Switching 4 Wheels For 2 Tomorrow!

Maybe thats what happend to the Harley rider in front of me yesterday and tried to correct by doing a stoppy? lol Doubt it.

Either way he didnt fair as well as you we had to pick his pig up.

Sux your day was lengthened by a shortend ride. But glad you handled it to a stop. I almost feel responsable. Friends dont let friends ride Harley's.lol

I hate to say it but you need a Yamaha!!!!!!!!!!:doh2:

So now I spent 20 bucks to fill the tank, 10 bucks to the driver of the flatbed, and probably 240 bucks for a new back tire for my friend's bike. So a simple ride on a Harley cost me 270 bucks! NICE!! I won't be ever riding again unless the name on the title is MINE!!!:doh2:

Wow, glad your ok...after reading all of this, call it Karma if you want, but you may have really saved your friends ass Big Time. Thanks for sharing.:+1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there Billy. Sorry to hear your story but glad you came out without a scratch.

I have progressive too. I didn't know they won't pick up from a highway. That really sucks. I imagine they do it for cars.

Steve

Wow! Now was it that you ran over something, or just a failure with the tire itself??

A nail. I watched the computer monitor warn me as the pressure was inching lower. Stopped and saw the nail and figured I could get home as I was close. No go. The nail flew out a nd bammo, flat.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you are very fortunate you saved that bike and were being cautious.

I am not sure why you owe him anything for the tire. He put your life in danger by lending you a faulty bike.

Just glad you are safe.

Billy, had you done a pre-ride maint check? Tire pressures included? ;) Being an unfamiliar bike, that would have been my very first choice.

Billy, had you done a pre-ride maint check? Tire pressures included? ;) Being an unfamiliar bike, that would have been my very first choice.

Yes, the first thing I did was check for pressure. The front was a little low and the rear was just right. I don't know if a tire that is 4 years old with 1,900 miles on it, which was garage kept, could possibly have dry rotted???
I really don't believe that I ran over any debris on the road. I am really observant when riding. There is quite a bit tear in the sidewall on the clutch side of the bike. I won't know better until I remove the wheel.

Glad to hear that you didn't have a get-off (not quite), and that really sucks to have such an expensive "free ride" day. Good for you for figuring out how to get around, or make the goofy insurance coverage work for you, after a bit of hill climbing.:deal:

Yes, the first thing I did was check for pressure. The front was a little low and the rear was just right. I don't know if a tire that is 4 years old with 1,900 miles on it, which was garage kept, could possibly have dry rotted???
I really don't believe that I ran over any debris on the road. I am really observant when riding. There is quite a bit tear in the sidewall on the clutch side of the bike. I won't know better until I remove the wheel.

Billy glad to hear you were able to "save" it and not end up with a bigger mess. I really doubt that the tire would have dry rotted to the point of failure when kept in that environment.

I know you didn't see any debris, but only logical explanation is that you ran over something that punctured the tire.

Billy glad to hear you were able to "save" it and not end up with a bigger mess. I really doubt that the tire would have dry rotted to the point of failure when kept in that environment.

I know you didn't see any debris, but only logical explanation is that you ran over something that punctured the tire.

That's probably what happened. It might have been something that was kicked up and got the sidewall because when my buddy arrived he had a plug kit with a compressor but when we rolled the bike forward, we didn't see anything in the tread of the tire to plug. The only hole is in the sidewall on the clutch side of the tire. I'll know better when we get it off the bike. Regardless, I'm going to pick up an Avon Cobra 200/55R-17 instead of the crappy Dunlop that came with the bike. So far Jake Wilson has the best price at $185.00 dollars shipped I believe. I just ran through it quickly at work so I have to see if there is any shipping involved.

I saw your video on YouTube before I saw the post here. I'm very glad you are OK. I've never had a flat tire on a bike, and hope I never do. *knock on wood* Just throw a car tire on there, those things don't lean anyway. :justkidding:

I hope you are able to get a bike of your own again soon, one from Japan or Europe. I guess the experience will make you a better rider, not that anyone wants that experience. :shaking head: :2cents:

Update On Fatboy

I ran over to my friend's house today as we finally had our schedules match, to remove the wheel and clean up under the tail section.

His pump-lift was a great asset in removing the wheel.
IMG_2474.jpg

After removing all the "chrome" gadgets I was finally able to reach the axle bolt!
IMG_2475.jpg

There are three spacers in the rear of the Fatboy which are all different sizes so I had to snap pictures for when it comes time to reinstall, cause as you all know, Harley riders DO NOT have any manuals! It's against their creedo!
IMG_2476.jpg

Once I removed the wheel, you can immediately see two large holes in the sidewall but I wasn't sure that they were just from rubbing after the tire went down.
IMG_2482.jpg

Upon further inspection we found the culprit. A large "scapel like" slit in the meat of the tire. This had to be something in the roadway that I didn't see.
IMG_2478.jpg

After "dirt tracking" it up the hill, it had accumilated a ton of muck.
IMG_2479.jpg

This was just some of the debris that was pulled out from underneath the hog.
IMG_2480.jpg

I didn't want to start trying to get the tire off as I didn't have any spoons. I guess I'll wait for the new Avon to arrive.
IMG_2484.jpg

My buddy blew out all or most of the crud from the tail and sprayed some polish. It looked nice and clean now so we pushed it back in the corner and left it on the jack until we get the new tire mounted and put back on the bike.
IMG_2483.jpg

So, the new tire will cost me $185.00 dollars from Jake Wilson which is not too bad. I may just mount it myself using one of our members techniques. (I can't remember his name offhand). The one using the cable ties strapped all around the new tire, then pushed on with your knees. I'll take some video to post if it works so others can see. Until then..........

Thanks Gary. I had to actually break out the "standard" tools today! No metric bolts here!!!

Hey, ASE tools need to be loved too ! heh,heh,
Btw, Not to high jack this thread, but if the sidewall of the blown tire has Harley Davidson molded in, these factory issue tires have a history of premature failure! I know of several of my HD friends that have had flats and failures in the last 2 to 3 years ! ALL of them had a 3" slit in the tire and all of them were adjusted (for price) when brought in for replacement. There is much more info on this problem on the web. Just thought you should know of this. I am seriously glad you are not putting another HD-Dunlop back on his FatBoy. :cheers:

Hey, ASE tools need to be loved too ! heh,heh,
Btw, Not to high jack this thread, but if the sidewall of the blown tire has Harley Davidson molded in, these factory issue tires have a history of premature failure! I know of several of my HD friends that have had flats and failures in the last 2 to 3 years ! ALL of them had a 3" slit in the tire and all of them were adjusted (for price) when brought in for replacement. There is much more info on this problem on the web. Just thought you should know of this. I am seriously glad you are not putting another HD-Dunlop back on his FatBoy. :cheers:

Wow Gary! That's good to know. I'll have to mention that to my buddy at work tomorrow. Not to mention that the slit I found is actually 3" in length as well. That's a strange coincidence if you ask me.

Sorry to hear about your near-death ride on a hog Billy! I must have been hiding in a phone box somewhere to miss this thread!
So glad to read you survived it the way you did too! It just goes to prove that you can't knock a good New Yorker down without a fight!!!
Um, did I miss something else too, did I read that your gen 1 FZ is gone????

Back