So I went to a Harley demo day last Saturday...

She didnt like riding my Warrior so like a fool I sold it.still miss her she was a hell of a cruiser and she loved to beat up on Harleys!!!

One of my buddies has a warrior and we did a front sprocket swap, Velocity stacks (which sound wicked with the stock exahust on), power commander, and finally making a two into one sport exauhst. With all this its one hell of a monster and beats me off the line untill he has to change gear. Just a blast to ride and is really comfortable. Sorry to see that you sold it. That was probably a sad day.

My last bike

Last summer I sold my 2003 Softail Std. so I could buy my FZ-1. The softail was a great bike for riding around in a congested area like mine. It was a nice weekender/commuter for me (I live 1.5 miles from work). It's biggest problem was highway riding. The seating position was great for 40 mph but dreadful for 70 mph. The wind pulls your legs outward and kills your thighs and back. I rode it to the Jersey shore (90 miles) three times. Once with the stock seat and twice with a Corbin. The Corbin even had the rider backrest and it was still awful. As far as vibration goes it was not bad. I test rode a Dyna back then and it shook like crazy. The Softails had the balanced engine. The Dynas were non-balanced rubber mounted. The horn and air cleaner rubbed your legs the whole time. I will say this, for the 6k miles I rode it I never had a single problem with reliability.

I don´t agree with you all, but that´s my opinion. A HD don´t aim to be a sport bike, saying that a harley don´t run fast or don´t have hp is right but they are not suppost to... it´s like saying that a enduro bike don´t have top speed it´s not suppost to... I owned 3 HD and you can see one of them in one of my first posts, since then i had a night rod special and a fat boy lo, and they were fantastic, for what they are built for, cruising and styling, with an open helmet and sunglasses... Yes a prefer much better the FZ1 as an allrounder, brakes better,more confortable, goes faster,turns much better, but if i could i have them both.

By the way the Night rod special or V-Rod muscle will do 240+ kph, no problems and very,very fast, but fat boy with 96ci it´s hard to past 160kph

I agree they're not marketing a sportbike, they killed that division afterall, but my problem is they don't even want to build a safe motorcycle. The brakes are like wood, the frames flex like a noodle, the suspension is from JC Whitney, and the motors are pretty much toast after 30K if ridden hard. For the price tag they charge I'd expect a much better value.

When I owned my Buell the mechanic I worked with said that on an HD bike sale the margin is huge, on the 1125s they barely broke even. Look at the technology on an 1125R, the price is/was $11,500. Look at what $11,500 buys you in a Sportster, not mucy.

But I don't own one and never will. I'll take my $4,000 FZ1 any day!

Yes the suspension is crap but the brakes are getting better (ABS now), but still not enough. If you think they are expensive there try buying one in my country ( or in most Europe prices start at $13000, a new fatboy is $33000) they are super expensive for what your getting, and the parts are priced crazy, don´t know why. But i just liked them like i do old vespas also.
By the way all bikes in Portugal are expensive a new FZ1-S is $17000 don´t know in the US ?!?

Harleys

Well, I'll weigh in on this. I have owned a plethora (love that word) of motorcycles, including Harleys, Guzzi, BSA, BMW, two Triumphs, Laverda RGS1000, original 1977 900SS Desmo, Hondas, Suzuki, and some more. I had a '41 Knucklehead, a 1988 Sportster and a 2001 Superglide Sport. NONE of them ever let me down. They had their faults and their good points. I loved all of them. But then I also can enjoy riding a Honda Rebel if somebody loaned me one. I rode the Superglide Sport from Tallahassee to the West Coast, up to Vancouver and Banff, across much of Canada and back home along the East Coast to home when I retired in 2001. I never ride with a "pack" on any motorcycle and don't give a Damn whether anybody thinks I'm styling, stupid, slow or whatever label anybody wants to throw.

I get that somebody doesn't like a Harley. I get that some people thought my Laverda looked like A Kawasaki. I get that a lot of people don't like the lifestyle of some, but not all Harley riders. I have a BMW at present and, Hell, I don't even like a whole bunch of BMW riders. I just don't get patting myself on the back for liking or not liking anybody's choice until. I only get sore when some individual does some individual act that annoys me. I find it interesting and enjoyable to take people one at a time, along with their bikes.

Well, I'll weigh in on this. I have owned a plethora (love that word) of motorcycles, including Harleys, Guzzi, BSA, BMW, two Triumphs, Laverda RGS1000, original 1977 900SS Desmo, Hondas, Suzuki, and some more. I had a '41 Knucklehead, a 1988 Sportster and a 2001 Superglide Sport. NONE of them ever let me down. They had their faults and their good points. I loved all of them. But then I also can enjoy riding a Honda Rebel if somebody loaned me one. I rode the Superglide Sport from Tallahassee to the West Coast, up to Vancouver and Banff, across much of Canada and back home along the East Coast to home when I retired in 2001. I never ride with a "pack" on any motorcycle and don't give a Damn whether anybody thinks I'm styling, stupid, slow or whatever label anybody wants to throw.

I get that somebody doesn't like a Harley. I get that some people thought my Laverda looked like A Kawasaki. I get that a lot of people don't like the lifestyle of some, but not all Harley riders. I have a BMW at present and, Hell, I don't even like a whole bunch of BMW riders. I just don't get patting myself on the back for liking or not liking anybody's choice until. I only get sore when some individual does some individual act that annoys me. I find it interesting and enjoyable to take people one at a time, along with their bikes.

Interesting point. Allow me to retort:

Harleys Suck!

j/k

I went back in the Marine Reserves and am currently training in Camp Pendleton. One of my fellow officers wanted to go riding. He is a heavy duty Harley guy and since my FZ1 is back home in NC I decided to rent rent a Streetglide and cruise the San Diego and SoCal area. It was just like everyone said. No power, brakes were not good and it vibrates too much. But I still had a lot of fun. Beautiful riding and great weather. I would never get a Harley (I hate to say never) but there were 4 things I did like about the street glide.

1. The stereo. (I have got to be able to play tunes now). PLEASE give me input on how to rig my FZ1 to play tunes.
2. Cruise control.
3. Seat was comfy. I will change mine out when I get back home.
4. Last, the weight allowed it more stability when encountering wind.

Last edited:
Back