance from a pro.)

Sounds like you still have some air trapped in the system. Fill it best you can and remove the radiator cap. This is the highest point in the system and air should eventually end up located here. (only take the cap off with it cool, and you shouldn't need to run the engine more than a few minutes. As the coolant level goes down, just add more coolant/ water mix till it is full again. (this does not fill your reservoir.) Once you get all the air out of the system. Put the cap back on and fill the reservoir up so that the level is between the high level and the low level. Now take it for a ride and when you get back the reservoir should have about the same or a little bit more coolant than when you started. After the engine cools down you should see that the coolant level has gone back down to about where it was. If it goes a little lower don't sweat it, just fill it back to the middle. (If you have to add more fluid to the reservoir more than 2 times, you should seek assistance from a pro.)

well explained, makes this night, tomorrow I will tell you the result

Back