Switching 4 Wheels For 2 Tomorrow!

It's been a few weeks now that the FZ1 has been gone and I can't lie that I haven't been feeling the urge to ride so tomorrow I'll be heading over to the "Dark Side" for a ride up to Bear Mountain and Harriman for a while on my buddies 08' Fatboy. Yes, I know, I said Fatboy. So I'm dusting off my "Bandana", "Fingerless Gloves", "Black Leather Jacket", "Blue Jeans", and "Sleeveless Tee", and heading out at about 10am. I'll be up on the mountain by about 11am in case anyone is interested in meeting up to "rag" on me. I had better put my "six-pack" in the fridge tonight so my "Brewskies" will be cold for tomorrow! Pictures and videos will be up in the afternoon in case anyone needs a laugh! Hahaha!!!:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

What a "Poser" !!! Haha!! lolup At least there's no rain in the forecast so I don't have to spend any time under the overpasses!

because we sportbike riders go so fast that the rain just can't catch us. (it also helps helps when you have gear and a helmet)

Two wheels is great even if it is an HD! Good for you Billy!

I'll be on four wheels the whole day. Tomorrow is the 6 hr round trip drive to go get the two puppies! :D

Oh yeah! I'll be SCARY tomorrow! All those Grannies on the road had better steer clear cause me and my set of "fully open" Vance and Hines Drag Pipes will be coming through!!!!!:flip: Ya see! I finally got to use this smiley!!! Thats me, sticking it to the establishment on my HOG!!!!:flip:

Well, I'm back from my big ride to the mountain today. The weather was beautiful, no wind, Sun shining... I threw my leg over the Hog by 10am and headed to fill up the tank first at the station. After that I was going to take the long way up north but I wanted to get used to the bike first so I opted for the highway. I figured to stay in the right lane and just cruise at 50 all the way there until I felt more comfortable. For some reason the bike just didn't feel right to me. Somehow it was really hard to counter steer. Now I had ridden this bike home from the dealer for my friend and didn't remember it feeling this way. Anyhow, 12 miles into my trip, I'm running 50mph in the right lane when I look down in my mirror and notice white smoke behind me. I thought immediately that it may be oil, when WHAMMO!, I'm fishtailing all over the place at 50mph!!! I let off the throttle and somehow managed to keep it on two wheels and off to the shoulder. Once stopped safely I looked down to see the rear tire had blown! TRIP OVER!!!! I called my buddy and he said he had Roadside through Progressive so I called. Well, they don't tow you from highways or parkways. WONDERFUL! I'm a 1/4 mile from the next exit and the tire is no longer beaded on the rim. I stood for an hour on the side of the parkway, thinking about what to do. If I road the 1/4 mile to the exit, I would surely trash the rim so that was out. Call the police??? I got 24 bucks in my pocket so a paid tow was out as well. I wound up calling my buddy who lived a mile from there and he came to sit with me. While I was waiting, I looked up the side of the parkway on the huge hill I was standing on and thought...."I could probably make it up there to the secondary road". It was a 30 degree incline and was about 500 to 800 feet to the top. I figured the grass wouldn't mess the rim up too bad but it was steep. Well, my buddy arrived and I told him my idea. Get up this hill to the street, call Progressive for the free tow, and get my butt home.

Well, I "dirt tracked" that Hog, sliding all over the place, with my buddy pushing from behind and made it up! I waited another 2-1/2 hours for the flatbed and they drove me back to the owner's house.

So what did I learn from today's experience???? Never ever ever borrow a friends bike again, and if you really must, make sure it's NOT A HARLEY!!!!!

Okay, here's the pictures and video I promised you guys at the beginning of the thread....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxcC3SJqdIA]Sunday Ride On A Harley! - YouTube[/ame]

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

So now I spent 20 bucks to fill the tank, 10 bucks to the driver of the flatbed, and probably 240 bucks for a new back tire for my friend's bike. So a simple ride on a Harley cost me 270 bucks! NICE!! I won't be ever riding again unless the name on the title is MINE!!!:doh2:

Re: Ouch . . . 8^(

:wow: What bad luck ! I am sure glad you weren't hurt or tossed from the fishtailing behemoth as you fought for control out on the freeway !! A tribute to your magnificent HOG riding skills I'm sure ! And, to scale the hill with a 690lb. HOG sporting a floppy rear tire, now that, is just plain awesome !! Well done Billy !! :woot:

Thanks Gary! It was quite a day to say the least! I gotta say, had I not glanced down to look in the mirror at that point, it might have ended up differently. As soon as I saw that white smoke I let off the throttle. I wished I had the GoPro on at that moment so you could see how "sideways" that hog was at one point. With the forward controls, your at the mercy of the bike cause you can't even stand up to get some weight off the rear. I had quite the adreneline rush when I finally got off the bike though!

Glad the nasty old Harley did'nt get you. I'll bet is was one of those Harley logo Dunlops. Evil machines. Good to hear your in one piece.

Glad the nasty old Harley did'nt get you. I'll bet is was one of those Harley logo Dunlops. Evil machines. Good to hear your in one piece.

Holy Smokes! Your absolutely right! When I got the bike back to his house, I checked the tire for it's size, and sure enough, it says Harley Davidson on it! You know your hogs my boy!!!!

MIght have all been meant to be. There is usually a reason for everything. The tire was prolly going to blow no matter who was riding it. You were riding cautiously and looking the bike over to get used to it, if it had been your friend that owned the bike he could have fired it up and blasted down the road and it could have turned out alot worse.

MIght have all been meant to be. There is usually a reason for everything. The tire was prolly going to blow no matter who was riding it. You were riding cautiously and looking the bike over to get used to it, if it had been your friend that owned the bike he could have fired it up and blasted down the road and it could have turned out alot worse.

Your right J. I was thinking about that on the way home from his house. I swore that there was something amiss with the steering, but thought that maybe it was because I hadn't ridden a cruiser in such a long time. That's why I chose to stay off the twisty road up North that I would normally run, and opted to take the highway instead. My buddy has only logged about 1,900 miles on this bike since he bought it new in 08' so I'm kind of glad that I was riding it instead of him. He's a dear friend and I'd hate to see anything happen to him on the road.

Billy my rear tire blew at 80 on the highway and it took everything I had to get it off the highway safely. that was the c14. That day scared the piss out of me.

Billy, that totally sucks! I'm so glad you're OK first of all!!! Sorry the day was cut short but glad it was SAFELY cut! Good defensive driving is what saved you. High Kudos!

Back