Synthetic Oil Recommendations

My oil choice for the FZ1 is almost entirely based on improved shifting.
I've run Castrol motorcycle specific ( dino )
Rotella ( syn )
Rotella (dino )
and Mobil 1mx4t ( syn, motorcycle specific )

The shifting is the best, smooth not so notchy with the Mobil mx4t

The worst was the castrol, horrible shifting.

Same here.

I just don't see the need to fork over the extra money for synthetic.

The K&N oil filter is great. Filters well, I suppose, and is easy to get on and off, most importantly.

Really the most important thing in keeping the oil clean is the air filter not the oil and oil filter.

I think it's funny that people state they use a K&N air filter to "save money", but change their oil every 1,500 miles... I've not figured that one out yet...

That said. On my Tuono I run either Motul or Eni and an Aprilia (Paggio) filter. Heaven forbid the motor crater during warranty, I'm not taking any chances, and I only have the oil changed at the dealer. The nearest one is 110 miles away. I just call ahead, make an appointment, trailer her in, take the wife to breakfast, pick the bike up and then go shopping with wife. Said oil change ends up being about $793.42. :eek5:

Once it's out of warranty, back to the Cycle Gear special of the week.

That said. On my Tuono I run either Motul or Eni and an Aprilia (Paggio) filter. Heaven forbid the motor crater during warranty, I'm not taking any chances, and I only have the oil changed at the dealer. The nearest one is 110 miles away. I just call ahead, make an appointment, trailer her in, take the wife to breakfast, pick the bike up and then go shopping with wife. Said oil change ends up being about $793.42. :eek5:

Once it's out of warranty, back to the Cycle Gear special of the week.

HeLL NO !

:wow: Thats +/- 40 gallons of Rotella T6.

Last edited:
OCD Upkeep

I change my oil (and filter) every 3k. I am only at 8,000 right now on my 2008, but I'm changing them, before a weekend trip in the Sierras. I rarely ever go above 5k on the tachometer and the oil in the glass Level window looks like new, but at age 59, this "1st bike" may be the "only" motorcycle I ever own, so I do everything I can for correct maintenance (after 25 years, I finally got a garage door and opener, but I STILL put the disc lock and bike cover on the FZ1). : owned:
Bro I have a liter bike and don’t go above 5k revs, should of got a slower bike

Back