Solo Trip in September to Albuquerque, NM

Rained on me the entire time I was up in the mountains. Actually the only time it was bot raining was while I was eating at Big Daddy's.

Took 82 from Artesia all the way to Cloudcroft. Then 244 from Cloudcroft to Ruidoso and then 70 back to Roswell.

Sent from my iPhone

Someone foreshadowed my rainy trip through Lincoln Nation forest. At the point I took this photo I realized what I was in for. No clouds anywhere on the horizon for 360 degrees except straight ahead. Right here I was going. It was raining so hard I did not get any other photos the entire way through. I at least think I have some video that I can post when I get back to Houston.

View attachment 12022

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Someone foreshadowed my rainy trip through Lincoln Nation forest. At the point I took this photo I realized what I was in for. No clouds anywhere on the horizon for 360 degrees except straight ahead. Right here I was going. It was raining so hard I did not get any other photos the entire way through. I at east thik I have some video that I can post when I get back to Houston.

View attachment 12022

You should have saved this one for bike of month. great pic!!

Someone foreshadowed my rainy trip through Lincoln Nation forest. At the point I took this photo I realized what I was in for. No clouds anywhere on the horizon for 360 degrees except straight ahead. Right here I was going. It was raining so hard I did not get any other photos the entire way through. I at east thik I have some video that I can post when I get back to Houston.

View attachment 12022

Awesome shot Brad!!!
Maybe I have it on my mind but that road is just begging to twist the throttle.
Have you seen a lot of cops on the road?

Rained on me the entire time I was up in the mountains.

Oh no... BUMMER! Some of the best roads on your trip and you had to deal with the wet. :( I was really looking forward to some great mountain pics, too.

Nice Cavern shots - my grandparents were from Carlsbad so I've been through the "cave" probably 20-times. (My grandmother rode down in a mining bucket decades ago when they first opened the cave to the public.)

I also love the shot on the road. I remember getting all "tingly" knowing that straight road would soon turn twisty! Maybe you should blast back through there on your way home?? Best of luck on the rest of your ride! Mark

Sandia Peak

Here are a few more shots from Sandia Peak on my better camera. 10,640 foot altitude. I have a little video of the trip up that I will post when I get back to Houston. Shot with all the bikes was Abuquerque PD. Thay were on a training excercise. On the way down the coast in Neutral and do not touch their brake the whole way down. Can't even imagine that.

Last edited:
Jemez Mountains & Bandelier

Here are a few shots from the Jemez Mountains and Bandelier today. Also went to Los Alamos and Santa Fe but did nto bother taking photos. Video of Jemez when I get back.

560 miles today Cannonball Run style. Never doing that again!

Gonna meet Carl (ThePopularJock) for breakfast in the morning here in Brownwood.

Awesome trip I hope to be able to do something similar some day. Thanks for the updates and sharing your photos. Ride safe and looking forward to see more.

Finally Home

I am back home safe and sound. I did a Marathon run yesterday from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Brownwood, Texas totaling 560 miles. I'll never do that again. Got to have breakfast with Carl (ThePopularJock) this morning which was great. He is such a nice guy. It was a short 260 miles today to finish the trip and get home.

Total Miles: 2232.9

Things I am glad I took with me:
  • Touring Windscreen - Slight tuck and no wind and very quiet.
  • Cramp Buster - Could not have done this trip without it.
  • Ibuprofen - Plenty of aches and pains during this trip. Start poping pills after 4 hours in the saddle or so.
  • Chain Cleaner and Lube - Cleaned and lubed on the side of the road twice. Just used red shop towels rather than scrub brush. Did a proper cleaning at my dadas place.
  • Preparation H - It soothes the burn!
  • Tools - I had to take the tank off. When I left Bandolier National Monumnet my speedo was reading ZERO no matter what. I have seen it do this for a split second but not as long as it did. In Los Alamos I took my tank off and checked all the connections to my Speedo Healer. Everything looked good so I started to look for a motorcycle service shop in Santa Fe. By the time I got down out of the Mountains (46.9) miles later it suddenly dtarted working. Not sure if it was teh altitude or the cold.
  • Ziplock Baggies - Kept all my electronics and wallet dry when I needed.
  • Sena SMH5 - In combination with my iPhone and GPS software I always knew where I was and where I was going and even with my tunes. BTW - I could hear my wife just fine on the phone even at 70mph.
  • Tennis Shoes - There is plenty to walk around and do at most of my stops. SIDI boots are great on a bike but blister factories when walking around. I never would have done Carlsbad Caverns in MC boots.
  • Rain Suit - I only needed it one day but I am sure glad I had it.
  • Clothes Wahing Detergent - Washed a few garments at night to get the funk out.

Things I wish I had with me:
  • Friends - That is the only thing that would have made this better
  • WiFi Hotspot - Cheap Motels do not always have reliable internet. Of course even a mobile hot spot would not have worked most of the places I went.
  • Bigger Gas Tank - Would it really be that hard for Yamaha to find room for at least one more gallon? Jeez! I felt like I spent more time at gas stations that I did driving! ;)

I plan to do this again next year. Only difference will be working in the Twisted Sisters on the way out.

Last edited:
Back