The FZ1 engine whistle/whine sound...what is it?

Eric Lawson

Hey guys curious question that should be easily answered by some of you, what is the whistleing or whine that naturally seems to come from the FZ1? I had a couple Suzuki Busa riders ask me if i had a turbo on it becuse of the sound it makes when you rev it. I could only reply its always sounded like that? I know from watching YouTube videos its not just my FZ1....Soooo what is it???

Yeah my bike makes the same noise and I have no idea either. I had my bike next to a mates 02 R1 and as it's the old carby engine it didn't make that noise (sounded better!).

the only mods ive done in relation to engine are the SuperTrapp exaust and removed the screen from the factory air filter and plugged the AIS. But as i stated the turbo/whistle sound has always been there and i hadnt given it much thought until other riders started asking me about it. I thought it might be the layout of the bike but Ive owned another inline 4 bike a CBR600 and it didnt make the sound. Im rather surprised i didnt get an immediate answer to make me feel stupid, lol....guess its a unique characteristic of our Fz1 but why?:nerd:

Its mostly present at idle with a slight rev of the throttle. Seems to dissapear at higher rpm's or is simply cant be heard because of exaust. You dont really notice that much when rideing just when at idle or low rpm's. But like i said ive watched numerous YouTube videos of Fz1's with factory and aftermarket exaust and they had same whistle characteristic of my bike....Hmmmm.

When I had my FZ6, I noticed this whistling too. It became more pronounced when I removed the fairing to put the FZ1N kit on.
I have no idea what it is though.

I've only had my FZ1 for over a month. Never really listened for the sound, will have to check it out next time I ride.

yeah mines done the same thing since i bought it new too. i've had it for almost two years and it still does it. doesn't seem to be a problem, it's just kinda annoying

I know what it is. I was told by a Yamaha engineer way high up in the organization, that that whine is the Discombobulator. It is found only on Yamaha bikes. It's is highly hush-hush...I can't say more...wish I could...

Back