Titanium Brake Bolts

Anybody that wants to add some titanium bits to their bikes might want to look at this:

Titanium Disc Rotor Mount Set Bolts Stainless Yamaha FZ1 Fazer ABS 2008 2009 | eBay

Seems like a good deal for about $75 US shipped. I paid about $55 US shipped for ss rotor bolts last year so I would have definitely spent the extra $20 on titanium. It's amazing when you hold one of those bolts in your hand. They are so light!
Any idea if they unobtainium is as strong for the same size? Or is it stronger.

They do look good, and they should lighten both wheels by a bit. I thought it was interesting that they didn't state the actual weight savings compared to the OEM and the fact that they said to torque to OEM specs. If the material is different (i.e. stronger, harder, etc.) I would think torque specs might also change a bit.

I purchased a set of Ti sprocket bolts for my old 1997 Yamaha YZ250. It's all they had in stock when I needed a set thatday. They are light, strong and not worth the money unless you are trying to build a very light motorcycle. The FZ1 is not the best starting point for that.

They do look good, and they should lighten both wheels by a bit. I thought it was interesting that they didn't state the actual weight savings compared to the OEM and the fact that they said to torque to OEM specs. If the material is different (i.e. stronger, harder, etc.) I would think torque specs might also change a bit.

There is no reason to tighten them at a higher torque, remember the bolts screw in aluminium alloy , if you had Ti wheels then you could theoretically torque the bolts higher but still there is no reason for that.

The weight savings are maybe 100-200 grams.. and that mass is near the center of the wheel so any gyroscopic advantage of the weight loss is diminished .

That said... I would buy the bolts just for bragging rights :cowboy:

Back