Tire change assistance requested

2u5yhady.jpg
I just got new tires and am trying to reinstall them and have an extra part.. I think it came from the rear but I can't see where it will fit. Would any of you know where it goes?

Next time I'll be taking lots if pictures. Youtube and the Yamaha service manual don't help. Also searching here I can't find any posts with pictures that will show me. Hope these pictures help.

9yzu6uhe.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Appears to be what is referred to as a collar and it goes in the seal on the sprocket. Sprocket is too close to the swing arm - collar spaces it properly.

This is #30 shown in the diagram below -

You can find exploded views like this on PartShark.com as an example. Google is your friend.....

Here's the other side - looks like there is one on both sides, but between these two views, you'll have it -

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the website that's much easier to follow than the Yamaha service manual. That arrow helps a ton diagrams only get me so far I'm not the best mechanic. I'll do that once I get home.

Tony

Awesome. Thanks for the website that's much easier to follow than the Yamaha service manual. That arrow helps a ton diagrams only get me so far I'm not the best mechanic. I'll do that once I get home.

Tony

The item you need to install is generally called a wheel spacer. Yamaha calls it a collar. There is one on each side and they are different thickness. Make sure you have them on the correct side.

I'm working on it now and it will fit in the hole in the wheel
umymybyb.jpg

But the axle won't slide through it is to thick. The front installed just fine and no wobbles when I check it. I understand the point of a spacer but there isn't anywhere I can put this without it getting in the way of the axle. I'm starting to think this must go on the front. I have another one in the rear and it's bigger.
qapy6eve.jpg

OK it's gotta be for three front the front axle fits it perfectly. Now I need to look up on that website to see if the front only has one I don't see another.

Last edited:
I'm working on it now and it will fit in the hole in the wheel
umymybyb.jpg

But the axle won't slide through it is to thick. The front installed just fine and no wobbles when I check it. I understand the point of a spacer but there isn't anywhere I can put this without it getting in the way of the axle. I'm starting to think this must go on the front. I have another one in the rear and it's bigger.
qapy6eve.jpg

OK it's gotta be for three front the front axle fits it perfectly. Now I need to look up on that website to see if the front only has one I don't see another.

Yes, the front has 2 as well. You really gotta be more careful until you know what your doing. Test riding it with the front wheel spacer missing could end badly.

The job of the wheel spacers is to locate the wheel. This allows the brake disk to line up with the brake calipers as designed. Without the wheel spacers, the wheel will move on the axel until the brake disk bind in the calipers. Then when you go to grab the brakes, there won't be any (until you pump them) as the pads will have been pushed in on one side.

Last edited:
I found the second one for the front under a seat in my car. Now I'm missing one for the rear. I'm going to call cyclegear to see if they have it if not I'm going to order a new one. Thanks for the help guys. I did learn a bunch I'll post some pictures when it's done on a new topic so I can pretend this was easy for me.

You would think so. I mindlessly left them in when I got the new tires at cycle gear and they cant find it and I looked in my garage and car. I just ordered a new one from bikebandit.com. I'm a little bummed cause I was going to try out the new tires around lake Tahoe this weekend and it most likely wont get here by then. Oh well I'll know more for next time.
Also do you guys grease the axle and inner parts or is it ok to just put them in dry.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I was told by the guy that changes my tires that greasing the axle will make it easier to take it out next time. Other than that, really no benefit.

Hey everyone. Not quite sure where to ask, and don't feel like starting another tire thread. LOL

I ordered some new shoes for my ride and got the wrong front. (didn't bother to double check, I know everything!) 120/60-17 instead of 120/70-17

I'm sure most of you have more riding experience then I do. Other than my front ride height being lower and a stiffer front I don't see the big problem.

Thanks!

Its similar to getting a 190/55 vs a 190/50.

Dont sweat it, experiment and see how it works for you.

Last edited:
Back