So, I watched my buddy crash :(

fazernoob66

Sunday April 7 my buddy crashed his cbr 954 right in front of me. He was new to sport bikes and this was his first Arkansas twisty trip. We kept telling him to calm down and be careful but inexperience bit him in the ass. He had been riding pretty well all day for a noob and wasn't too cocky. But, I guess the gap between him and the two leaders was too much for him. I was following behind him going a bit slower because I knew every single corner was delicate and unforgiving. As I came up to the corner I made my line and set up for it, next thing i knew he was leaned way too far into it, caught the peg and lost it. The bike shot across the corner into the guardrail and hit a post. He followed closely enough to be paddled down the road as the bike deflected off the guardrail, stopping his tumble about 40 feet away in the road. All this happen so fast I barely processed what had happened. I managed to make the corner and jump off the fz sprinting to him. He took a nasty impact but didn't get tangled up with the bike or hitting the guardrail. He was incredibly lucky!!! His leathers did their job but the hit left him trying hard to breath. I started talking to him and had to stop his reflex to roll around. He was conscious and breathing was difficult but he could talk and explain where the pain was. He had mid back pain. Aw man,,,, this may not be good,,,, him from moving, not a minute later people were stopped and frantically calling medics. A nurse happened to be in a vehicle and ran toward us. She poked at him for a while, he wasn't numb anywhere and was responsive. Shortly more nurses showed up, the ambulance came about 20 minutes after impact. He was airlifted to a regional hospital and is in good health and spirit now. I will get the injury details later I have yet to talk to him directly. It was a scary day. My group headed to jasper for lunch and a much needed break. As we rode back home through the accident corner it was eerie.

And of course, pics!

nyjy2ehu.jpg

agu2upem.jpg

He is laying in the group of people. That's how far he went.

eqy8ahyt.jpg

y4a3aqy2.jpg

e6adyhy3.jpg

any5y9e5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it wasn't any worse. This is not an uncommon thing to happen to inexperienced riders in a group. Have seen it myself twice before. Keep us posted...

go over body positioning with him. he shouldn't be touching pegs. at least he's ok. a buddy of mine did that a few years ago and didn't make it. guard rails are sketchy depending on where you hit them.

You know there is always this paradox this time of year. It is a glorious time to get out on two wheels a beautifull day. At the same time we get reports like these that bring us back to reality. After the off season even experience riders need time to reaquaint themselves with their machine. ...and you always have a whole new batch of new riders getting out there.

I love and hate this time of year. Local MC forums are fille with R.I.P. threads.

I talked to him a minute ago, he had surgery on his L2 and should make a full recovery in the next year. He doesn't remember anything due to a severe concussion but is ready to be back on his wheels riding more sensibly.

I talked to him a minute ago, he had surgery on his L2 and should make a full recovery in the next year. He doesn't remember anything due to a severe concussion but is ready to be back on his wheels riding more sensibly.

So glad to hear it. We will keep him in our thoughts and send good energy his way for healing!

I am glad the injury was not life threatening. Also glad he had such good friends along for the ride and got treatment so quickly.

Keep it rubber side down out there guys!

I am glad your friend will be OK. I was a on a group ride back on my 1992 Kawasaki Concours in 2008. I was following a younger rider on a Ninja 636. As we approched a chicane with a left followed by a right. I guess he was day dreaming, because he ran off the edge of the road, but only about 12 inches of the road surface. He rode the bike down the slight hill coming back onto the pavement at almost a 90 degree angle. This gave him dirty tires and 2 lanes widths of pavement to stop the bke before hitting the dirt wall. He tucked the front with the dirty tire and the bike slid across and tagged the wall bending the forks. Day over, but no injury.

So my friend had l2 back surgery for a compression fracture last week, he is recovering fine and expects a full recovery. He is excited to ride again, but his next bike will be a fz1! Be ready who welcome another member before too long

Glad he is going to be ok. That sucks.

My opinion has always been: Learn how to ride WHATEVER bike you're on first --well, then do group rides.

It doesn't matter if a 954, FZ1, 636, whatever. Learn it safely in different scenerios and then consider group riding. I've seen too many bad things happen when bikes get together and one is ridden poorly. Don't be that guy (or girl)!!

I can't believe I missed this thread. I've been too stuck in work the last week. Sorry he crashed, but so happy it wasn't worse for him. He is lucky he was wearing good gear. It should make him a better rider in the future, but it's a hard lesson.

He can watch "A Twist of the Wrist II" while he recovers. Best prayers and wishes to him and his family.

so sorry too to read/see this and I wish a ful recovery to your friend...danger always lurks when riding in group...before you know it you can get sucked in the 'i don't wanna show I' a nood rider' mentality. This is were maturity needs to come in to focus on your riding and not on trying to stay close.

The more experienced riders or need to adjust towards the less experienced riders, or before the ride make clear agreements about speed and waiting at crossroads when changing directions...

But yes fact he's scraping pegs on a fireblade is definitely sign he needs to work on his body position. He may also be putting too much weight on the inside peg, not allowing it to fold.

He'll definitely learn that on the FZ1 due to limited groundclearance on that bike

so sorry too to read/see this and I wish a ful recovery to your friend...danger always lurks when riding in group...before you know it you can get sucked in the 'i don't wanna show I' a nood rider' mentality. This is were maturity needs to come in to focus on your riding and not on trying to stay close.

The more experienced riders or need to adjust towards the less experienced riders, or before the ride make clear agreements about speed and waiting at crossroads when changing directions...

But yes fact he's scraping pegs on a fireblade is definitely sign he needs to work on his body position. He may also be putting too much weight on the inside peg, not allowing it to fold.

He'll definitely learn that on the FZ1 due to limited groundclearance on that bike

I scraped pegs/boards on both the Vacquero and Raider when I test rode them. I can't scrape pegs on the Fz1 for the life of me.

Back