Rear Brake Help Please

Was changing the rear tire tonight. Pulled off the brake caliper and this clip fell off. No idea where it came from.

Can anyone identify it so I can locate in the service manual please?

Its in the aftermarket vendor drawing below, but no real identification.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

~J

Attachments

• IMG_0960_2.jpg
    IMG_0960_2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0961_2.jpg
    IMG_0961_2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 77
  • CE_13134_1.jpg
    CE_13134_1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 105
That's weird. I checked two other sites and both show the piece in the exploded drawings yet do not show placement of the part. When I get back today I'll try and snap a few shots to post here since my wheels are off the bike I'll be able to see the part easy.

That clip goes on the end of the caliber . Im pretty sure its the one to the rear of the caliber. This clip keeps the pads secure .

One would think this topic would have been beat to death. As my luck would have it.......

Lonney is correct, it seems to be a retainer for the brake pads, but knowing is not the same as doing.

Installation requires the pads be held open, and guided onto that forward mounted keeper-clip. Then install the two bolts that hold the caliper to the mount.

The fun starts at about page 4-30 in the SM.

Any help would be appreciated.

~J

It is a bit fiddly , it goes as said in the brake pad carrier forward most , I put a smear of Cooper slip grease on it to hold it in , then locate the pads in to it leaving the other end of the pad the pin goes through floating , the caliper can now be put over carefully not to knock the pads out , then the end pin can be put through ,, I only ever undo the rear most bolt and pivot the caliper up then pull it out of the front with the pivot /pin , hope this makes some sense

Yes. It does. Thank you.

Most important, it is possible. The few videos online skip through this as if its a trivial action. I don't think so.

I'll try the grease trick, although that probably has to be a small dose to keep it away from the pads.

Thanks a ton.

Gen II Rear Brake Caliper Replacement Wheel on Bike.

I just got done doing this during a rear tire replacement. When I got to the put it back together stage, I had a loose clip I could not figure out where it had come from and, just the installation prices was a bit mysterious.

This assumes you have the caliper off via two retaining bolts and that the brake mount (that the axle goes through) is still on the bike. Thus, brake pad replacement without rear wheel removal, for instance.

Use the following procedure, and refer to the diagram I marked up from the service manual. Mine is a 2008 FZ1.

1) Install Brake pad spring (7) into Rear Brake Caliper (3) correctly. It seems obvious, but it can go in two ways, 180 degrees apart. It has two retaining arms. These line up with the raised areas inside the caliper.

2) At the area I have highlighted in red, there is a retaining clip. It holds the front edge of the brake pads. It is best held in place with a tiny dab of grease or something else tacky (special thanks to Delbert for that trick)

3) Carefully spread the pads, locate the caliper assembly over the rotor.

4) Install the “leading caliper bolt”

5) All simultaneously now, press down on the back of the caliper, pull both pads up into the caliper, rotating them into the retaining clip. Its possible. :)

6) Once the pads are securely located into the retaining clip, install the "rear caliper bolt".

Thanks to Delbert for the help.

Attachments

• 4-30_Rear_Brake.pdf
    178.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Back