RPM's and Speed

Just wanted to know what you guys cruise around in. I seem to keep the bike around 3500-4K when just cruising around in the 35-60mph range, was wondering if thats ok for the bike.

Also, does 5K RPM and approzimatley 75mph sound right? Does cruising around at 75-80mph hurt the motor? Im not used to these high revving engines, was just making sure that its ok for that. Plus I was considering doing the 3 up sproket in the rear when I replace the chain. But thats going to increase the RPM's as well...

I know this is a stupid question, but I really dont know who else to ask!

On the contrary, these motors work best up the that range. They are built to rev, plain and simple. With that being said, I too travel most of the time in the 4K to 5K range, or 60mph to 75mph. It's very rare that I have the bike up over 7K, especially after my first speeding ticket ever gotten last year. I was hoping to go out with a perfect driving record but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Don't worry, your not hurting anything. Have a happy 4th!

Alright good to know! Thanks!

I just did my first cleaning and lubing of the chain as well. I went and got Keroscene and some PJ1 Blue Label chain lube, and just did it in the driveway. I might be taking the bike out again tonight but at least the chain is warm from the ride I just came from and then it can sit a bit with the lube on there.

Was a lot faster than I thought it was gonna be!

I'm a 5k guy for most of the ride but when I'm working the corners, it's lower gears and up in the 8 - 10k range. Much better response up in that range.

Kinda like the op, is it bad on these engines to cruise in town at 2k...? Iv been in town alot riding at low rpms, but always wondered if I should be at more...

Kinda like the op, is it bad on these engines to cruise in town at 2k...? Iv been in town alot riding at low rpms, but always wondered if I should be at more...

I don't think you are going to hurt anything as long as you aren't "lugging" the engine, and you should be able to easily tell if you are. I honestly don't pay that much attention to it... if I need more acceleration or it feels like I'm lugging the engine I downshift. I would guess that a majority of the time when I'm just cruising around once I'm above 45mph I'm in 6th gear. if I am approaching a winding road (not that many of them around here) or I need to pass a vehicle, I downshift a gear or two.

Wow I would consider those very low rpm's. Not sure if it would hurt the motor but seems like not the best for it or your control. Try riding around closer to 4-5k and see if it helps you use less brakes and better throttle response.

I'm with FZ1inNY and me and my bike like it!

Back