Street Fighter; What Is One ?

A true street fighter is a faired sports bike (e.g R1) , that has been customized by having all or most of its fairings removed or replaced with alternative pieces . the clip on bars removed & replaced with 80's styled superbike bars , a factory naked is not a true street fighter in most die hard fans opinions . but the FZ1N is as close to the real deal as one can get from a factory production bike , i for one havent a problem riding a factory street fighter & dont care to make one myself from a stripped down R1..

IMO the street fighter is the new custom motorcycle , cruisers surely have their place . but IMO factory street fighters & home made versions are the new customs . street fighters originally come from guys / gals that stacked their plastic fantastic "faired" sports bike & instead of reparing it back to original spec , stripped it down & rebuilt it on the cheap . the trend taken a life of its own & now factory street fighters are big $$ to motorcycle companys , did i mention riding NAKED is super :cool:

A true street fighter is a faired sports bike (e.g R1)

Might be in aus but not here - true fighters are bikes modded and improved with other bits or custom bits made to in hance performance or look

eg My mille

152paaw.jpg

turned into a tuono carbon

i1y79k.jpg

but i didnt like the seat so grafted on a gsxr1000k7 one

vyqn35.jpg

this is how we do it here non of this pull the fairings of and set renthals and twin headlights

mind you the germans have a way outside the box view on streetfighters:D

it's funny. the american press gave kawasaki so much grief over the tailpipes of the z1000... but everyone digs on the look of the shotgun exhaust cans - myself included!

nice bike!

When the Z1000 came out I liked it alot, no mods, perfect like it was, other than the lame fork configuration of unequal damping and springs and such. But I thought it was tits. just stock, me (US) so the press can't be trusted with our 'real' observations, they had agendas. I still to this day adore the early Z1000's.

Yeah, I noticed that the euro fighters like the belly plastic. They are much more street smart compared to us, which is why the FZ1/6 are so popular, along with the many other non plastic bikes.

I think any serious sport rider that RIDES A LOT, knows the true value of the fighters: they do it all, and can do it everyday, 200 miles per day, without straining the rider.

btw, FZ1 is an outta the box fighter. Nothing less. Not a ratter, not a tour bike, not a cruiser, not a geezer bike, just a street fighter.

StreetFighter. To me that is kind of a subjective term. Wikepedia defines it this way "A streetfighter is a superbike that is customized by removing the fairing, and making other changes that result in an overall more aggressive look."

To me, Street Fighter should mean any bike that is well suited to raising hell on public roads. This of course doesn't really tell you anything because it all depends on the kind of hell you like to raise and the roads we are talking about. A nitro burning V-Rod or a 'Busa with a stretched swingarm can be a streetfighter if your thing is drag racing stop light to stoplight (this is an illegal activity and I KNOW nobody around this board has ever behaved in such a manner). If wheelies, stoppies, powerslides, etc. are your thing, then the Wikepedia defenition fits good but so does a Supermoto bike and many others. (Again,this is an illegal activity and I KNOW nobody around this board has ever behaved in such a manner). If draggin a knee on a two lane backroad does it for you, Wikipedia's definition is fine but a stock superbike works just as well. (Illegal, don't do it.) If you like to "back it in" on one lane backroads, the Wikepedia bike might work, but beware the Supermoto. (Honest officer, I didn't know that turn was that sharp or I would have been going much slower.)

Conclusion: When people started tearing up their crotch rocket plastic and didn't have the money or didn't want to spend it, they did the cheapest thing they could to get the bike back on the road, i.e. a set of motorcross handlebars and a couple of fog lights from PepBoys. Hey, it looks legal (and in some states it is). After enough people had done this somebody decided that they should give this new look a name and "StreetFighter" appears to be what the world has settled on. While I absolutely love the look, I don't like the name because it could mean so many things. Then again, everybike has to have a catagory (don't ask me why) and every catagory has to have a name. StreetFighter works. Besides, "stripped crotch rocket with funny looking lights" doesn't roll off the tongue and "Stripper" is already taken.

