Tank Bag - Held Carry - Thoughts?

I'm looking at this tank bag made by Held in the USA. It's the carry model.
I've never had a tank bag and I don't know how good they are. Do they come off at all while your riding? This one is magnetic.
The web site www.heldusa.com/carry for this one says it will suit the FZ1 Fazer.
So, penny for your thoughts and experiences please...

Scotty, no experience with the Held bag. I use a Cortech 10L one with the magnetic mount. Once it goes on the tank it doesn't move at all during the ride. I can see it coming off in an accident, but that's about it and it that case you'll be worrying about things other than the tank bag. Here's are pictures of it and on the bike:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just bought the same cortech bag and cut off the handle, nice bag but smaller than the Held. Not happy they put the drink tube hole on the right side of the bag- what's up with that as my right hand is busy with the throttle.
Very good price for the Held (surprised), they have quality products. Been using a magnetic bag for years on my FR with no problems - holds tight at 150mph or in cross winds. Makes for refuel stops easy.

Another Cortech

Scotty, no experience with the Held bag. I use a Cortech 10L one with the magnetic mount. Once it goes on the tank it doesn't move at all during the ride. I can see it coming off in an accident, but that's about it and it that case you'll be worrying about things other than the tank bag. Here's are pictures of it and on the bike:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have exactly the same bag and although I rarely use it (yet) I carried my good SLR camera in it and was not worried about it at all.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

The one you are looking at is a lot less than what I paid, and looks like a good deal.

Hey, just to throw a spanner in the works. A fellow FZ1 rider over here in Oz put me onto a seat bag that fits on the back seat quite well! Oh and yes I've been trying to recruit her to this forum with no luck so far.
Anyway, it's the Ventura Imola 14 to 22 litre expandable seat bag. It has a "seat bra" that straps to the seat and the bag clips to it. I've been told it works very well and the bag is easy to remove and refit and is secure on the bike. I think I will be asking for one of these for fathers day this year.
ventura-bike.com/products SB0622

Hey, just to throw a spanner in the works. A fellow FZ1 rider over here in Oz put me onto a seat bag that fits on the back seat quite well! Oh and yes I've been trying to recruit her to this forum with no luck so far.
Anyway, it's the Ventura Imola 14 to 22 litre expandable seat bag. It has a "seat bra" that straps to the seat and the bag clips to it. I've been told it works very well and the bag is easy to remove and refit and is secure on the bike. I think I will be asking for one of these for fathers day this year.
ventura-bike.com/products SB0622

I've seen those before and heard good things about them. It's nice that they use an FZ (gen2) in the pictures. That way at least you KNOW they will work with our bike.

I've seen those before and heard good things about them. It's nice that they use an FZ (gen2) in the pictures. That way at least you KNOW they will work with our bike.

I didn't notice the FZ1 pics on their site as google took me straight to the Imola page and that yellow bike kept on coming up.
The bag on the back ofthe FZ1 looks huge! I don't know that I would be all that confident about the bike with a big heavy bag on the back up high. I would rather have 2 panniers hanging off the side to move the weight lower for better C-of-G.

What do you all think about the BAGSTER tank cover+bag, I have it on my bike (unfortunately with no pictures) and all I can say that it works great for me, in the summer when it's freaking hot the tank cover maintains the tank cold and the most important thing it protects it from damages, I know that maybe it's expensive when you buy both a tank cover and a bag, but the most remarkable thing is that you can but 1 bag, or 2 bags, or even 3 bags on top each other, here are some photos.....

What do you all think about the BAGSTER tank cover+bag, I have it on my bike (unfortunately with no pictures) and all I can say that it works great for me, in the summer when it's freaking hot the tank cover maintains the tank cold and the most important thing it protects it from damages, I know that maybe it's expensive when you buy both a tank cover and a bag, but the most remarkable thing is that you can but 1 bag, or 2 bags, or even 3 bags on top each other, here are some photos.....

Never seen this before. You have a lnk to their website?

Found link: http://www.bagster.com/en/

Last edited:
The Cortech 14L (10L as well, i assume) bag is ideally designed to fit on the FZ1 tank. There's plenty of magnet strength, too. However, I don't recommend it. W/O hard use, two zipper pulls snapped, and a seam on the glasses pouch, on top, started to unravel. Also, there's no expansion. I still use the bag, but not very much.
h_r3.jpg

I've become a real fan of Joe Rocket luggage-what little they make. My tank bag of choice is the Manta XL. While not as large as the Cortech, it's quality and ruggedness is superior. The utility pockets are more useful for me than on the Cortech and I like the shape of the bag as I can lean forward without interference. The magnets are super strong.
1.jpg

I also own and like the Joe Rocket Space Pak 2.0 tail bag.
unnamed.jpg

BTW, I have no experience with Held bags. However, it appears a very functional bag with the magnets positioned in a way that will contact the FZ1 gas tank.

Last edited:

I have this one myself, and I'm pretty pleased about it. Indeed it protects the tank and it's easy to mount/demount...

Last edited:
I've been using this Cargo Endurance bag for quite a few years and I friggin love it.

Cycle Gear - CARGO: Endurance Sport Tank Bag, BLACK

It holds a good amount of stuff, the map pocket is big enough that you don't have to over fold and you can get a good view. There is an internal zipper pocket on the flap that is great for holding attitional maps, etc. The bag itself zips off from the magnetic base which also has a map pocket built in so if you need a map but don't need a full tank bag it's got you covered. Here's a pic on the bike:

slyder1217-albums-fz1-ftw-picture1260-overlook.jpg

I have not had a tank bag before but I'm going to be joining the club in the near future. The reason I wanted to drop into THIS conversation is to mentino a benefit of a tank bag.
I have fought and fought with Toll road charges on my bike. We have the kind of tolls in Texas that take your pic driving down the road so there is no way to pay anything while driving - just entering/ exiting!!! I don't want to go into that - I just want to say that after buying a toll badge holder and not being satisfied - I think I'm going to stick the toll sticker in "map compartment" of a tank bag. That will allow (in theory) the toll sensors to read the toll tag and avoid walking into inflated toll bills!
Anyway - just wanted to mention this benefit so might think about this when you buy a bag. Most of the top compartments have room for both a map and a toll tag (depending on how you fold your map)
Good luck

I've got the Bagster cover on my FZ1 along with the Minea 21 litre tankbag. It's a good setup but I find the bag to be too big and it can get in the way when loaded up. I also got the small 3.5 litre Tweetie bag which is the ideal size for putting odds and ends in like your phone and wallet to save having to fill you pockets with them!
I'm going to try and see if they offer something a bit smaller, preferably about the 10 litre size.

In 20 years I have never had a magnetic tank bag come off. Of course I rarely have really large/tall ones mounted. My biggest one is a Nelson Rig Solar Powered bag. Because of the shape I have anchors up front that go through the neck of the frame up front. In the rear are magnets. The magnets have never budged even on our long hill country ride earlier last year.

A buddy let me borrow his larger version of this bag it is quite roomy and didn't really get in the way at all.

I've been using this Cargo Endurance bag for quite a few years and I friggin love it.

Cycle Gear - CARGO: Endurance Sport Tank Bag, BLACK

It holds a good amount of stuff, the map pocket is big enough that you don't have to over fold and you can get a good view. There is an internal zipper pocket on the flap that is great for holding attitional maps, etc. The bag itself zips off from the magnetic base which also has a map pocket built in so if you need a map but don't need a full tank bag it's got you covered. Here's a pic on the bike:

slyder1217-albums-fz1-ftw-picture1260-overlook.jpg

Back