Stock Speedo

ok guys I searched and nothing to my liking.

Everything stock. 2009 FZ1

Showing as much as 6 mph faster against my GPS, which shows to be correct as 2 other cars I have. I had this feeling when doing 65 mph legal limit here and I was getting passed like no other. So tonight I took out the bike in a few different gears. Now If one where to go a lil faster then the suggested speedlimit is was off as much as 9 mph. This is all stock... Hmmmm I have to buy a speedo healer to correct the stock settings.... Anyone else has this problem? :flash:

All motorcycle speedos are off and most are 5+% off. The SpeedoDRD unit took a -5.6% correction to get the stock speedo corrected and with the 16T front, I am not at -10.9% corrected and still +2 mph off at 70 mph.

The other issue with bikes is that tires can vastly change the percentage as well. So many tires available with a lot of different profiles...

The other issue with bikes is that tires can vastly change the percentage as well. So many tires available with a lot of different profiles...

That's the main reason that they are made to read higher than actual from the factory. They (manufactures) want to account for the different tire profiles as well as tire wear. Better for it to be too fast than too slow!

^ And yet everyone thinks that Yamaha fcked by by making a shitty speedo. No one ever thought that MaYbe, engineers had some insight on this potential issue. Sure I would like to have mine spot on, however I won't invest in anything to fix it as long as it remains lower than indicated, no issues with cops.

^ And yet everyone thinks that Yamaha fcked by by making a shitty speedo. No one ever thought that MaYbe, engineers had some insight on this potential issue. Sure I would like to have mine spot on, however I won't invest in anything to fix it as long as it remains lower than indicated, no issues with cops.

I agree...with the stock gearing iut's not that much of an issue. However, once you change gearing something like the SpeedDRD is a nice investment. After I calibrated mine it still reads about 1-2 MPH over actual, but I left it alone.

I agree...with the stock gearing iut's not that much of an issue. However, once you change gearing something like the SpeedDRD is a nice investment. After I calibrated mine it still reads about 1-2 MPH over actual, but I left it alone.

Exactly the same for me as Tony. I did not mind it being off while stock and have known this for every bike I've owned... we have a buffer zone. However, being almost 11% off with the 16T front warranted a change. I don't have time to recalculate in my head. I suppose I could have just always driven with the GPS and relied on it instead....

Yup, 2 Yamahammers and a Sosucki all brand new, and all "optimistic" about how fast they really move.

I wonder how much is by design, and how much is marketing...

I won't invest in anything to fix it as long as it remains lower than indicated, no issues with cops.

Unless you care about your odometer. I have an indicated 45K, which means that with it being 10% off, I only have 40K actual miles.

That's the main reason that they are made to read higher than actual from the factory. They (manufactures) want to account for the different tire profiles as well as tire wear. Better for it to be too fast than too slow!

What he said:thewave:

Speedo on a bike is off by 2-10% on average by factory design. Variability is due to tire size, chain and sprocket changes/wear, etc. Cop asked me when he was giving my ticket if I knew how fast I was going, and I told him I had no idea, my speed is off by 2-10%, he was a bike cop, he was not amused. :disapproval:

After talking to the local dealers here, the law here in Australia is that a vehicle can't be sold from the showroom unless it reads less than 10% +/- 1% of the actual speed travelled. So all our modern vehicles sold read low. A speedo healer is the answer.

After talking to the local dealers here, the law here in Australia is that a vehicle can't be sold from the showroom unless it reads less than 10% +/- 1% of the actual speed travelled. So all our modern vehicles sold read low. A speedo healer is the answer.

Someone pointed out to me that a speedohealer if it corrects the speed, then it will throw off the odometer.

Don't think it is only Yamaha, or Japanese bikes. My KTM is the same way, out by 4% (on the plus side). checked against my GPS which I run most of the time. There are many different tires out there and I have run a few different profiles (always knobbies, but of different brands) which has changed the % of speedometer error slightly, but always on the plus side. With mine it (speedometer) reads off the ABS ring on the front wheel.

I've GPS-verified my last five bikes and they all read speed between 8-11% high while the odometer was within 1%. This is quite obviously intentional as they are easily capable of making a speedometer accurate as they do in modem cars

Don't think it is only Yamaha, or Japanese bikes. My KTM is the same way, out by 4% (on the plus side). checked against my GPS which I run most of the time. There are many different tires out there and I have run a few different profiles (always knobbies, but of different brands) which has changed the % of speedometer error slightly, but always on the plus side. With mine it (speedometer) reads off the ABS ring on the front wheel.

My last bike was a BMW F650GS and it was off by about that same amount.

Back