Uneven Mirrors & Plastics?

09thumper

Anyone ever notice on their Gen II that the right side mirror (when sitting on the bike) appears higher than the left side? I just noticed this...

It also looks like the plastic fairings might be uneven.

Ugh, sucks. I bought it new a few weeks ago. Never been dropped (at least by me) so I'm not sure what to do.

If it is new and under warranty, take it back to the dealer and make them replace the fairing stay. That is the skeletal part that holds all this stuff together and keeps it aligned. THEY might have damaged it before you got it... or it was dropped and they replaced all the cosmetic stuff but not the stay.

Can you post up a picture so we can see how uneven they are?

Not sure it would come out in a picture, but I can try. It's minimal but the mirrors are different heights.

If the bike was dropped previously wouldn't other parts (frame, etc) be scratched as well? I didn't see any marks on the bike when I bought it.

I've never brought a bike back for warranty work. Does it have to be with the original dealer in this case? If so that wouldn't be ideal because they're not too close to where I live.

Thanks all...

Thanks guys. I just called the dealer and while friendly, they were skeptical that it would be covered under warranty. Luckily there are no scratches on any of the fairings and mirrors so hopefully this will be covered.

I'll try a closer dealer first but I won't be surprised if they send me to the original dealership.

If your dealer doesn't make it right, call Yamaha Corporate HQ USA in Cypress, CA. Yamaha understands the value of good customer service in repeat business. When I bought mine, the rear wheel had a slightly blotchy powder-coating. It wasn't that noticeable and had no impact on the serviceability of the wheel. Purely cosmetic. My dealer took pictures and sent them to HQ Customer
Service to see if they would replace it. They did. I was pleasantly surprised and wouldn't really have cared if it wasn't replaced.

Last edited:
If your dealer doesn't make it right, call Yamaha Corporate HQ USA in Cypress, CA. Yamaha understands the value of good customer service in repeat business. When I bought mine, the rear wheel had a slightly blotchy powder-coating. It wasn't that noticeable and had no impact serviceability of the wheel. Purely cosmetic. My dealer took pictures and sent them to HQ Customer
Service to see if they would replace it. They did. I was pleasantly surprised and wouldn't really have cared if it wasn't replaced.

Cool, thanks for the tip! This is my second new Yamaha motorcycle and I've been on the fence about picking up a new R1 or R6 for canyon runs as well.

Back