Shorai vs. Ballistic Li-Ion Motorcycle Battery Comparison and Information

I think I'll stick to my good old "lead acid" battery for my bike. The fact is that I plug my bike on a tender every single day which keeps my battery topped off and fresh. The only time it's not plugged in is when I go down to the AMA races for two or three days. I can't see paying that kind of money for something that accomplishes the same thing as a battery half the price. Now if they really want to push this idea, they would need to bring the price down about 1/3 or more of the current price. That will probably happen in time as they gain acceptance and popularity.

I like the light weight of those Li-Ion batteries, but until their prices come down I can't imagine too many people will justify the additional expense for basically the same performance.

I like the light weight of those Li-Ion batteries, but until their prices come down I can't imagine too many people will justify the additional expense for basically the same performance.

Exactly. Even the battery that I had in the bike originally is still working. I changed it out for a new one only because I couldn't tell if it was the original one or not. I always had it on the tender daily. Once I got the new one I put the old one in a box and left it in the garage. A couple of weeks ago a buddy came into work asking about a battery for a Fazer that one of the contractors bought. I told him I had the exact battery and he whipped out some cash for me. I went home and brought it upstairs along with the tender just to give it a good charge. The light went "green" in about two minutes! I brought him the battery and it's still working great after all this time. If you plug them in, they definitely stay stronger longer.

Exactly. Even the battery that I had in the bike originally is still working. I changed it out for a new one only because I couldn't tell if it was the original one or not. I always had it on the tender daily. Once I got the new one I put the old one in a box and left it in the garage. A couple of weeks ago a buddy came into work asking about a battery for a Fazer that one of the contractors bought. I told him I had the exact battery and he whipped out some cash for me. I went home and brought it upstairs along with the tender just to give it a good charge. The light went "green" in about two minutes! I brought him the battery and it's still working great after all this time. If you plug them in, they definitely stay stronger longer.

Yea, nothing kills a lead acid battery quicker than letting it go flat. That's when the sulfation on the plates occurs and eventually it's wont accept a charge.

I read a European mag Performance Bikes. They did a write up on how to make you own Lithium Ion battery. Total cost was something like 125.00 when converted(currency). It was extremely light. Hopefully I can find it.

I read a European mag Performance Bikes. They did a write up on how to make you own Lithium Ion battery. Total cost was something like 125.00 when converted(currency). It was extremely light. Hopefully I can find it.

Yea, I remember reading that article at Barnes & Noble. I rarely purchase that magazine due to the high price, but often browse through it.

Ok, I have done all the research and read all the reviews I could on the Ballistic and Shorai lithium ion batteries. I would like to know if anyone here has actually tried one out or is currently using one. I am in the market for a new battery and I am seriously thinking about getting one of these. I was hoping to not be the guinea pig , but I am willing.

I have the Ballistic in my R6 track bike. I've had it for a little over the month. I bought it because that bike will sit a month or two without being used and I wanted to loose some more weight since it is a track bike.

So far the battery is been great. I fire the bike up from time to time and it cranks right over.

Check out the Ballistic web site, there's lots of good info about the battery.

I have the Ballistic in my R6 track bike. I've had it for a little over the month. I bought it because that bike will sit a month or two without being used and I wanted to loose some more weight since it is a track bike.

So far the battery is been great. I fire the bike up from time to time and it cranks right over.

Check out the Ballistic web site, there's lots of good info about the battery.

Yeah, I read it all, just wanted some reviews from people that have actually tried it out. Figure this site was the best bet for that.

Back