To sell or not to sell the FZ1

dduck

I have a 2009 FZ1 and I love the bike because of the versatility. I just dropped big $ on a new Harley SG for longer trips and now the FZ is just for sport riding.

The question is do I keep it or do I get something else as my second bike?

I Would like to hear from those of you that have owned any jap liter bike or busa or zx14 or ducati etc... And can give me some good feedback.

I have test driven many bikes but you really don't know a bike until you've owned it.

Not sure what you want to hear...do you want a sportier bike than the FZ1? If so sell it and just get an R1 or CBR1000RR or GSX-R1000. If you don't want something that sporty then keep the FZ1, especially if it's paid for. It has plenty of power and it's more comfortable to ride than the pure sport bikes...

Mostly worried that I'll be too uncomfortable to make the added power worthwhile.

Well I can tell you that the older you get the less tolerance you'll have for the pure sport bikes. Now after a 20-30 minute ride on an R1 my wrists are screaming in pain. I suppose if I rode one often enough I would get used to it, but that's the beauty of the FZ1. It handles pretty good (especially if you upgrade the suspension) and has plenty of power for the street.

i have owned a zzr 1200 and a zx14 and they both were wonderful very fast and pretty comfortable the zx14 was blindingly fast the zzr was more docile but very very fast but more comfortable.....the fz1 is my favorite bike i have ever owned its plenty fast very good torque and more comfortable than both....and the best looking of the 3 IMO

Unless the FZ1 is deficient in some way for you why take the hit on the dollar front to change to something else? Unless you are a serious sport rider the FZ1 is a perfect jack-of-all-trades bike. I'd keep it.

The new zx14r is a beast and handles better than my 08 zx14 does
Big bikes take more effort to turn fast but its not too bad I traded my Fz for a zx14 mostly because I wanted something better for the dragstrip and got a good street bike along with it.I like it better than my 06fz1 as it dont put pressure on my lower back

I have a 2009 FZ1 and I love the bike because of the versatility.

I think that you already answered your own question, I you love the FZ1 beacuse of the versatility why change it and spend additional money?!?!?!

If you plan on using it for daily usage (City, sport riding) that would be a far better choise than purchase a Sport bike from my point of view, cause 150hp for street riding is more than enough.

However like the money, the choice is yours!

The new zx14r is a beast and handles better than my 08 zx14 does
Big bikes take more effort to turn fast but its not too bad I traded my Fz for a zx14 mostly because I wanted something better for the dragstrip and got a good street bike along with it.I like it better than my 06fz1 as it dont put pressure on my lower back

I drove the 2012 zx14 and not only was power sick but the suspension was so smooth.

I think that you already answered your own question, I you love the FZ1 beacuse of the versatility why change it and spend additional money?!?!?!

If you plan on using it for daily usage (City, sport riding) that would be a far better choise than purchase a Sport bike from my point of view, cause 150hp for street riding is more than enough.

However like the money, the choice is yours!

Two areas where the FZ is lacking is low end power and Suspension. For the same money that it would take to fix those items I could combine with the sale of the FZ to get...may other bikes...

Most bikes that are better in those areas are lacking in comfort.

Sell it and get the Tuono for sport riding. ;) Pete will vouch for that. :yes:

Why didn't you just invest in the full Givi setup and a tall touring screen then swap stuff on and off (in minutes) when you wanted to tour? Best of both worlds can be had with this single bike. :tup:

My previous bike before the FZ 1 was a ZX-14.
I actually loved it and was just as comfy on it as the FZ 1.
The engine of the 14 is way smoother with much less bad vibes, monster torque, hyperspace acceleration.
I rode many 300 to 500 mile days on the 14 and in two years rode it 26000 miles trouble free.
The FZ 1 is cheaper, lighter, and tips in a little better, and has better cornering clearance.
I'm not sure exactly what you want, every bike has it's pluses and minuses.

img_8181-text.jpg

Last edited:
Sell it and get the Tuono for sport riding. ;) Pete will vouch for that. :yes:

Why didn't you just invest in the full Givi setup and a tall touring screen then swap stuff on and off (in minutes) when you wanted to tour? Best of both worlds can be had with this single bike. :tup:

I have the givi side bags and touring windshield for longer trips but really no comparison to the Harley for touring. Its not fast but Wind protection, radio, stability, comfort is on a different level.

The 2012 tuono is sick too but I'm thinking realistically of bikes in the $8-$9k range Max if I do make a change.

I have a 2009 FZ1 and I love the bike because of the versatility. I just dropped big $ on a new Harley SG for longer trips and now the FZ is just for sport riding.

The question is do I keep it or do I get something else as my second bike?

I Would like to hear from those of you that have owned any jap liter bike or busa or zx14 or ducati etc... And can give me some good feedback.

I have test driven many bikes but you really don't know a bike until you've owned it.

Well from experience you'll probably regret selling it. I started off on a cruiser (1100) for 4 1/2 yrs then bought the FZ1. For a little over a yr I had both bikes but te cruiser was just sitting while the new bike was getting all the love. Well I decided to sell it since I wasn't riding it much anymore (big mistake). Why do I find myself wanting another cruiser now?? If you're not worried about maintaining 2 bikes, I would suggest you keep it. Afterall you'll just use it for cutting up the streets/track then jump on the Harley for leisurely cruises around town, going to the store, going to work etc.

If I did not own an FZ1 I would either have a ZX-14 or Triumph Speed Triple. A Duc's riding position is too extreme for me and their maintenance is too $ too.

The new ZX-14 is the fastest regular production bike and the S3 has a whole different character.

Personally, I am not a HD fan because I prefer modern technology. I would take the FZ1 or either of the other two over one.

Modern tech like abs brakes? HD has, FZ/ zx14 don't in the US.

No doubt FZ or zx14 are more fun in short rides but the HD is a great bike for touring. It is a really enjoyable riding experience. It took me a week long trip on a rental get it.

I regret sell every bike I have sold and if it was possible I would have them all lined up in my shop. Keep it if you can. :smoking:

Personally, I am not a HD fan because I prefer modern technology.

There's a lot of modern tech packed into those things, they just try to hide it so it looks and sounds as much like an old tractor as possible :D

Personally, if you have a Street Glide now for long distance, you may as well just get a supersport or a hyper bike of some sort. Go for something on the cutting edge.

The FZ1 is a compromise bike but you don't need the compromises it makes because you already have a rolling couch

Speed Triple R, B-King, ZX14, R1, whatever... sky's the limit

Back