Road trip

I am contemplating taking my FZ1 for about a 1500 mile trip both ways this summer. My bike is completely stock. Other than getting a throttle lock or cramp buster and luggage, is there anything else I should think about for making this kind of trek? I have complete riding gear, leather pants and all also.

I am contemplating taking my FZ1 for about a 1500 mile trip both ways this summer. My bike is completely stock. Other than getting a throttle lock or cramp buster and luggage, is there anything else I should think about for making this kind of trek? I have complete riding gear, leather pants and all also.

Chain lube.

Take a rain suit and a tire repair kit with a pump with you. Also it might be good to install aux power outlets to charge a gps and/or cell.

Concerning the luggage you should test it on the Fz1 before buying, so best go to a shop if you do not like to return items you bought online. Of course you can go that way after research and with enough time in advance for at least one exchange cycle.

I found that not all magnetic tank bags hold well to the Fz1 so I went with a strap on Givi tank bag which is rather made for adventure bikes but fits very well and is not so broad. With soft saddle bags you easily run into problems that they hang to close to the tire and might touch it when you are leaned over. So better try it before leaving so usually it is possible to find a work around for the latter problem but this requires some time.

Have fun on your trip.

CorTech luggage works well on the FZ1, I have used it before getting the GIVI Hard Cases. The Tailbag clips on to the side bags so they are like a single unit. I have used those in a downpour and if you secure the rain covers properly everything stays dry.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, few other items which make long days in the saddle more pleasant:
1. Aftermarket grips (anything thicker than stock is nice.. soaks up vibes. Grip puppies are great too).
2. Tall / touring screen (for long days + highways).
3. Highway pegs (a better alternative to just sticking your legs out to stretch.. or resting your calves on frame sliders).

Try a Go Cruise throttle lock. I have used one with great success for several long trips.
Amazon.com: go cruise throttle lock

Also, protect your hearing with foam earplugs.

As others have said - do all of your major maintenance before you go, fresh oil and filter, clean air filter, ect. Make sure your tires will get you there and back, unless you have planned for a tire change on the trip. They sell smaller cans of chain lube that is easier to pack, and together with a zip-lock baggie of rags and disposable rubber gloves, you'll be set!

Take a short trip with all of your 'road trip' gear installed and try it out before you go. (It was worth repeating.) And although I've done it, modifications done the night before you leave are generally a bad idea.

Duct tape, reflective or shiny if you can get it, is great for repairing damaged soft luggage (or holding other stuff together until it can be repaired - like lights and fairings). Bungee cords will help hold said damaged luggage together and on the bike. Buy a new package of assorted bungee cords - they're relatively cheap; because you don't want to have to fiddle with old, dried out bungees when you really need them. Zip ties, in assorted sizes. At the very least, a basic FZ oriented tool set.

Carry more flat repair kit than you think you'll need. I carry a C02 type as well as a plug type with tire goop and a small air pump. A set of jumper cables is nice to have too. Road Gear sells some nice accessories, like flat repair stuff and jumper cables.
http://roadgear.com/tire-repair-bike-maintenance-c-24_41.html

A helmet communication system is nice too, and most will allow you to listen to music and make phone calls via blue tooth. I use a Sena SMH10 and am pleased with it.

As long as your gear is well suited for rain use, and you have the ability to remove warmer inner layers, you'll be good. If you will ride at night, a small microfiber towel is nice for cleaning bugs off of your face shield. You can dampen and rinse it when you get fuel (this is actually great in the daytime too!)

Be prepared to ride in the rain. (This should probably read: Be confident of your ability to ride in the rain.)

There's more I'm sure, and I know I repeated some stuff, but that's probably most of the important stuff.

Last edited:
Great feedback. I am riding from Fargo ND, to just outside of Seattle to visit my daughter. Haven't really made any long trips yet and this is only my fourth season riding. I also have a BMW R80RT, but I am just not confident in it as it is a 30 year old bike. What about the seat? Is it worth ponying up the money for a better sadle?

Great feedback. I am riding from Fargo ND, to just outside of Seattle to visit my daughter. Haven't really made any long trips yet and this is only my fourth season riding. I also have a BMW R80RT, but I am just not confident in it as it is a 30 year old bike. What about the seat? Is it worth ponying up the money for a better sadle?

Hey you will be by me! Where you going to?

