Rider to Rider Communication

Bike to Bike communicators

I use the Scala Riders, you can get a multi pack which has two complete sets in the package. They work great and are easy to use. There are a couple of downfalls with Scala Riders, you have to be within eyesight of the other rider and can only link with up to three communicators. I know a number of people who use Collett Communicators they have a better range and no limit on the number of people who can link in. Most people using Colletts find them excellent but I found them a little more bulky with the battery pack. All comes down to how many people you want to talk to. Good luck.

Last edited:
I currently have a set of Motorola LXT FMRS radios that I use for wireless comms between me and my son. The only problem is using the VOX feature combined with the wind noise. I now have a PTT switch inline with the earphone/speaker setup which is okay but only with a thumb switch. I have checked out the Cardo's and will probably go with them only because they fit into my budget and I think there is a version that supports bluetooth.

can't find them anywhere on that website.... you sure you can get them there?

but... $246 was about the cheapest I could find.

MULTISET CARDO SCALA RIDER Q2 BLUETOOTH HEADSET w/MP3 - eBay (item 150358025555 end time Jul-19-09 22:49:58 PDT)

Yes, I did but it appears they are out of stock as seen on their Amazon store: Cardo Systems Scala Rider Q2 Multiset | Abes of Maine Cameras and Electronics

Here's another source at almost the same price I paid: ShopBargainworks.com Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Multiset

Cheapest option is two plastic cups and a length of string.

At high speeds you do have to shout quite a bit louder, though.

Hope that helps. I'm always available for an easy, quick solution to any problem....;)

Regards

Simon

The Scala Rider is outstanding in many ways. Clear at any speed and works within eyesight up to a quarter mile or more. It self regulates for wind noise (noise canceling) and all kinds of other goodies. Their biggest issue is that they're quirky. Sometimes you hear regular beeping for no apparent reason. Sometimes they keep disconnecting for no apparent reason. Sometimes it disconnects from my phone for no apparent reason. They're easily reconnected in such cases but it's a minor annoyance to keep pressing a button to reconnect. I could write about these things for hours but suffice it to say I couldn't be without one after experiencing all the benefits. It's an amazing piece of technology. Like our computers, with all the virus and other issues, these things are a work in progress.

Motocom has a good system based on FRS radios and come with both vox and ptt. As long as all folks are on the same freq, they work well with any number of radios. Motocom is also a good company to deal with; parts come quick when you, er, break them.:eek:

I second the Motocomm. I have used it with both frs and gmrs radios. Some of the guys in one of my riding groups use chatterbox and we have no problems communicating. They are a great company to deal with as well, I called them about a short in my music cable and they sent another one even though I no longer had proof I bought it. I later called and was able to get a new attachment kit for my new helmet since I couldn't find the original stuff. didn't have to pay for anything either time.

It's line-of-sight, but learning and using handsignals is a universal communications mode, really cheap, and never breaks down or needs a battery replacement. Also allows the peace and tranqulity of riding to be experienced without a lot of clutter in the eardrums.
:rmwl:

In reguard to noise such as helmet wind noise, I have a Fulmer modular flip-up face helmet. While it is convienent in so many ways, the nature of its construction causes alot of wind noise as I'm riding, along with quite a bit of chill this time of year. I'v thought of a couple ways to eleminate this, and that is by useing a helmet skirt or neckgaiter, or possably a Balaclava. With a comunication system, I believe this might remedy the annoying noise that might overwealm the headphones. Although a regular full face helmet would likely have less of the wind noise.
Are the scala riders loud enough at 60mph+ speeds?

Last edited:
Back