Rear ride height adjustment

mikeswe

Has anyone tried adjusting the rear ride height? Either by a different length shock, or by changing the linkage "dogbones". I was thinking that it might quicken the steering a bit and you gain some ground clearance too.

I curious as to whether or not you've set your static sag first. I am also curious if you have tried lowering the forks between 5 and 7mm's? I have done just that and the bike is steering like a champ now. And thats with 6,000 mile tires that need replacing. Just setting up the suspension and doing the modification to the forks will help immensely with the steering and handling.

Has anyone tried adjusting the rear ride height? Either by a different length shock, or by changing the linkage \"dogbones\". I was thinking that it might quicken the steering a bit and you gain some ground clearance too.

Well you need to be careful not to raise the rear too much as that can have unintended results. Probably easier and safer to lower the forks in the triple clamps as FZ1riderNY suggested. If you do want to change the dogbones I wouldn't raise the rear more than 1" just to be on the safe side.

I started out with lowered links, switched to raised, and currently running stock. Out of the 3, the stock set (with the suspension setup correctly) has been the most enjoyable.

I would like to try raising the forks, but due to the GYTR risers and the SM2 handlebars, I'm kind of limited on room for clearance.

As NJFZ1 suggests, don't go more than an inch. I've also seen that there are adjustable links where to raise/lower is far easier than the way I've had to do it in the past.

With raising the rear, you will lose ground clearance from your centerstand where any type of servicing will require something under the stand to get the ground clearance necessary.

Adam

I haven't measured the sag yet, everything is stock including susp settings. Spring rates seem to match my weight (85kg) pretty well. The bike is for the road first, and track second. I'm thinking of changing the rear shock to an Ohlins unit, like I have done on several previous bikes. Ohlins are top notch, both ride, quality and looks. Pretty expensive but money well spent, it will cost about the same as a slip-on can and a Powercommander. Their unit YA628 is 320.5mm long, do someone know the stock shock length? Wilbers also has a shock, they also have a link kit to raise the rear 25mm. Ground clearance is an issue on the track so I don't want to raise the forks.

YA 628 - Öhlins

Wilbers Products GmbH

http://www.hksuspension.nl/pdf/Katalogus%20Wilbers%202008(7)%20Verhogingskit.pdf

I just printed off several of the suspension worksheets and will start working with the stock stuff to see how close I can get to my rider weight (230 lbs with all the gear) but I fear it will not have nearly enough adjustment.

Besides Racetech, who has quality spring kits for front and rear for the GEN II?

Talk to Lee at Traxxion Dynamics.

Not only does he know his stuff, but he is also an owner of an FZ (Gen II and used to own an FJR as well)

va_rider/myself/and a whole bunch of others from FZ1OA have nothing but :D for their products, and Customer service is TOP NOTCH!!

Adam

Last edited:
I went down the cheap route, second hand r1 shock
r1shock003-1.jpg

Was a little tight!...... had to turn reg rectifier through 45degree's and take all the slack out of the loom

r1shock002.jpg

cut about an inch of plastic away from the tray near the seat lock, can just get to the adjuster!!

the r1 shock is shorter, so i made a cardboard template to work out ride height and drilled the linkage to suit!

r1shock001.jpg

im well pleased with the result , only done about 5 miles, looking forward to getting on some twisties with it . not too sure about the strength of the links now there drilled so i will make some new ones!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried adjusting the rear ride height? Either by a different length shock, or by changing the linkage \"dogbones\". I was thinking that it might quicken the steering a bit and you gain some ground clearance too.
ive lifted mine slightly , about half an inch from top of undertray to the centre of the rear tyre. cant say if its faster into corners yet though ,only done a few miles

Back