Spencer's seat mod

hey i just bought a 2010 fz1 and love everything but the seat. does anyone have any experience with a spencer modded seat? if so did it keep you from sliding toward the tank? and how much of an improvement is it over stock?

hey i just bought a 2010 fz1 and love everything but the seat. does anyone have any experience with a spencer modded seat? if so did it keep you from sliding toward the tank? and how much of an improvement is it over stock?

No experience but with Spencer, you get to have the seat your way. When you talk to him about changing it, you ask for a non-slip cover material and ask for the seat horn raised and the seat pan leveled. ;) Once you explain non-slip and no sliding forward, he'll understand.

I'll be curious to know what he does and how you like it afterward. Do you have a spare? It can take about a week once you agree on the send date.

I have a Spencer modded 08 and it's a huge improvement over the stocker. Yes, it keeps you from sliding into the tank in the normal riding position. You can still easily slide forward onto the tank if you need to. I can easily shift on the seat when I'm in the twisties.

Funny this thread came up, I just took my seat to an upholstery shop today to have them pad the front of it towards the middle to stop me from sliding forward. It will be done in a few days and I will report if i like what he did with it. Cost $40.

no i don't have a spare. i just bought the bike three days ago and already have 300 miles on it and noticed that the first mod will be a better seat. i will probably wait until winter since i am having way too much fun riding it and i don't think i could part with it for a full week. the spencer mod seems like the best bang for the buck. i know that the stock seat will break in but i just don't like the position that it puts you in. thanks for the replies

eaglefrq, did you do the "LD" upgrade? and did you get the passenger seat done also? if so how big of an improvement is the passenger seat?

Yes, I did the LD upgrade. I didn't do the passenger seat because my wife doesn't ride. I know what you mean about waiting. I actually bought another rider seat so I could keep riding until mine came back. Now I have a spare sitting in my garage in case I ever need it.

Well i just finally got my seat back from the local upholstery shop (2weeks) man let me tell you it's was my best spent $40 just to pad the fwd half of the seat to make it more leveled when it's installed on the bike. No more sliding forward everytime i hit a bump.

Ha-Ha who needs a spencer's seat mod j/k. Obviously someone does, just not me :nono:

I just got my seat back from Spencer and it is better. I have only ridden through one tank of gas and he said that it would take 2 or 3 to break in. Still not good enough but hopefully it breaks in nicely. Will update after more riding.

the lack of comfort on on this bike has me thinking of other options after 9,000 miles. I love the power, look, & versatility but the wind, seat & riding position is no good for touring.

I have had my Spencer seat on for a year now and it is leaps and bounds better than stock although I still cant do more than about 300 miles a day on it.I have tried Yammi gel and Sargeant and hated them both.Still trying decide if I want to try a Corbin had 2 Corbins on my Warrior and loved them

Spencer's will be getting my business very soon I think (as soon as funds recover from other purchases).
It should be noted that he does not supply seat covers, but is willing to install one if you send it to him.
A totally custom seat for less than a Yami gel? That's what's up...

I bought the Yamaha gel when I had my FZ on the first go-around. It's not much better than a stock seat but a little better. I have done many 400 mile days while touring and for the most part, after a 400 mile day I'm glad to get the hell off the bike. Now, I'm 5'6" and about 150 lbs and my 61 year old leathery ass can put up with a lot of abuse. Only a couple cruisers I've had fit me well enough to do 600 or so miles in a day befor fatigue finally got the best of me. I'm sure there is an answer for some of you out there but one of my biggest problems is a 29" inseam so if much padding is added I'm then reaching for the ground on tip-toe. I've just plain come to the conslusion that I'll die with a rear end that looks like a baboon in heat if I keep riding and that's my plan.

I'm sure there is an answer for some of you out there but one of my biggest problems is a 29" inseam so if much padding is added I'm then reaching for the ground on tip-toe. I've just plain come to the conslusion that I'll die with a rear end that looks like a baboon in heat if I keep riding and that's my plan.

I've emailed Spencer, and while he can't necessarily lower the seat, he doesn't necessarily raise it either. Comfort is achieved by reshaping and inserting a honeycomb material that's supposed to be superior to gel.
Maybe he could get your baboon butt to at least not look like it's in heat! Lol

I just got my seat back from Spencer and it is better. I have only ridden through one tank of gas and he said that it would take 2 or 3 to break in. Still not good enough but hopefully it breaks in nicely. Will update after more riding.

the lack of comfort on on this bike has me thinking of other options after 9,000 miles. I love the power, look, & versatility but the wind, seat & riding position is no good for touring.

Ok, after breaking in the seat it is much better. It did take 3 tanks of gas to break in but now it is very good. can ride all day long with very little discomfort.

although I did ride a zx14 and OMG what a bike. BUT my wrists were hurting after 20 min.

Back