Roy

Street fighter is not a rat bike. Some rat bikes look great enough to be street fighters, though. Some Harley's are fighters, (not many, though).

Street fighters are used by riders that read the road, able to predict what cagers may do, and adjust their riding accordingly. These riders are dialed into their bikes, but know that certain road/weather factors may cause problems. He adjusts accordingly.

Cagers don't mind being around fighters.

Opposite of a rider on a fighter is the newb squid. Cagers hate squids, as they don't know what they are going to do, and sense the rider's disrespect for themselves and others.

Squids ride as if they are in a cage, and disrespect cagers by failing to understand that cagers have trouble seeing him, yet he feels invincible because 'he has the law on his side,' even when he doesn't.

Watch a fighter crash, and the first thing he does, if able to walk, is figure out how to ride the bike home.

Watch a squid, a newb, or a girly crash, and they will abandon the bike, even when able to ride and accept the bus ride home.

Street fighter riders come in all ages. Some are mega old, some are 16 years old.

I think it's about being born with character and soul. Either it's in ya or not.

Street fighter is not a rat bike. Some rat bikes look great enough to be street fighters, though. Some Harley's are fighters, (not many, though).

Street fighters are used by riders that read the road, able to predict what cagers may do, and adjust their riding accordingly. These riders are dialed into their bikes, but know that certain road/weather factors may cause problems. He adjusts accordingly.

Cagers don't mind being around fighters.

Opposite of a rider on a fighter is the newb squid. Cagers hate squids, as they don't know what they are going to do, and sense the rider's disrespect for themselves and others.

Squids ride as if they are in a cage, and disrespect cagers by failing to understand that cagers have trouble seeing him, yet he feels invincible because 'he has the law on his side,' even when he doesn't.

Watch a fighter crash, and the first thing he does, if able to walk, is figure out how to ride the bike home.

Watch a squid, a newb, or a girly crash, and they will abandon the bike, even when able to ride and accept the bus ride home.

Street fighter riders come in all ages. Some are mega old, some are 16 years old.

I think it's about being born with character and soul. Either it's in ya or not.

There are so many generalizations here I don't know where to start.

I have seen street fighters ridden by completely competent riders and also by people who saw a "awesome" bike and just had to have it.

From what I have seen, cagers are like riders, some good some bad. Some pay attention to their surrounding and take what they are doing seriously some don't.

Many of the statements you made could be applied to any different type of riders or drivers.

Just my opinion.

Stereotypes and Heros

Sterotypes are best presented with two speakers.
It would seem that Scout sees himself as a "Streetfighter" and if that makes him a more attentive responsible rider than "More power to him". We all pull on the mask sometimes and if that mask is of the Superhero right on. When I don my suit of armour and mount my steed I am totally into the part, My full attention is on the ride and all aspects of it. I was once asked about the scenery along a particularily nice piece of road and I answered "Hell if I know". I wasn't looking at the scenery as it had no bearing on the task at hand.
On the other hand I don't judge other drivers as long as they don't affect me or my mission at the time. It would come in handy to be psychic, knowing what other drivers and riders are thinking all the time, but I'm glad my wife's not.... :eyebrow:

Last edited:
:poke:
Sterotypes are best presented with two speakers.
It would seem that Scout sees himself as a "Streetfighter" and if that makes him a more attentive responsible rider than "More power to him". We all pull on the mask sometimes and if that mask is of the Superhero right on. When I don my suit of armour and mount my steed I am totally into the part, My full attention is on the ride and all aspects of it. I was once asked about the scenery along a particularily nice piece of road and I answered "Hell if I know". I wasn't looking at the scenery as it had no bearing on the task at hand.
On the other hand I don't judge other drivers as long as they don't affect me or my mission at the time. It would come in handy to be psychic, knowing what other drivers and riders are thinking all the time, but I'm glad my wife's not.... :eyebrow:

I am glad my wife doesn't know what I am thinking... otherwise I would be in trouble all the time!

Back