Saddle Bag Question

I'm thinking about picking up a set of soft saddle bags for my FZ1. Can anyone suggest a set of saddle bags that allows room for a passenger and that the straps go under the passenger set? Any help is appreciated.

I have the CorTech bags and they work well but the straps go over the seat. You'll find that there is not a lot of room to run any but the thinnest straps to allow the seat to lock down. I have a mini-tailbag whose straps just barely fits under the seat.

I have the CorTech bags and they work well but the straps go over the seat. You'll find that there is not a lot of room to run any but the thinnest straps to allow the seat to lock down. I have a mini-tailbag whose straps just barely fits under the seat.

Thanks for your help. Can a passenger still ride on the back with the CorTech bags?

Yes but they would be sitting on one or both straps since those may need to go over the handrails. If you intend to use the tailbag then the answer is no because the tailbag sits on top of the passenger seat.

I haven't used the bags in a while so I don't remember the strap configuration and I take them on and off as a set; tailbag and side bags, so I don't loop the straps under the rails but over them.

Yes but they would be sitting on one or both straps since those may need to go over the handrails. If you intend to use the tailbag then the answer is no because the tailbag sits on top of the passenger seat.

I haven't used the bags in a while so I don't remember the strap configuration and I take them on and off as a set; tailbag and side bags, so I don't loop the straps under the rails but over them.

Thank you OldBiker :)

I got the same Cortech bags as a gift from a relative. They featured a connecting center piece that goes over the passenger seat. The distance between the two bags could be adjusted with the velcro center attachment. They had some small tie-down straps for the bags themselves.

But with all this, I never could get them to hang properly on my Gen. II, primarily due to the tapered shape of the rear tailpiece. They work best when hung over a straight seat with parallel sides. The bags would hang with the front more outboard than the rear, and at speed, they would try to sail outward and flop around. Also, the one on the right side was very close to the muffler. I concluded that I would need to build a frame to make these work well.

So what I did instead, is to sew the two bags together, side by side, and carry them on top of the passenger seat, and then use the tie-downs to hold them to the passenger grab rails. Works well.

My bike came with Wolfman Tank and Saddle bags, ad the one problem with them is the right hand side bag sits on the exhaust and the bottom is kinda melted some. It needs a heat shield of some sort before I ever use them, so they have been sitting in my garage for 2 years.

I love the Tank bag, it just barely fits my laptop and lunchbag, but it gets the job done.

I got the same Cortech bags as a gift from a relative. They featured a connecting center piece that goes over the passenger seat. The distance between the two bags could be adjusted with the velcro center attachment. They had some small tie-down straps for the bags themselves.

But with all this, I never could get them to hang properly on my Gen. II, primarily due to the tapered shape of the rear tailpiece. They work best when hung over a straight seat with parallel sides. The bags would hang with the front more outboard than the rear, and at speed, they would try to sail outward and flop around. Also, the one on the right side was very close to the muffler. I concluded that I would need to build a frame to make these work well.

So what I did instead, is to sew the two bags together, side by side, and carry them on top of the passenger seat, and then use the tie-downs to hold them to the passenger grab rails. Works well.
I had no issue with them angled to the rear. The one over the pipe has enough clearence as not to get hot. the whole set up is stable at highway sppeds and in the rain (I know this first hand). However, even sewn together doesn't help the op.

His best solution is to find a rack to fit the Gen II and hang the bags off that. Or get hard cases like GIVI. (About $1,000 new).

I use the Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebags - with a slight modification, I can strap them under the rear seat or under my Corbin Smuggler. A little pricy, but the removal guide bars keep them from hitting the exhaust or the tire.

Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ1, '06-'11, FZ8, '10-'12 - TwistedThrottle.com

DSC_0314_zps6dd990a3.jpg

Thank you! Most helpful. :tup:

Blaze Sport Saddlebags

I use the Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebags - with a slight modification, I can strap them under the rear seat or under my Corbin Smuggler. A little pricy, but the removal guide bars keep them from hitting the exhaust or the tire.

Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ1, '06-'11, FZ8, '10-'12 - TwistedThrottle.com

DSC_0314_zps6dd990a3.jpg

This set looks great. I like how the guides only hook up on the passenger peg mounts, not under the tail. I have some bag spreaders that don't work with my fender eliminator and it's a real pain to swap the fender every time I want to use the bags.

Are you using these with an after-market muffler? Do they have heat protection on the bottom? Do they click onto the mounts or are there straps that need to be tied to keep things secure?

I really liked my Cortech 2 side bags but they aren't large enough for what I needed. So I bit the bullit and bought GIVI V35 side cases and the PLXR mounts.

I am ready to sell my Cortech bags as the GIVIs are super.

Back