Shark Bluetooth Comms: Motorcycle Bluetooth Multi Interphone

Recently Cruzman and I upgraded our comms from Motocomm to bluetooth. In my ongoing quest to find the best value for my dollar, once again I eschewed the well known brands in favor of something less expensive. This time, I chose (with Cruzman's help) the Motorcycle Bluetooth Multi Interphone setup by Shark.

WebBikeWorld reviewed an older version of these under the AKE name. One I studied all of their reviews, I made my decision based on their comparison chart that showed all BT comms they tested were basically the same when it came to the most important things.

With that knowledge, I started shopping the value products. In the end, the MBT688IL won because of the Line in Audio and up to 6 rider capability. We got ours from GoodDeals18 after purchasing what we thought was the same product off of eBay but proved to be the MBT388IL without the Line in Audio. Cruzman sold that set to a friend then ordered our set. When he got them, he spent a lot of time getting familiar with them while I wished I could do the same. What he learned was they were basically the same as the 388IL as far as function and the Line In Audio is not quite ready for prime time. He had to send them back because both sets failed to charge.

Yesterday I finally got mine and we tested it on our ride around the Suches and Blairsville area in the North Georgia Mountains. Bike to Bike is spectacular. It is in VOX so when your channel is open, you hear whatever that person says along with the some of the background noise they have including the awesome sound of the Akrapovic on a Gen1 when it accelerates to pass! (I think I need another exhaust now, Cruzman didn't even hear my Yosh when I accelerated!) VOX also encourages whole conversations, unlike PTT which pares communication down to the necessary "Turn your *&^%$#@! signal off!" or "I gotta pee now!".

In VOX, Cruzman and I were just chatting on at one point about something that I don't even remember now. He got to hear me yelling at the traffic and cursing myself for my miserable lines. Since he had the units for weeks before I got them, he added the bluetooth transmitter (Like this one, but not that one) so that he could get audio from his MP3/GPS/Radar mix. He was also more familiar with the buttons so he could switch easily from comm to music while I struggled despairingly to shut the VOX off so Cruzman wouldn't hear my ranting.

It comes with the standard mounts, one plate that slides onto the helmet and one that sticks to the side. I started with the plate on but after having it knocked loose by my shoulder as I turned my head to do riding related stuff, I switched it to the stick on mount and had no more trouble. I could even push the buttons better and look forward to using it more so that I can do it without feeling around for the proper button.

The instructions are in "Chingrish" :eek5:. If you've ever purchased a product direct from China, you are familiar with that english dialect. It is difficult translate into English, even more the Southern USA English that I understand :laugh2:. However, after reading them several times I was able to understand the basic functions:
Press the button with the motorcycle on it for a long time and it will come on. Press it a little longer and it'll go into pairing mode. If you want to pair, make sure the all the other units are turned off before putting your unit in pairing mode then put the other unit in pairing mode and finally press the button (B, C, D, E) you want to mate it too. Once they are paired, lights will flash and it'll go into standby mode. Press the button for the comm you want to talk to and wait a few seconds before you speak. Press the button with the motorcycle on it to get to your music or turn the VOX off. If you want to answer the phone don't do anything, after a few seconds it'll connect the call. If you don't want to answer the phone, push the button with the motorcycle on it.​
It's all really easy!

Cruzman complained about the tone of the speakers but they sounded fine through my earplugged ears (he only wears earplugs in certain situations). I had to order a BT Transmitter for my mixed audio stuff (same as Cruzman's) so I don't know how my music will sound yet. The in Line Audio sucked. It was one ear or the other and the audio level was very low. I did listen to the Virgin Mobile radio on the way home and it didn't sound too bad. I think the headset can be replaced for a hifi one because they use a standard 3.5mm plug on the unit. I just have to find them!

Like the internet, once you go cordless you don't want to go back! Even if the line in (in line?) audio worked like it should, I'm not sure I'd want to use it. There's nothing like just getting off of the bike with the helmet and not having to unplug something. Even better to just say something and have it heard. I did miss the PTT button though so a remote option would be cool.

We paid less than $150 shipped for the set so I ain't gonna complain about that. I will complain about the Line In not working. If you're gonna buy a shark, and don't need to talk to 6 riders, buy the 388 instead and save the $15 to go toward your BT transmitter.

It comes with a usb charger and wall adapter so you can charge the unit. It should last around 7 to 10 hours. Fortunately, I have a (few) 12volt adapter so I can charge it on the bike if needed.

My Ratings:

The instructions are a 3 out of 5 because of the Chingrish. It's not the worst Chingrish I've ever read, but it ain't the best either.

Ease of Use is a solid 5 out of 5. Once you translate the Chingrish and understand the functions, it's very easy to use. I was able to work it after about 3 minutes of getting used to the buttons.

Install on the helmet is 4 out of 5. I'd give it 5 but for the trouble with my perf leather jacket interfering with my preferred slip on mount. A note here: while it was in the slip on mount, it got turned around and mounted upside down. The comms still performed very will with little interference.

The Comms are a definite 5 out of 5. We sounded like Ewan and Charly! :chat:

Line in Audio is 2 out of 5. Only 2 because it has the option but it doesn't work very well. The Blue Ant F4 interphone that this mimics doesn't have it neither do the older versions.

BT Audio is 5 out of 5. Sound was crisp and could be heard up around 80 mph (possibly higher but I didn't go faster).

Telephone (based on Cruzman's observations) is 5 out of 5. They can't tell your on your bike. FZ1_Vadar was so impressed, he got the 388!

Overall, I give this a 4 out of 5. This charges using the same port as the in line music so it can be finicky. Cruzman had to send back the first set he got because they wouldn't charge. Gooddeals18 is easy to deal with and haven't given him a hassle with returns/exchanges. If you want these for the inline audio feature, wait until they get the kinks out. The 688 is the first version with it and i suspect they need to get some of the manufacturing processes tightened up so the thing does what it's designed to do.

I know :needpics:, so:

DSCF4663.JPG

DSCF4662.JPG

I forgot to mention it's small. I didn't notice any extra wind noise from having it on the side of my helmet but I do have an inexpensive helmet where the focus is not on blocking wind noise.

Off topic a little, but wat is the sticker w the star of life on it? on topic, does the plug to speakers and mic rub on ur shoulder @ all? and can u disclose a price?

That sticker thing holds my medical info so if it's needed, my doctor's phone numbers, meds, emergency contact, etc is available.

the price is somewhere in the first post. I think when we got them they were around $150 delivered.

Yep to Cruzman's door! Both of the units are rider to rider capable.

I forgot, once I used the sticky mount, the cables don't rub on anything. I think if I didn't have the perf leather jacket I wouldn't have any issues with the slip on mount.

Back