Taking the plunge: R1 Fork Conversion

Got a response from them:
Hi,

These are very simple to install. They slip over the top of the fork witch is a tight fit and there is a set screw on the side that you tighten up. When these are on the bike with the mild press fit and set screw the clamps really firm it all up because of the stem being tighten up. These will not come apart and have been making them for many years. Ill see if I can get a picture later today for you.

Regards
Tom

Sounds like they have a screw to hold them onto the fork.

I'll edit this post with pics when he sends them.

The legs won't fit in the gen1 top yoke/tree will they? I'm currently considering getting a billet r1 yoke since a new one can be had for about $50 less than the new oem gen2 fz1 yoke.

I think I have this right: the billet yoke is stronger than oem. That should mean it's better to drill the holes for the handlebar risers into the billet rather than oem.

looking at the pic and he can make them to suit why cannot fit the fz1 top yoke

top of the extender needs to match the fz1 hole whilst the bottom matches the r1 leg and use the r1 bottom tree
or am i missin summat here?

simples

Couldn't sleep so I've been doing some more research. Luke's post about using my Gen1 FZ1 upper with custom extensions has me thinking. Then I found this:
attachment.php

attachment.php

They did exactly what Luke is advising.

Just got a pic of the extension not on the bike from cycleoneoff:

sample%20exten.jpg

They've got 50mm ones in stock now. I asked about the cost of getting them made like Luke suggested, 2" extensions with 43mm tops to go into the gen1 upper triple. It's $200 and made out of solid material. Add $20 for black powdercoating. This should let me keep the same ride height I have now right?

the other way to get around the shorter r1 forks compared to fz1 forks..

strip the r1 caliper mount from the r1 inner tubes, and use back the FZ1 inner and outer fork tubes.

it's another major project though, but definitely worth doing should you choose not to compensate out on the rear and handling.

I went to a local mechanic shop today, Over Two Customs in Lawrenceville, hoping to get some prices for having the steering stem swapped. After showing him some pictures to augment my poor descriptions, he finally understood what I wanted done. I can get the stems swapped for $60 and they can service the forks and replace the seals for $110 and suggested maybe having the springs upgraded. He said he'd test the the forks to be sure were straight.

I liked the way they treated me and will definitely be giving them my business. I was going to do as much of this myself but after talking to them, I'm going to pay them to do it.

A little update

Now that I'll have my rear suspension upgraded, I started thinking about the front end again. Cruzman is planning a suspension day to get his refreshed front working better with his upgraded rear. Hopefully I'll have the bolts and my rear installed so I can get that dialed in.

Thinking about the suspension day had me wishing that I wasn't doing the slow and steady thing. I kind of wanted to do everything this weekend (right after he sent the email)! But I came to my senses.

What I've done so far is gather parts. The last time I posted I had the r1 forks, r1 lower triple, and extra fz1 triple. Not long after I got the FZ1 triple, I got an r1 axle with the spacers.

Then when sailah from advrider was selling his leftover parts from his FZ1 Ronin project, I picked up an fz1 upper with risers. I really only wanted the risers, but it was a package deal and for the price I couldn't beat it.
DSCN0020.JPG

right now it's sitting on my extra fz1 lower triple
DSCN0021.JPG

There was a long search for the front fender. Why are people pricing their used, covered with stickers, and beat up front fenders within in pennies of the new one? :wtf: Since I'm not fool enough to fall for it I was waiting, thinking I'd likely get a new front fender, when FZ#1 who did his conversion and had an extra fender leftover offered it to me at a price I couldn't refuse. So I got this
DSCF5028.JPG

black fender.

I think he said it was fiberglass and stronger than OEM. It's not blue but it'll work! Best part is he included most of the grommets that I'll need and gave me tips for finding the other mounting hardware.

Now I basically have all the parts :yes:, except for the extension adapter and caps that Devilsyam is getting made for me. After I get back from my Arkansas trip next month, I plan to take the forks to OTC for service and spring upgrade and the lowers for the stem swap. More than likely that'll happen in October then the bike will go to them in November to have the steering stem bearings changed for the tapered ones and the front end swapped.

If I thought I could do the bearings myself, I'd probably do the swap myself but I can see all kinds of trouble trying to get those things out and the new ones in. I followed eflyguy's gen1 overhaul on the other forum and read how much trouble he had with his. Then I saw in person how he didn't get them in deep enough and now has no steering lock. I'm leaving that for the professionals.

