Smells like burned rubber ?

Hi,
Every time I ride, I feel the smell of burned rubber or burned oil. It's coming from the rear, somewhere between the shock and the exhaust, not the engine.
Clues anyone ? I have the OEM exhaust

It's pretty hard to detect where a smell is coming from on a bike unless it's parked and there's not any wind. Drive it for a bit, then park it in an area where the wind isn't moving the air around and then go looking for the smell. It's got to be somewhere that rubber or plastic is coming into contact with heat. Have you considered any part of the wiring? It's possible that a tire could be rubbing on something it's not supposed to be hitting.

It's pretty hard to detect where a smell is coming from on a bike unless it's parked and there's not any wind. Drive it for a bit, then park it in an area where the wind isn't moving the air around and then go looking for the smell. It's got to be somewhere that rubber or plastic is coming into contact with heat. Have you considered any part of the wiring? It's possible that a tire could be rubbing on something it's not supposed to be hitting.

Yepp, that's how I localized the smell first, I just need to do it again, and look for rubber/heat contact

The previous owner had the tennis ball launcher re-painted, and the dealer said it takes a while for that heat-resisting paint to "burn in". I almost believe that

As previously stated, check your banjo bolt that's connected to the rear caliper, when I bought my 01 I noticed it was EXTREMELY close to coming in contact with the sidewall of my tire. Don't know if it's supposed to be mounted that close or not, but I swiveled mine away just a bit.

Back