The number of days you're planning for the trip will make a difference on what you 'need' to buy. If you're planning 750 miles per day, by all means spend some money on comfort upgrades. If you're going to enjoy the ride, take twisty roads and check out the scenery, I don't see why you can't just get on your bike and go as it is. Pack for inclement weather and bring emergency supplies.

Take the trip, enjoy yourself and decide what you want to adjust or modify when you get back. You'll be a better rider for it.

I will stress one point Strider made, as it is a good one:
Wear ear plugs.

Permanent hearing damage can & will occur without them, even with a full face helmet. Cutting out the wind noise also greatly reduces fatigue and increases concentration.

Last edited:
The number of days you're planning for the trip will make a difference on what you 'need' to buy. If you're planning 750 miles per day, by all means spend some money on comfort upgrades. If you're going to enjoy the ride, take twisty roads and check out the scenery, I don't see why you can't just get on your bike and go as it is. Pack for inclement weather and bring emergency supplies.

Take the trip, enjoy yourself and decide what you want to adjust or modify when you get back. You'll be a better rider for it.

I will stress one point Strider made, as it is a good one:
Wear ear plugs.

Permanent hearing damage can & will occur without them, even with a full face helmet. Cutting out the wind noise also greatly reduces fatigue and increases concentration.

True, riding the bike as is will allow you to decide where (if at all) you want to spend money on comfort mods. I've been coast to coast on the stock seat, and am ok with it. Others can't stand the stock seat for longer than a couple of hours. Everyone is different, you'll have decide for yourself.

Trust me when I say that noise isolating ear buds like you would use with an iPod, while great for listening to music, are near worthless as hearing protection on a motorcycle. 18 hours from Miami to Houston wearing ear buds? YEAH, that'll make your ears bleed.

Oh, and how could we all forget ...

DON'T FORGET THE CAMERA! (and related accessories like the film, batteries, memory cards, and charger)

:D

I believe that many of the newer tank bags allow for a hydration system for on the road drinking. The CorTech sloped bag even comes with a bladder cover and ports on the side.

Here's a couple examples of mini travel supplies you can carry with you that easily pack into luggage or even under the seat:

Mini WD-40 for chain cleaning & general de-mucking
3oz-can43896571.jpg

Mini chain lube
accessories-maxima-lubricant-oil-chain-100-synthetic-chain-guard.jpg

Stop & Go Tire Repair Kit
stopandgo_kit1_plugger.jpg

Small pack of nitrile gloves
muiUegKd7TJDcBxi56SSAmw.jpg

Emergency fuse kit
86299691.jpg

I haven't tried that Chain Guard, but I have used Maxima's Chain Wax - good stuff.

As for the gloves, I would carry a minimum of one pair for every time you will have to lube or clean the chain, plus at least one extra pair.

Those red rags that you can get at Walmart or an auto parts store work well for chain maintenance while traveling. Use a rag once and discard, or store a used rag in a ziplock bag for multiple uses (I recommend a heavier duty ziplock, as you don't want the crap off of the rag getting on whatever you pack it next too). I usually get a few uses out of a rag before it's too dirty and I have to pitch it.

That is one of the tire repair kits that I carry.

These are from my Cali trip in 2012, which I did on my SV (before I had the Fazer) but you'll get the idea ...

All packed out. Actually, probably TOO packed out. That's an extra 60 lbs of gear, and some of it high up. But I guess in the big scheme of things, other folks are carrying more in that spot, and more of it higher up, when riding two up.

After a little run in with a cage, while lane splitting in San Fran ... The aforementioned duct tape and bungee cords worked well. I made it back to Texas with those bags, and this occurred near the halfway point on that trip. I still hadn't made it to Oregon yet!

That was a hasty repair done with duct tape that was kindly donated by a gas station clerk. I found shiny foil type duct tape at a Target that evening, and performed a better repair that night at camp. That bag was pretty useless for the rest of the trip, but I packed it with things that I probably wouldn't have to use. And as it turned out, I didn't have to get back into the bag until I got home.
:)

Needless to say, the soft bags probably saved me on that one. If the SV would've been equipped with hard bags, I may have gone down - soft bags are well ... Soft.

Oh, and again sorry for the SV650 pics on a FZ1 forum.:eek:

I, too, have experienced the displeasure of touring on an overloaded SV. My first time touring in California was on my SV650 with my Givi top case way over packed. I brought twice as much as I needed and the weight was hefty and up pretty high to boot. Not the ideal set up :popcorn:

Back