Thinking of buying an FZ1 (owned an FZ8), thoughts welcome

Hi All,

Just sold my bike in the last couple of weeks as baby is due any minute now, money for usual house and baby stuff etc.

I agreed with my wife that I would wait to buy the next one around Christmas time, hence plenty of think time. While I'm here, was just thinking - anyone owned or ridden an 2008-2011 (the years I can afford budget wise) faired FZ1 ABS?

The reviews always say that unless you are above 8,000RPM the bike is too docile with no torque. Is that really true? I need a "do it all" bike and like the idea of 150bhp but while sitting comfortably. CBF1000 and Bandits not in the same league.

My general riding:

- Commuting to work

- A and B roads weekends going on rideouts

- Small amount of motorways when going to see friends here and there

- Tiny amount of mini touring (eg planning IOM TT in the next 2-3 years)

- Here and there experience of drag racing and trackdays. One offs

- Emergency rider night shifts every month (long story, wont explain here)

My history of bikes are in the ~650-800cc range of do it alls. Thinking of the FZ1 so that I have experienced 150bhp. However, I don't want something that doesnt do town that well!

Thoughts welcome

Thanks

I ride an FZ8 an have ridden the FZ1, the only major improvement is the fairing, the power difference is nice but not needed, the fairing does help with longer trips. But The FZ8 holds its own everywhere else aswell. The FZ1 would be an upgrade only for longer trips IMO.

-B

FZ1 with ecu flash, leave stock pipes on it. is very very fun. needs suspension upgrades and brake upgrades if you plan on riding aggressively or on track, however if you are smooth and only on the street it will suffice stock. since you're english hilltop motorcycles 01455 848522 is where i'd check out for an ecu flash, i believe they include fueling but off the top of my head i dont recall. the fz1 isn't great at anything, but its kinda good at everything, jack of all trades sorta thing. i love mine very much for the ability to do all things, i commute on it, have toured the country, and taken it to the track.

There are a couple of things I would raise a flag for. The FZ1 can be a commuter but it is not economical. I have a car that gets better MPG, just no where near the fun! I have toyed with buying a smaller bike only for commuting and leaving the FZ1 for the weekend fun. Perhaps the new YZF-R3, FZ-07 (58mpg) or a dual-sport so I can also off-road and trail ride too. I've even considered the SR400 just for the new tech/old-school fun factor.

The FZ1 is a heavy bike for track days. It can track, but it's more of a workout and less fun than a light-weight smaller bike. Personally, I struggle with using my primary bike for track days. I'd hate to crash it and have nothing to ride. If I were serious about a few track days a year, I would find an inexpensive track bike to dedicate.

Touring - The FZ1 can handle this without issues. I loaded mine to the nines and rode it 1600 miles round trip without any issues. We're planning on doing this again late in August.

How many MPG does the FZ8 get? I'd love to try the FZ-07, FZ8 and FZ-09 back to back. I've had the FZ6 (both Gen's) and the FZ6R.

FZ07 is a blast to ride. About same HP than a FZ6R bit 80lbs lighter!

FZ09 is like a R6 with 60 ft.lb of torque from 5 to 11K RPM (mine at least) Better suite for holligans riding style and not a bad track weapon either.

Bit to zip around town the FZ07 is more fun IMO. Well equipped it would be a nice touring cycle too.

Thanks

Thanks for all the updates, useful.

From what you guys are saying, compared to my FZ8 is it basically;

- Like owning my FZ8 but with far more top end power (ie similar power lower down if I'm commuting at 10-30mph but when doing A and B roads will notice a huge power band difference)
- Not as good MPG but I wasnt expecting it from a 150bhp 1litre bike
- Comfortable and very much a Jack of all Trades
- Can do well on track days due to 150bhp but nowhere near as good as an R1 (expected though, its a Jack of all trades as I can only afford one bike with a baby on the way!)
- Unless already done, definitely need to do the ECU flash, even if I manage to get a 2010 bike when the fuelling issues are sorted... makes a big difference to comfort and riding ability? Makes it easier in town?
- Dont bother to get Akro can, unless bike already comes with it
- Will roast my thighs during Summer town riding? (this was my only big issue with the FZ8)

Will check the Hilltop M guys and now just need to find an insurance company who isnt trying to rip me off (I dont have a garage hence bike is parked outside. FZ8 was very reasonable insurance, struggling for same with the FZ1)

Give me a shout if anything else

There is also more low to mid range power in the FZ1 over the FZ8.
It was quite noticeable when I test rode both, back to back in 2010.
It's the reason I chose the FZ1 over the FZ8.

