turn signal upgrades

hey all,
I'm looking to install LED turn signals and tail lights, do i need to add resistors or whatever or are they plug and play?
thanks!

LEDs are LEDs...if they don't have the resistors built in to the turn signal assembly (like the Watsen's referenced above) then you will need to add some or replace the turn signal flasher with one designed for LEDs.

Last edited:
I don't want to insult anyone but the statement that led's are led's is kinda misleading i owned a dr650 and i had the very common teardrop type led's installed and while yes i did need a different flasher to make them work normal they are far inferior to the led's mentioned above which i have on my fz1 the ones mentioned above are very bright very crisp and the light itself almost looks like a little resistor not like a little bulb which most do, same thing on my travel trailor. I have very cheap led bulbs on my utility trailor and they look like small little bulbs i am sure everyone knows what i am talking about, but on my travel trailor the taillights are led and they again look like abunch of tiny resistors more than bulbs and they are way way brighter and crisper!! so you definately get what you pay for and the ones mentioned above are very high quality i love them and they match my cobalt blue :nana: and if the resisor is not installed in the wiring like the above you can just get a new flasher to replace your oem and you will get the same effect as installing resitor in your wiring at your led's

Last edited:
Take a look at the protons as well, that's what I went with, built in resistors, bright, well built, a bit cheaper then the previously mentioned, but definately longer lasting and better looking, and brighter then a cheap sets.

You can buy official Yamaha LED's from Here
They come complete with the blinker speed regulating resistor, they look awesome and are very bright.
Some pics fitted to my bike Here

I don't want to insult anyone but the statement that led's are led's is kinda misleading...

I did not intend for it to be misleading and I though I clarified it further in my original post. Yes, some LEDs are brighter and of higher quality than others, but they are all going to need some sort of resistor in order to maintain the stock flash rate. That was the point I was trying to make...and yes the watsens are very high quality and very bright. I too have a set on my bike.

You can buy official Yamaha LED's from Here
They come complete with the blinker speed regulating resistor, they look awesome and are very bright.
Some pics fitted to my bike Here

Any chance of some pictures of these fitted to your bike?

I've searched the thread you've linked to but can't see the pictures of the LED's!

What were they like to fit?
Are they a straight swap for the standard Yamaha indicators?
Are they as visible as the OEM indicators?

I've searched the thread you've linked to but can't see the pictures of the LED's!

What were they like to fit?
Are they a straight swap for the standard Yamaha indicators?
Are they as visible as the OEM indicators?

Rusty here are the pictures that you were looking for.

That's weird, when I click the link I provided it goes straight to the pics. Anyway, answers below:

What were they like to fit? Easy to fit as they come with the correct connecting plugs and some spares too. It's a bit tight in the naked headlight assembly but it all fits in there nicely with some cable ties to keep the wires hidden
Are they a straight swap for the standard Yamaha indicators? Yes, thay come with oem shaped plates to cover the oem holes
Are they as visible as the OEM indicators? Yep, See the pics

Last edited:
If I ever have a reason to go the FZ1N route, I think those will clearly be the choice LED signals from Yamabits. Nice stuff!

I also like that they sell the rack and FJR side cases in matching colors for the FZ1. Expensive but it would be so worth it to have a nice matching set for the bike. They are much more stylish than any Givi IMHO.

I've been looking for better looking signals to replace the OEM that worked well, in the interim I was thinking of changing my stock bulbs for LEDs. After pricing the good LEDs, I could just get a set of those for about the same thing delivered.

Just a heads up. I have 4 new genuine Yamaha LED indicators installed and there is a problem. When you push the hazard light button the indicators flash once then die. This is due to the extra load of the supplied resistors. The factory flasher unit is sensitive to the extra current delivered with the resistors supplied with the LED's.
The fix is to get rid of the resistors and install a proper LED indicator relay as found Here :tup:

Just a heads up. I have 4 new genuine Yamaha LED indicators installed and there is a problem. When you push the hazard light button the indicators flash once then die. This is due to the extra load of the supplied resistors. The factory flasher unit is sensitive to the extra current delivered with the resistors supplied with the LED's.
The fix is to get rid of the resistors and install a proper LED indicator relay as found Here :tup:

That is great information to know! Thanks for the heads-up for those who want all four corners. :tup:

After looking at the link to custom LEDs site? This looks like where Copperdog got his items that were sent to me. I have that flasher module as well as his front LED pods which are the same discs on this site. :D

You say if you push the hazard light they flash once and then die. So can you use the normal turn signals again or are they trashed now?

You say if you push the hazard light they flash once and then die. So can you use the normal turn signals again or are they trashed now?

There was no damage caused, the lights just went out.
They are fine but I would suggest a plug and play LED flasher unit so you can get rid of the resistors altogether.

If you only use the indicators normally(with the resistors) there is no problem, it was only when all 4 lights came on that the overloading occurred.

Back