Tire question

Ok my friends, I have a non FZ1 tire question. One of my friends has a cruiser (Honda shadow ace) I changed her oil recently, and saw all these little cuts on the inside and outside of the front tire. They look like multiple razor blade cuts. It's a brand new tire! Any ideas? I think personally it should be changed, but I don't know what would cause it.

Thanks again!!!

I didn't, but they are random. I've never seen anything like it, it literally looks like a bunch of tiny razor cuts here and there all the way around on both sides of the tire. It isn't rot, the tire hasn't been over inflated, and it holds air just fine.

I know that you said that the tire is new but there is a way to tell the Manufacture Date on the tire. It may be possible that it was a "never installed" old tire and has some dry rot due to the way it was stored??? It definitely sounds strange and if it was me I'd bring it back to where I bought it and complain. It would surely make me nervous to ride on a tire like that.

I have seen the exact pattern on my Warrior OEM tire,REplace it now do not ride it.with these syptoms it will affect handling and you will also notice air pressure loss,CHANGE IT NOW VERY DANGEROUS!!!!

Do you know if the tires were siped by any chance?

Siping (rubber) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Siping is a process of cutting thin slits across a rubber surface to improve traction in wet or icy conditions.

Yes, and if you look at the new Pilot Road 3 tires, you'll see a lot of siping there too! :D Although not random....

Michelin_Pilot_Road_3.jpg

Last edited:
It is very dangrous, because if those razor cuts are deep enough itll let air get inbetwen tread and inside liner and cause a catostraphic blow out. nasty stuff hope it works out for your friend

I think if the tire was "siped", I'd think it would have a more uniform pattern of marks in the rubber. Missy stated that there was no particular pattern but just random markings. A snapshot would do justice to this thread.

Any chance that someone actually cut them with a razorblade?
IDK?
I would DEFINITELY change the tire immediately. Any cuts in the rubber are bad but to answer your question - I have never seen or heard of anything like this before. :confused0024:

Any chance that someone actually cut them with a razorblade?
IDK?
I would DEFINITELY change the tire immediately. Any cuts in the rubber are bad but to answer your question - I have never seen or heard of anything like this before. :confused0024:

I was thinking that also. Maybe someone had nothing better to do. The way things are these days it wouldn't surprise me at all. Either way, if they're not sure, they should have the tire checked out by someone to be sure it's safe to ride on.

Yes, and if you look at the new Pilot Road 3 tires, you'll see a lot of siping there too! :D Although not random....

Michelin_Pilot_Road_3.jpg

Not to hijack the thread but, BIKE magazine just did an article on the Pilot Road 3's and said they were, by far, the best tires in the wet they have ever tested. The tester was knee down in one inch of standing water going around a curve on a Zuke 1250. Dunlop Roadsmarts came in at a close second place. One caveat though, they did not have time to test dry grip or longevity by the time they had to go to press.

Back