Interesting

There is also more low to mid range power in the FZ1 over the FZ8.
It was quite noticeable when I test rode both, back to back in 2010.
It's the reason I chose the FZ1 over the FZ8.

Thanks BM, that is very interesting as everyone always talks about the FZ1 not having any low down torque, hence my assumption that my recently sold FZ8 has way better low-mid torque while the FZ1 has better top end torque...

Basically, the journalist reviews is a bunch of bullpoop?

Are we saying that on the 10-30mph commuting routes the FZ1 would have great torque? (assuming I am not going to sit on 1st gear all time)

Thanks

Keep in mind that the magazine guys are comparing it to other liter bikes. Between the two the FZ1 will have more bottom end and mid range as it's a larger motor. As othesr have stated an ECU flash really wakes the motor up as the 1st to 3rd restrictions are removed.

Mileage isn't the best but compares to other sport bikes it is good, and the tank is fairly large.

Last edited:
Are we saying that on the 10-30mph commuting routes the FZ1 would have great torque? (assuming I am not going to sit on 1st gear all time)

OK – here’s my take…

From 10-30mph, you’re certainly not going to have “great torque.” The ONLY other bike I have direct experience with (other than the FZ1) was my old ’77 Suzuki GT 550 (2-stroke triple) I rode back in college. To me it was a red-light rocket-ship. With an 8000rpm redline, it had gobs of tire-spinning torque starting about 2000rpm, but was really weak up top and quickly ran out of steam above 7000. Pretty-much a direct-opposite of the FZ1.

IIRC, the FZ1 with stock-gearing goes 90+ mph in 1st-gear. The close-ratio gear-box has a tall 1st-gear, so it’s fairly weak off-the-line unless you’re really slipping the clutch. 10mph is barely over idle, and 30mph in 1st-gear would be around 4000rpm (bottom third of the rpm range) so it’s just starting to get into some decent torque. Probably the best “bang-for-the-buck” mod you can do to help with bottom-end would be to swap sprockets.

I have 2 different gear (sprocket) sets that fit with my stock chain. A “highway gear” for long road-trips (17 / 44), and a “city gear" for commuting and weekend rides. (16 / 47) Stock gearing is 17/45. Good luck!

This thread just made me recall a dream I had last night. I traded my Gen II in on an FZ-09 and was upset after the difference in ride. The FZ-1 is a great all around, multi-purpose street bike that rides like a couch on rails with more power than you will ever use on the street.

Don't discount a good full exhaust. A Yoshi will give a noticeable increase in midrange power. This will make an FZ1 feel much better than an FZ8 which is tuned for mid range (see the long headers). To me the fairing is mostly cosmetic, I cut down my windscreen to reduce buffeting of my helmet.

Thanks #2

Ok cheers guys.

Plan is to get one at Christmas and take it from there.

No doubt will be back here once I buy it, for now it will have to be just a "watch this space" as my baby boy was born 2 weeks ago and I promised to stay away from bikes for 6 months (hence the Christmas bike buying).

I have owned both.

I personally prefer the fz8 because it is more fun. Yes the suspension is crappy and needs to be upgraded to R1 stuff, but I think it looks cooler being naked, consumes less gas per mile, and feels like you are going faster than you are because of all the wind resistance. I have yet to try an fz09 but it really seems more super motard style to me. The value of Fz8 is plummeting too, so you can get a killer deal on one and mod it out on the cheap - i just picked one up for 2000 with a couple of small scratches.

My FZ1 was definitely faster and easier to get to higher speeds, but almost too good at it you know? Maybe I'm just a naked bike guy, I'm used to dirt bikes.

The nice thing is, the FZ1 is available in naked form as well. It wasn't sold in North America that way but a conversion is just an online order away

Really good to hear from someone who has owned an FZ1 and the FZ8.

I think my issue is that I have always owned "sensible" bikes like the FZ8, BMW F800ST, BMW F800S (yes I have owned the "ST" and the "S"), BMW F650GS etc

Hence the aim of the FZ1 is to enable me to experience superbike power while still being able to:
- Commute to work when I want comfortably
- Be very comfy on long rides near my house
- Have the excitement of a superbike with the comfort of what I have ridden before
- Allow a track day here and there to really experience what it can do. Appreciate people may say its a bit heavy and not great clearance, but for a novice track day person like me I reckon it will be simply exhilarating
- very well priced compared to a Ducati Multistrada or the others who provide a bike with 150bhp in comfort (sold the FZ8 to pay for baby stuff, replacement needs to be keenly priced)

Appreciate it means more petrol use, more insurance but as a one off it feels worthwhile for the experience!

The FZ8 was a great bike, the bhp was very useable and I enjoyed its torque. I simply cannot imagine what an extra 50% more bhp must be like...

Back