Turn Signal Help Needed

The turn signals stopped working on the XV today. 3 of the 4 had worked fine. I replaced the bulb of the one that wasn't working, no luck.

Now the turn signals work when they feel like it. Usually they don't.

I cleaned all of the connections, no luck.

When I move the switch I can hear the turn signal relay click. Left has a click, cancel has a click, right has a click, but no lights are lit.

Because they were working before and now the suddenly stopped working, I suspect the relay is going bad.

Any ideas? As the relay is $77.95 from Yamaha. :frown:

If you run 12 volts to each separately and they power up then I'd have to suspect the relay as well. I'd check on your forum cause I've seen guys use other relays not specific to the bike that are a fraction of the price and work the same or just as good as the OEM relay.

The Virago Forum is pretty weak, hence posting here.

How are you and the Bronx doing Billy? I hope you and your son are okay.

Thanks for asking Pete. We are doing just fine. Even though we live near the coast, we have the Borough of Queens blocking us from the ocean plus we are about 2 miles inland. We never lost power or anything like that so we fared much better than 90% of the people. The only battle now is getting gas. The lines are literally a 1/4 or more of a mile long at most places, and that's if they even have any gas at the stations. Me and Richie made a run into Connecticut late last night and was able to get lucky and find a station with only 7 cars on line. We filled up so we have gas for the week. Tonight Richie is going with his Mom to the same place for her car so I gave him two 5 gallon gas cans to fill up as a reserve which I'll keep in the garage. I'm happy we were spared but feel terrible for all the unfortunate people who are still without light, food, water, and their homes. We'll get through it though. Thanks so much for asking.

Thanks for asking Pete. We are doing just fine. Even though we live near the coast, we have the Borough of Queens blocking us from the ocean plus we are about 2 miles inland. We never lost power or anything like that so we fared much better than 90% of the people. The only battle now is getting gas. The lines are literally a 1/4 or more of a mile long at most places, and that's if they even have any gas at the stations. Me and Richie made a run into Connecticut late last night and was able to get lucky and find a station with only 7 cars on line. We filled up so we have gas for the week. Tonight Richie is going with his Mom to the same place for her car so I gave him two 5 gallon gas cans to fill up as a reserve which I'll keep in the garage. I'm happy we were spared but feel terrible for all the unfortunate people who are still without light, food, water, and their homes. We'll get through it though. Thanks so much for asking.

Good! I'm glad to hear the both of you are fairing well.

I did 5 hurricane relief missions for the Guard; Katrina, Rita, Dean, Ike, and Gustaf. All five were a mess. Ike erased Galveston Island so I was really concerned about NYC, etal.

Hey Billy, here's the old Yamaha p/n: 4E6-83350-70-00, new Yamaha p/n: 2NV-83350-00-00

MFG p/n: ND FU257CD 12.8 V 85 c/m 27W x 2 + 3.4W 0611300-5561

Thanks!

Edit: A little more digging, this was THE flasher replay that Yamaha used for years and years, on many models.

Last edited:
The turn signals stopped working on the XV today. 3 of the 4 had worked fine. I replaced the bulb of the one that wasn't working, no luck.

Now the turn signals work when they feel like it. Usually they don't.

I cleaned all of the connections, no luck.

When I move the switch I can hear the turn signal relay click. Left has a click, cancel has a click, right has a click, but no lights are lit.

Because they were working before and now the suddenly stopped working, I suspect the relay is going bad.

Any ideas? As the relay is $77.95 from Yamaha. :frown:

I'm pretty sure that the relay is the same, it only switches on/off the power and the current is redirected by the switch to the right or to the left lamps.
I've to look into the schematics... give me a little time. ;)

I'm pretty sure that the relay is the same, it only switches on/off the power and the current is redirected by the switch to the right or to the left lamps.

Yep, then I've checked the Service Manual and i can confirm that the relay is unique for both right-left turn lamps. So it may be only a matter of switch on the handle bar (the fuse is unique, too).
I've a question: is the green indicator light in the instrument panel lit ?
If it don't, you have the confirmation that the fault is in the switch. ;)

Yep, then I've checked the Service Manual and i can confirm that the relay is unique for both right-left turn lamps. So it may be only a matter of switch on the handle bar (the fuse is unique, too).
I've a question: is the green indicator light in the instrument panel lit ?
If it don't, you have the confirmation that the fault is in the switch. ;)

Additionally. Bike flashers are pretty much two groups a 3 wire or a two wire.

Here's a link to an electronic flasher at a great price. It's not load dependent within in a sane load range and will flash steady.

At the bottom of the page. LF1-S series. $8.95! I've used them in a project building wigwag flashers for emergency vehicles.

Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

If you've located your flasher you'll see whether it's a 2 or 3 wire. :cowboy:

LF1-S-FLAT-led-flasher-store.jpg

The relay is available on ebay for about $20 I have used them they work fine spay some penetrating oil in the switch and work it back and forth also check the plug inside the headlight can that comes from the switch. Good luck

Back