But now I find myself with a dilemma. I think I should go for pretty rotors to go with my pretty front end.

c120_1_b.JPG

Since I'm doing rotors, I'm thinking it's a good time to upgrade ss brake lines from PJs as well. Unfortunately I just did my front brakes but I'll still get new pads to go with the new rotors.

All this and the multigauge too! And to think, last year I said I was done modding! Well after this I think that's true. The only thing I'll have left to do is get a cf sleeve for my yosh muffler when i repack it. I'm tired of polishing it and if it's shiny I feel obligated to keep it as shiny as I can.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's all coming together. Others have had bad experiences with those cheap rotors so you might be better off keeping the stockers and spending the money on some quality pads and braided hoses instead. I know it wont have the "bling" factor, but they'll perform great.

Sounds like it's all coming together. Others have had bad experiences with those cheap rotors so you might be better off keeping the stockers and spending the money on some quality pads and braided hoses instead. I know it wont have the "bling" factor, but they'll perform great.

I agree. I like OEM best. It lasts the longest, usually works the best, and is almost always cheapest.

IF I was going to do new rotors I think the EBC XLs are the way to go. The Brembos look totally bad a$$ but at $599 waaaaay too much.

After several bad sets of Galfer lines I will not buy their products.

In reality I'll probably have the stockers for a while, maybe until the pads need replacing. The rotors I was thinking about are the ones Ravenrider says he uses with no trouble.

I think I'm just going to be happy with my front end! I still wish I could do it right now but I'm not willing to sacrifice riding time in good weather either so I have to stick to my plan. As my Mom likes to say, "Everything is in Divine Order."

Now that I'll have my rear suspension upgraded, I started thinking about the front end again. Cruzman is planning a suspension day to get his refreshed front working better with his upgraded rear. Hopefully I'll have the bolts and my rear installed so I can get that dialed in.

Thinking about the suspension day had me wishing that I wasn't doing the slow and steady thing. I kind of wanted to do everything this weekend (right after he sent the email)! But I came to my senses.

What I've done so far is gather parts. The last time I posted I had the r1 forks, r1 lower triple, and extra fz1 triple. Not long after I got the FZ1 triple, I got an r1 axle with the spacers.

Then when sailah from advrider was selling his leftover parts from his FZ1 Ronin project, I picked up an fz1 upper with risers. I really only wanted the risers, but it was a package deal and for the price I couldn't beat it.
DSCN0020.JPG

right now it's sitting on my extra fz1 lower triple
DSCN0021.JPG

There was a long search for the front fender. Why are people pricing their used, covered with stickers, and beat up front fenders within in pennies of the new one? :wtf: Since I'm not fool enough to fall for it I was waiting, thinking I'd likely get a new front fender, when FZ#1 who did his conversion and had an extra fender leftover offered it to me at a price I couldn't refuse. So I got this
DSCF5028.JPG

black fender.

I think he said it was fiberglass and stronger than OEM. It's not blue but it'll work! Best part is he included most of the grommets that I'll need and gave me tips for finding the other mounting hardware.

Now I basically have all the parts :yes:, except for the extension adapter and caps that Devilsyam is getting made for me. After I get back from my Arkansas trip next month, I plan to take the forks to OTC for service and spring upgrade and the lowers for the stem swap. More than likely that'll happen in October then the bike will go to them in November to have the steering stem bearings changed for the tapered ones and the front end swapped.

If I thought I could do the bearings myself, I'd probably do the swap myself but I can see all kinds of trouble trying to get those things out and the new ones in. I followed eflyguy's gen1 overhaul on the other forum and read how much trouble he had with his. Then I saw in person how he didn't get them in deep enough and now has no steering lock. I'm leaving that for the professionals.

But now I find myself with a dilemma. I think I should go for pretty rotors to go with my pretty front end.

c120_1_b.JPG

Since I'm doing rotors, I'm thinking it's a good time to upgrade ss brake lines from PJs as well. Unfortunately I just did my front brakes but I'll still get new pads to go with the new rotors.

All this and the multigauge too! And to think, last year I said I was done modding! Well after this I think that's true. The only thing I'll have left to do is get a cf sleeve for my yosh muffler when i repack it. I'm tired of polishing it and if it's shiny I feel obligated to keep it as shiny as I can.

Has anyone tried changing the mounting points for the handle bars to accommodate a GPR Stabilizer? I thought I saw one on a Gen1 before?

Back