Summer leather vs codura mesh jackets

3B43

Any opinions of 'summer' jackets, leather vs codura? I'm in the market for a summer jacket and am wondering how perforated leather stacks up against the mesh codura/nylon jackets for 'coolness' . . . . and I do NOT mean looks!

I have a Tourmaster Intake 2 and a Coaster 2 (love the Tourmaster gear) and by far, the mesh jacket is cooler. The leather breathes notably, but for hot weather, it is too much.

Also a mesh user here. I prefer mesh for two reasons. The air blows right through and it keeps the sun off my skin, thus I am cooler all around.

It still gets hot at a stop light, you still will sweat but at least when you take off, the wind blows through, dries the sweat and cools you very fast.

My motto to all the non-atgatt riders is "I'd rather sweat than bleed!"

Also a mesh user here. I prefer mesh for two reasons. The air blows right through and it keeps the sun off my skin, thus I am cooler all around.

It still gets hot at a stop light, you still will sweat but at least when you take off, the wind blows through, dries the sweat and cools you very fast.

My motto to all the non-atgatt riders is "I'd rather sweat than bleed!"

I was wearing my mesh gear into a grocery store last year, it was boiling hot outside. Kid behind the counter says "looks hot". I told him it "beats the alternatives". In my mesh jacket, I thought I was doing pretty good. Guess I still looked uncomfortable.

But, I'll never take my gear off.

Last edited:
Appreciate guys. My 3200 mile trip last month, I did NOT have a mesh jacket and COOKED on two days (Hell's Canyon is HOT/HOT/HOT!!!!) and my regular Tour Master was HOT . . . . so a mesh jacket is next.

I've been wearing my Fieldsheer Flex Leather perfrorated jacket during the southeast heat wave and as long as I'm moving I'm happy. When it gets really hot, I wet my shirt for relieve and I always keep a water bladder with cold water in the tank bag that helps.

I love that jacket over my old Joe Rocket because I feel invincible. I had a little get off last month and the jacket doesn't even look like it. Up until then, I was wondering if I wanted to get mesh for those hot days but not any more.

That jacket is molded to my body and fits great, even more now after all the hot weather. I've decided to spend the money I would have spent to get another mesh jacket on sport boots.

Appreciate guys. My 3200 mile trip last month, I did NOT have a mesh jacket and COOKED on two days (Hell's Canyon is HOT/HOT/HOT!!!!) and my regular Tour Master was HOT . . . . so a mesh jacket is next.

This years purchase was a pair of Joe Rocket mesh overpants. Not as nice as my First Gear insulated overpants, but they'll do the job. Same deal, I'd recommend these as well. Help me protect my work clothes from the bike and protect me from a fall. :)

Another vote for a mesh jacket. I have the Firstgear Mesh-Tex jacket and pants and they are great. I also have a Vent Tech leather jacket that has mesh under the arms and in the chest area, but it gets very hot when you get caught in stop and go traffic. The mesh gets hot as well in that situation, but I have found that it cools you down much faster once you get moving again.

I had a Vanson mesh with shoulder and elbow armor when I crashed my BMW. The jacket definitely saved my bacon and was shredded. I now have an Icon ARC mesh and like it very well. It's a bit cheaper than some of the others but still flows well and feels very sustantial. It has heavy leather across the shoulders and down the arms with nylon (?) in front and back. It also has shoulder and elbow armor with a back protector.

i have heard that over 40 mph the mesh/textile jacket wont hold up to the road rash, and perf. leather was the way to go.....:blahblah:
i have an A* and an Icon mesh jacket and both a good as long as you are movin, and it beats a june bug/grasshopper/dragonfy to the chest at 65+....

I use a Tourmaster mesh that can be converted into an all weather jacket by putting on the outer shell textile. Needless to say the shell stays off during summer heat...

Back