Velocity Stacks.

DJ NEZZ

Recently I fitted the Graves Motorsport R1/FZ1 racing velocity stacks. I could feel an uneven pulse in the low rev range. After fitting these riding around town at 3 grand rpm was smoother and seemed to match my GYTR slipon, cat gut, K&N and YEC [yamaha racing parts] AIS Plug set [5VY-A4890-70]. These stacks give 4hp more at mid and 2hp in the high rev range and are the icing on the cake.:+2:

Last edited:
I have them on my bike as well, but I put them on at the same time that I did the other performance mods so I'm not sure how much of a difference they made. However, I got them cheap enough to take a chance and try them out.

I put the stacks last after the full monty of mods. They helped smooth out the power band. what map are you guys running? I am running a custom map that was made for other bike with same mods. Duke's map was still a bit richer for me.

I put the stacks last after the full monty of mods. They helped smooth out the power band. what map are you guys running? I am running a custom map that was made for other bike with same mods. Duke's map was still a bit richer for me.

I forget exactly which map I have in the PC V right now. I think it was Duke's Stage III smoothed if I remember correctly. My bike seems to like it, but I may try his Stage 4 in the Spring.

Great info guys. I have every intention of getting a set of these when the money allows. I also wonder about the effects on my PCIII program. I intend to do the block off plates at the same time since the bike will be part way torn apart?!? ;)

Recently I fitted the Graves Motorsport R1/FZ1 racing velocity stacks. I could feel an uneven pulse in the low rev range. After fitting these riding around town at 3 grand rpm was smoother and seemed to match my GYTR slipon, cat gut, K@N and YEC [yamaha racing parts] AIS Plug set [5VY-A4890-70]. These stacks give 4hp more at mid and 2hp in the high rev range and are the icing on the cake.:+2:

what are the yec u have on..?

what are the yec u have on..?

Hi CrossOver, the YEC is a kit to blockoff the AIS system. There are 4 ground Steel dowel pins that insert into the cam cover by hammer and blockoff the holes throw into the head by the sparkplug holes, one Ali plug for the air box and the two covers for the top of the cam cover. There are several other methods to blockoff the AIS but this is the correct Yamaha Factory method. I did this 2 years ago now.

Last edited:
Just installed my stacks today, Can't wait to put the old butt dyno to 'em.

Not sure you'll notice much of a difference, but then again I put mine on at the same time I did the exhaust. From what I have seen it's an extra couple of HP so might be hard to judge using only the "butt" dyno ;)

Hi CrossOver, the YEC is a kit to blockoff the AIS system. There are 4 ground Steel dowel pins that insert into the cam cover by hammer and blockoff the holes throw into the head by the sparkplug holes, one Ali plug for the air box and the two covers for the top of the cam cover. There are several other methods to blockoff the AIS but this is the correct Yamaha Factory method. I did this 2 years ago now.

Hi fellow FZ1 riders, Has anyone done the AIS Blockoff using the Factory YEC Kit?

Hi fellow FZ1 riders, Has anyone done the AIS Blockoff using the Factory YEC Kit?

Never saw such a kit for the Gen II bikes. If you don't want to spend the money on a kit from Graves (or another known brand) look on eBay for relatively cheap kits. An even cheaper solution is to just block the hose going into the airbox with a marble ;)

Personally unless you're going to enable the AIS kit again down the road it's best to just remove the whole thing and install the block off plates. Will make plug changing a bit easier as well.

Hi Hellgate, The kit is Yamaha Factory YEC not Graves, the link is Yamaha Racing Parts under R1 basic engine kit and part number is 5VY-A4890-70.

Am I the only one in the world that that has done mod at home to there FZ1 gen 2. My favourite Yamaha shop here in Auckland told me Im the only one in NZ that has done this. It is a big job.

Well that doesn't look much different than Ivan's or Graves' block off plates. They all basically accomplish the same thing. So the valve cover needs to come off to install this Yamaha kit?

They are all the same. The YEC ones are the official factory race kit. Marble and expoxy. :)

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Well that doesn't look much different than Ivan's or Graves' block off plates. They all basically accomplish the same thing. So the valve cover needs to come off to install this Yamaha kit?

Hi NJFZ1, Yes to fit the 4 ground steel dowel pins the cam cover must be removed. I got the kit cheap from my friend who worked at Yamaha New Zealand but half way fitting it I found the cam cover must be removed and by then I was in to deep to turn back.

Hi NJFZ1, Yes to fit the 4 ground steel dowel pins the cam cover must be removed. I got the kit cheap from my friend who worked at Yamaha New Zealand but half way fitting it I found the cam cover must be removed and by then I was in to deep to turn back.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the Yamaha kit plugs the internal passages as well and not just the holes on top of the valve cover.

Back