Recommendations?

I am looking at purchasing a fz1. My question is would it be better to buy a brand new one, say a new 09 or 10 at a discounted price. Or to find one thats got a couple thousand miles on it and in excellent condition? Any advantages of going either way?
New, well its new and I would know how its been treated from day one. Or slightly used but has a few miles on it so if there are any bugs they may be worked out and that first service job is done?

it depends on whether a warranty is very important to you... if it were me, I would much rather buy one that has a few years and few miles on it.... also some typical mods on it... exhaust, intake, power commander, etc... Used ones are so dang cheap now, and most of them are pretty hooked up.

But... if a warranty is important, and you're the kind of person who leaves their bike relatively stock.... going the "new" route might be better.

That is where I am torn. I do like to do some mods to my things, I've never left anything stock for long. My thoughts are most do mods to increase performance. There is a difference in doing mods and enjoying those mods and doing mods and then beating the living crap out of it because it has those mods. If that makes any sense? I have a lifted jeep, some fairly aggressive tires, quick disconnects etc. It can go pretty much anywhere I want to go and then some. But I don't take it out and try to climb mountains with it. I guess it all depends on the bike.

If I look at a used one are there any years I should avoid? Anything in particular to look for when looking at the bike?

If new bikes only cost $6-7K here in Australia I would go the new one all day, every day.
Unfortunately they cost $15-16K instead making the used route the way to go.

You guys don't know how lucky you have it with the price of your motorcycles, our Aussie dollar is worth a little more than your USD but we pay at least double (and then some) what you guys do.

I was in the same place - trying to decide which, used or new this past summer. I started seeing 'internet specials' that were within a reasonable driving distance and they were lower or about the same as the used FZ1s I was potentially interested in.

I bought a new '08 FZ1 and will mod it the way I want it from the start.

I'd have said "used" as well but when you mentioned the '09 "new" for under $6,500, well, it just makes more sense to go get that one and mod the way you desire. Realistically? The Gen II is a LOT of bike in stock form anyway. Performance isn't an issue and the '09 model is tried and true with most bugs worked out. The '06 was the only one with the bad fuel cut issue. All the rest have a fuel cut but it is almost negligible unless you are a semi-pro track day star.

Go for the holdover at the price of a used bike. Then you don't have to worry about what sort of abuse the bike has had or if mods were of a questionable nature. ;)

If you have to have the shop do all of your maintence and repairs, get a new one. If you do most of your work and aren't afraid of a little problem solving, a used one will save you a bundle. All mod aren't for HP. Handling, comfort and smoothness are important too. Some of these guys even to mods for appearance. LOL!

I do like to do some of the work on my bikes. I guess it kinda depends on what it is, like the brakes or things that could be a safety issue if they aren't right. As for changing the oil and stuff like that I will be doing that myself. I was thinking that if I get a new 09 or so for $7k or so I could possibly have a few extra $'s for a couple mods like the lower "chin" spoiler or maybe a rear seat cowl. I'm getting pretty anxious to throw a leg over a bike again.

My new '08 was $6999 and the few used FZ1s in the area on CL at this point were asking that much and more.

It was a nice drive to go and get it and the dealership treated me like I was king for the day. Usually when I buy used, I wind up at some point wishing I'd bought new, but not this time.

Prices being close to the same - it is very difficult to justify buying used. With used you don't know how the bike was treated - or even if the oil was changed - except for just before you bought - and it shows up clean.
You don't know how the guy jerked the clutch, how he shifted - did he even use the clutch while shifting... anything could have gone on.
Mod's - how messed up is the performance of the bike now - compared to new?
Of course, there will be those that argue - "that's extreme talk - no one would treat a bike that way".
Answer - - Wrong! Lots of people abuse their machines. Lot's of people don't know what they are doing - and many don't care...

With a new bike - it is new - just the way Yamaha designed it to be.

No contest new to used --- it's just my opinion...

Yep we Aussies always get screwed. I thought I got a good deal. Bought a new unused o km '09 in Spt this year for 13k ride away with 12mths full insurance. Unfortunatley I just looked at this thread! Bugger!!
Spent some time in the States everything was CHEAP from big screen tvs to cars.

My opinion = All the guys i ride with look after there bikes and maintained them to a high standard, i would be confident to sat 98% of FZ1 owners look after there bike. You really cant go to wrong with one the motors are bulletproof and the build quality is up there with Honda. How many guys on this forum keep there bikes stock or the same spec as "new", maybe 1%. If you find a used FZ1 with a few nice goodies performance, suspension, etc.. and well looked after grab it.

For 6K for a "new" 09 or 10 model........that is hard to pass up. Either way, you can't hardly go wrong with an FZ with low miles or on display floor. First thing would be to ride 1 or 2 or more and see the difference and make sure you love it----not just like it. I did quite a bit of research and rode a few, including a brand new FZ8 before deciding on my 07 FZ1 with very low miles. Bike was 100% stock.

For 6K for a "new" 09 or 10 model........that is hard to pass up. Either way, you can't hardly go wrong with an FZ with low miles or on display floor. First thing would be to ride 1 or 2 or more and see the difference and make sure you love it----not just like it. I did quite a bit of research and rode a few, including a brand new FZ8 before deciding on my 07 FZ1 with very low miles. Bike was 100% stock.

same thing here but i went with the new 09 for $7200 "after everything" price. test drove a brand new FZ8, used FZ1 with low miles and a couple of other bikes but i couldnt pass up the new 09 FZ. It had never had any fluid in it until after i baught it. like FZ1yb said, you cant go wrong with a low mile FZ or an out of the box 09 or 10 for the price your talking. but i love the fact that my FZ has only been mine. so if your like me......."USEDcorner":box:"NEWcorner"

Last edited:
Personally, I've seen too many modded bikes that a) had mods that I wasn't interested in, b) didn't run that well because owner didn't know what he was doing and c) you never really know if the previous owner abused it in the time he had it. For those reasons I like a new bike that I can do with what I want. That's just me, but if you can find a used one at a good price and are comfortable living with things you don't like/need on it, and can correct them if necessary go ahead and do it. There are some people that always buy used and some that prefer new......it's just a matter of personal preference.

Found an 07 with 2k miles on it for $5k. But after he sent me pics I could see the rear disc were badly rusted, some scratches by the rear passenger grab handles and one on the tank. Big thing was the oil drips on the driveway. Says it was overfilled at the dealer during its last oil change. I am afraid too much oil in the crankcase could cause a blown seal inside the engine. Plus the there was visible evidence that it had been wet. There were water marks all over the gauges etc. So I'm gonna pass on this one. The search continues.

I'm feeling like some sort of drug addict and I'm needing a two wheel fix

That is what all of my coworkers are saying since I got my bike. They are addicted to finding one of thier own. Just be patient. If you feel uncomfortable about something with any bike you look at, then its probably not the one for you. Unless its something you can mod like the back fender or something cosmetic.

Found an 07 with 2k miles on it for $5k. But after he sent me pics I could see the rear disc were badly rusted, some scratches by the rear passenger grab handles and one on the tank. Big thing was the oil drips on the driveway. Says it was overfilled at the dealer during its last oil change. I am afraid too much oil in the crankcase could cause a blown seal inside the engine. Plus the there was visible evidence that it had been wet. There were water marks all over the gauges etc. So I'm gonna pass on this one. The search continues.

I'm feeling like some sort of drug addict and I'm needing a two wheel fix

Yea, that one sounds like one to not bother with. Just be patient and something will turn up in your price range...

I suppose I got lucky when I started looking for an FZ1 back in '09. Found a really clean one at a reasonable price the first week.

Back