Sept. 2011 Trip to SC & then Some from Houston

My buddy and I are planning to take a long trip from Houston to Greenville, SC in mid to late September. We will be taking a southern route through New Orleans and Destin, Florida and then head north through Atlanta.

My sister lives in Greenville which is why Greenville is my primary destination. Greenville will be home base. Once there I would like to take day trips to Ashville, NC (Builtmoore Estate, and amazing views), The Tail of the Dragon and Cherahola(sp?) Skyway. That will be about all I can do since I need to have some quality time with family while I am there.

My qustions for all of you is:

1.) If you are somewhere along the way, would like to meet for breakfast, lunch or dinner? PM me if so. I would loved to meet you and maybe even take a slight detour to see some of your favorite local roads.

2.) Any restaurants we must try in your area?

3.) Are there any must see sights along the way? Anything I must have a photo of my bike in front of?

4.) Any scenic routes I should take instead of highway? Just keep in mind due to time constraints, highway will be much of my route.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in planning my trip. ;)

6628d1309097511-sept-2011-trip-sc-then-some-capture.jpg

Last edited:
When you get to the south end of the Dragon keep going until you hit the first modern looking gas station then turn right. Crank out the Skyway. PM Krispy on tour way there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm nowhere along that route :(

Looks like a fun trip though - I'm hoping to take something similar sometime in the relatively near future.

Sept. 2011 Trip to South Carolina

Brad:
Google maps says that it will take about 3 hours to get to the "Tail of The Dragon" from Greenville, but this sounds very optimistic to me. The roads in that entire area are full of curves, and it is hard to make good time. Definitely not Texas. And that is just getting to the area. You'll need to add more time to do the Dragon and also Cherohala Skyway. And there are so many great roads in the area that it would be a shame to miss out. I was there in May, and rode the area for 3 days and could have done lots more, but was limited in time.

You might want to plan your trip to make the Dragon, Cherohala, Moonshiner 28, Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Blueridge Parkway, etc. a stopover on the return route to Texas. I found it to be an absolutely wonderful place to ride.

Perhaps some locals can chime in, but I needed some rather warm clothing and winter gloves at times on the Cherohala Skyway the first week in May. Elevations are over 5,000 feet and it can be pretty cold. I have maps of the area, and can bring them on Sunday if you want.

Ok, my first tip for a stop along the way is from Pyrogenic. He recommended stopping by a unique Motorcycle Dealership in New Orleans.

The Transportation Revolution

It looks to be a very cool European bike shop. Might be the perfect place for my buddy Phil to get his first service on his Ducati Multistrada.

Brad:
Google maps says that it will take about 3 hours to get to the "Tail of The Dragon" from Greenville, but this sounds very optimistic to me. The roads in that entire area are full of curves, and it is hard to make good time. Definitely not Texas. And that is just getting to the area. You'll need to add more time to do the Dragon and also Cherohala Skyway. And there are so many great roads in the area that it would be a shame to miss out. I was there in May, and rode the area for 3 days and could have done lots more, but was limited in time.

You might want to plan your trip to make the Dragon, Cherohala, Moonshiner 28, Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Blueridge Parkway, etc. a stopover on the return route to Texas. I found it to be an absolutely wonderful place to ride.

Perhaps some locals can chime in, but I needed some rather warm clothing and winter gloves at times on the Cherohala Skyway the first week in May. Elevations are over 5,000 feet and it can be pretty cold. I have maps of the area, and can bring them on Sunday if you want.

I may just have to find a place to stay the night. :) Any offers for a place for two fat Texans to sleep over?

My buddy and I are planning to take a long trip from Houston to Greenville, SC in mid to late September. We will be taking a southern route through New Orleans and Destin, Florida and then head north through Atlanta.

My sister lives in Greenville which is why Greenville is my primary destination. Greenville will be home base. Once there I would like to take day trips to Ashville, NC (Builtmoore Estate, and amazing views), The Tail of the Dragon and Cherahola(sp?) Skyway. That will be about all I can do since I need to have some quality time with family while I am there.

My qustions for all of you is:

1.) If you are somewhere along the way, would like to meet for breakfast, lunch or dinner? PM me if so. I would loved to meet you and maybe even take a slight detour to see some of your favorite local roads.

2.) Any restaurants we must try in your area?

3.) Are there any must see sights along the way? Anything I must have a photo of my bike in front of?

4.) Any scenic routes I should take instead of highway? Just keep in mind due to time constraints, highway will be much of my route.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in planning my trip. ;)

6628d1309097511-sept-2011-trip-sc-then-some-capture.jpg

blue ridge parkway to grand father mtn they serve a good lunch at a fair price. the view is great. Maggie valley has a real good pancake house. mt pisgah has good food. must be there in the morning no lunch.

Last edited:
85 north of Atlanta is a raceway. Get in the HOV lane and hide there until it ends if you plan to run below 80, as usual try to avoid rush hour. There are some ways to get around the city if you don't but I think they take just as long as being stuck in traffic.

It's gonna take about 3 hours to get to the dragon from greenville and it's around 150 miles. Find HWY 28 and stay on it all the way to 129. 28 stays 28 once you cross the borders. If you do that you get good road almost all the way there. Planning a one day ride there towards the end of September may not be the best idea but there are plenty of places to stay so you can make it an overnight trip.

I live near clemson SC so if you want to meet up for a ride just let me know I can take you to a few areas in western sc and nc that I ride. If nothing else just a cold :icon_beer:

Hail what ever you do try and hit up the skyway. The dragon is fun, 28 is better but the skyway is the crown jewel as far as I am concerned. Hopefully they will be done paving the TN side by the time you get here. I would be more than happy to guide you thru some of my favorite roads.

Back