The worst ride ever

Mud, mud, mud. 7 miles took 3 hours. Fall 5 times. I had to hike out for help. I was so spent I finally couldn't lift the bike. I feel like I did a track day combined with a day of skiing.

uploadfromtaptalk1405877203577.jpg

I remember way back when I was still married and was in the Dominican Republic with my wife in her hometown. She lived about 3 miles from the main, paved road. It was just dirt to and from the house. We were out on a DT135 Yamaha coming home from the river and it started raining. The mud was like concrete once it got into the wheels. It would actually stop the bike. I had to keep finding sticks and rocks to chisel the mud from the spokes and chain in order to get running again. It took us over two hours to go the 3 miles to her house. We never went down and I was beat to hell. I could only imagine how you must feel. Cool photo though!

Damn Clay

Clay based soil is horrible when it turns into that gumbo. Black soil isn't much better, but clay is the worst. Knobbies wouldn't help very much with crap. Better to just stay away from it. There are areas around here that I avoid at all costs when it rains.

I consider my 350 Lb Gen 1 KLR a pig in the soft stuff so I imagine those 500 +LB "adventure " bikes aren't much fun in the tough stuff. Pick and choose where you ride carefully but at least you are trying Pete!

Clay based soil is horrible when it turns into that gumbo. Black soil isn't much better, but clay is the worst. Knobbies wouldn't help very much with crap. Better to just stay away from it. There are areas around here that I avoid at all costs when it rains.
Oh I learned my lesson on that ride.

uploadfromtaptalk1405954536627.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405954545735.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405954559557.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405954566827.jpg

It's not all that often you get mud, is it? Isn't it typically more dust than mud?

Sort of like a Scott Oiler, you need a Pete Tire sprayer to keep the mud flinging instead of caking!

Yes mud is odd here in the summer. This week we had a cold front come through and it rained and sprinkled for 3 days. Usually it's a dust bowl on July.

Well we don't have a riding scene here, so no Starbucks stop. That would have been funny!

Back